• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Studio

13 posts in this topic

Is The Studio book released in 1979 with Kaluta, Wrightson, Windsor-Smith, and Jones art a must have?

Yes, though it is poorly designed (IMHO) with intriguing but frustratingly tiny photographs of the studio and the artists. Also, the glue holding pages together is notorious for failure. But yeah, it's a must have because of the level of talent that comes together for that (unfortunately) short time, which makes it far better than nothing at all.

Scott Williams

Is The Studio book released in 1979 with Kaluta, Wrightson, Windsor-Smith, and Jones art a must have?

Yes, though it is poorly designed (IMHO) with intriguing but frustratingly tiny photographs of the studio and the artists. Also, the glue holding pages together is notorious for failure. But yeah, it's a must have because of the level of talent that comes together for that (unfortunately) short time, which makes it far better than nothing at all.

Scott Williams

Doing some reading it's not surprising to hear about the design. It seems like none of them could agree much about how the book should be done.

I have been looking for one for a while, just haven't found one reasonably priced.

I don't want it as a collectible, but for the art, however I won't buy one that is falling apart.

So, I have bought in lieu:

The Art of Jeffrey Jones, Age of Innocence (Jones), The Jeffrey Jones Sketchbook, Queen's Walk in the Desert (a novel with Jones paintings), and Red Shadows (a Solomon Kane book by REH with several Jones paintings).

From BWS, I like Opus I and Opus II .

From Wrightson I found a Frankenstein book, very cool.

I recommend all of them, I'm sure much of what was in 'The Studio' has been subsequently published in the above as well as elsewhere...

The book is definitely worth having.

Yes, bad binding. Yes, odd design (though very '70s').

I think it is a classic-- I tried to pursue reprinting it a few years ago when I was friendly with BWS, but he told me all the mechanicals were lost in a fire.

I have gone through three copies in the last 30 years re-reading it.