• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink September Focused Auction starts today...

287 posts in this topic

This is the only book I got from this auction but I love, love, LOVE those bondage BA WW covers :cloud9:

better than Robin bondage covers :eek:

why were there so many wonder woman bondage covers in this month's auction ??

was she in bondage on half the covers in the early bronze age?

or are those the only books people figure are worth slabbing?

Wow!! Picked up this for $1400 less than another 9.4 sold last month.

I think the 15 stamp may have turned off a few prospective buyers. I usually dont mind storestamps, cest la vie, but thats a big lougie there and Id be leery that other more picky collectors might not want the book when I got around to selling it.

That is most likely the reason. I wasn't expecting to win it since the previous sold for $4k and that book had OW pages. I put in what I consider a very conservative bid for that book. It has nice QP, sharp corners, white pages and is a White Mountain. The "15" is the only defect in my eyes and I can live with it.

Am I missing something? It looks like a 65 to me.

(shrug)

Lay off the sauce, will ya. Drunken posting is Tropper & Boozad's domain

Who's Tropper?

That's what happens when they put the "o" & "p" keys right next to each other :mad:

Wow!! Picked up this for $1400 less than another 9.4 sold last month.

I think the 15 stamp may have turned off a few prospective buyers. I usually dont mind storestamps, cest la vie, but thats a big lougie there and Id be leery that other more picky collectors might not want the book when I got around to selling it.

That is most likely the reason. I wasn't expecting to win it since the previous sold for $4k and that book had OW pages. I put in what I consider a very conservative bid for that book. It has nice QP, sharp corners, white pages and is a White Mountain. The "15" is the only defect in my eyes and I can live with it.

Am I missing something? It looks like a 65 to me.

(shrug)

Lay off the sauce, will ya. Drunken posting is Tropper, Boozad's and The Watchers domain

Who's Tropper?

That's what happens when they put the "o" & "p" keys right next to each other :mad:

fixed

Catching up on this thread made me to feel sorry for some of sellers whose nice books went for prices that were depressing to see the final dollar value.

I see a lot of ticked off cosigners at the end of these auctions.

When I see good books common or not going for sometimes half of GPA I wonder where the best place to sell vintage comic books is right now.

Catching up on this thread made me to feel sorry for some of sellers whose nice books went for prices that were depressing to see the final dollar value.

When I see good books common or not going for sometimes half of GPA I wonder where the best place to sell vintage comic books is right now.

Could be that the overall market is softening...

Why depressing? This is how the free market works, and right now, it favors the buyer over the seller. From my perspective, its pretty awesome to be able to buy Silver and Bronze high grade gems for barely above the cost of certification.

Stuff like this has to happen for the market to "shake out" and the oversupply to clear out. Expect some more depressing prices in the next 6-12 months.

Why depressing? This is how the free market works, and right now, it favors the buyer over the seller. From my perspective, its pretty awesome to be able to buy Silver and Bronze high grade gems for barely above the cost of certification.

Stuff like this has to happen for the market to "shake out" and the oversupply to clear out. Expect some more depressing prices in the next 6-12 months.

Exactly. If you`re not prepared for the possibility of an under-GPA sales price, then don`t sell now. This will eventually dry up supply and help to form a bottom, and maybe resurgence, in prices.

Of course, maybe when prices do start going up, then a flood of pent-up supply will hit the market. Hence why I`ve always advised people not to collect common books in common grades unless it`s because they really want the book (as opposed to an investment opportunity).

Exactly. If you`re not prepared for the possibility of an under-GPA sales price, then don`t sell now. This will eventually dry up supply and help to form a bottom, and maybe resurgence, in prices.

Of course, maybe when prices do start going up, then a flood of pent-up supply will hit the market. Hence why I`ve always advised people not to collect common books in common grades unless it`s because they really want the book (as opposed to an investment opportunity).

Its a great time to buy even the "not-so-common" stuff that's selling real cheap. The Millie # 201 9.2 I picked up is a book I happily would've paid $50 for because its so tough to find in super nice shape. Its also the highest graded copy. I won it for $9 for a rare late-run issue that guides for over $30. If it was 2006, my guess the book sells for $60-$75 easy.

Rule of thumb; if you can get a 9.2/9.4 Marvel from 68-73 for less then the cost of certification, and way less then Guide, its a good time to buy. I honestly paid "raw" convention type prices for beautiful certified books. I'm hoping we get a repeat of this phenomenon at the next set of auctions... :wishluck:

yup, like anything else, the market is the market. I am sure not many people feel sorry for folks that bought houses at the height of the market and now have to unload them at half the price.

Same thing with comics. I am sure there are plenty of flippers here that made decent money for a long time and could never imagine that they can loose money.

I noticed a 9.0 TOS #39 was recently won ac CLink for $20k, that is below the $24k recorded by GPA.

From my perspective as a buyer/seller that is not good for the business.

I look at the overall process of buying the book, grading fees, shipping costs, and the waiting time for both the book from CGC and a check from the auction site. I see a waste of time.

The hulk book you picked up best fits my example. A great price for you, but a shaking of the head more than likely for the seller who might feel cheated. Yes, they bare the risk of putting it into auction, but still I would think (just like you would) that kind of book would do very well in that grade.

I understand how the free market works, but when decent SA books common or not go for a hundred bucks in 9.4 grade then you have to wonder when submitters will just stop submitting those type of books to CGC.

