• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan 12

24 posts in this topic

I was doing some re-B n B'ing to my Conan run the other night and came across issue 12 with the Wrightson cover, black picture frame to boot. I checked it in the Guide and noticed that 14 and 15, the Elric issues were still valued higher, so I sat there looking at them and came to the conclusion that 12 should be more valuable because A) Wrightson is an industry heavyweight as well, this is his only issue in the top 24 issues and B) it's an awesome black picture frame cover. This is an issue along with 14, 15, 23 and 24 that should continue to be a Conan must have issue.

The cover of Conan #12 is obviously by Gil Kane. The Grand Comics Database says that the cover is pencilled by Gil Kane and inked by Ralph Reese, and that Bernie Wrightson inked interior pages 4 & 5 of the backup story only.

But you're right, it's still a sweet book! (thumbs u

this thread needs a pic... :makepoint:

conan12.jpeg

As a Wrightson fan... that cover does nothing for me... it does not have that distinctive Wrightson look (if I had been asked cold, I would have said it looked more like a Gil Kane cover :P )...

As a Conan cover, it's not bad, but nowhere near as cool as 14 and 15, thus the premium for them as opposed to it, I think...

Just my 2c

I agree - nice cover and I like Kane's art, but......, it looks like any one of one hundred Kane covers....,

I also like this cover but for the most part find Kanes art ugly, distorted and cheap. I never could see anything Wrightson looking about the cover.....cuz there isn't anything :(

It's a Classic Gil Kane Elbow Cover.

I suppose it is possible Bernie did the inks but I can't tell.

However, there is no doubt of any kind that it is a Classic Gil