With CGC not recognizing the modern age at 1975 anymore then you have to get 9.8’s on most of the books from 1975-1979 to even be worth the time of submitting for resale with how much it costs to get them graded now.

so should the home owners stop listing their homes because the oversupply of homes keep home price depressed for the past few years and for the next few years? common sense say yes, but what if you have no choice but sell because you need money? I am not sure you understand how free market works. Not to go into a contest but cordial debate here. Sellers will continue to submit to Clink if they need money regardless of what they paid for it. How many flippers on here bought books on credit cards and hope to flip for higher price just a month later? I, the buyer, won't be bailing them out paying what they want because they overpaid for it. That is how free market works.

I see plenty of venom toward home flippers so why should it be any differences in any other "investments"

until the speculators are driven out and the market return to some form of common sense, price will continue to be depress. Too many people run into this hobby like the real estate market and now it is starting to show some cracks.

From my perspective as a buyer/seller that is not good for the business.

I look at the overall process of buying the book, grading fees, shipping costs, and the waiting time for both the book from CGC and a check from the auction site. I see a waste of time.

The hulk book you picked up best fits my example. A great price for you, but a shaking of the head more than likely for the seller who might feel cheated. Yes, they bare the risk of putting it into auction, but still I would think (just like you would) that kind of book would do very well in that grade.

I understand how the free market works, but when decent SA books common or not go for a hundred bucks in 9.4 grade then you have to wonder when submitters will just stop submitting those type of books to CGC.

With CGC not recognizing the modern age at 1975 anymore then you have to get 9.8’s on most of the books from 1975-1979 to even be worth the time of submitting for resale with how much it costs to get them graded now.

I started a thread some time ago about CGC conflict of interest, and this was one of the issues discussed.

If CGC starts seeing lower submissions, and they realize it is because of much fewer lower grade submissions than before, then there is temptation there to loosen the grading standards.

And if not by temptation, then by sheer economics. ie. business is down, pay is lowered or people are laid off, the graders know that in the back of their minds it's "better for business" to grade it a 9.0 rather than 8.5.

I suppose this could be one of the reasons why there are CGC grading "cycles" when they grade loose vs when they grade harsh.

It all plays into the game....

I understand the aspects of the free market just fine.

My point is some of these books are going for far less than GPA and that concerns me.

The main correction would be in uber-high grade books which most people can see that coming a mile away, but when 9.4’s start selling for what 9.2’s go for then that concerns me.

I am not saying all the books in the auction were busts, but I am seeing a heck of lot books going for far less then would they should go for and I think like a poster said earlier it’s because they are too many auction sites now.

The economy is playing into the equation of course, but not much as I think people fear.

My point is some of these books are going for far less than GPA and that concerns me.

The main correction would be in uber-high grade books which most people can see that coming a mile away, but when 9.4’s start selling for what 9.2’s go for then that concerns me.

I am not saying all the books in the auction were busts, but I am seeing a heck of lot books going for far less then would they should go for and I think like a poster said earlier it’s because they are too many auction sites now.

The economy is playing into the equation of course, but not much as I think people fear.

What are you fearful of exactly? I'm wondering if you could explain.

Realistically most CGC prices on the Higher Grade common stuff will continue to trend downward every year as more and more are found and pressed up which is no secret.

I just see the other side of the transaction and I know a lot of guys who make a living selling “funny books.”

I can see some of the disappointment of taking the time to buy the book and all the expenses then after to resell it and have it yield garbage results, especially on HG SA.

There is no fear in a comic crash or anything on those lines, just saying.

The Great Crash. hm

Its actually more like The Great Correction. It started with Modern and Copper books in 2008, has moved to Signature Series books, and now has fully engulfed Bronze and late Silver Marvel. Prices down 30 to 80% on many books...it may not look like a stock market crash, but for all intents and purposes, its very much the same. Actually, its a lot closer to the housing market correction in the sense that as great as a house is, its a person_without_enough_empathy to sell in a slow market unless it is priced competitively with whatever else is out there.

Add in a shallow pool of buyers, and you have a spiral of depressed prices as fewer dollars chase more inventory. Afterall, I'm not really concerned that some guy spent $40 to certify and sell a book that I just bought for $10, just like I wasn't concerned that some guy spent $250,000 building the house that I bought for $140,000 a year ago (and could buy for $110,000 today had I waited). Its also partially that thought of "I can get it cheaper tomorrow" that keeps many buyers on the sidelines.

Its called "oversupply" folks, and there is nothing inherently wrong with it....other than the fact its going to take some time to work through it.

Meanwhile, the "good stuff" still sells fine, because, afterall, it's the good stuff that not everyone already has. Otherwise, it would instead be the "common stuff" that no one would be bidding agressively for.

And lastly keep in mind, we are talking about the certified part of the online market, which is still just a fraction of the overall market. With everyone and their mother's heading to the exit at the same time, it puts the few remaining buyers at an advantage when bidding in an open forum. I remember a time from 2000-2005 where the opposite was true, and seller's held all the cards. Not so much anymore.

Realistically most CGC prices on the Higher Grade common stuff will continue to trend downward every year as more and more are found and pressed up which is no secret.

I just see the other side of the transaction and I know a lot of guys who make a living selling “funny books.”

I can see some of the disappointment of taking the time to buy the book and all the expenses then after to resell it and have it yield garbage results, especially on HG SA.

There is no fear in a comic crash or anything on those lines, just saying.

Maybe you should have thought about that before you came on here telling everyone how much money they could make on comics.

:makepoint: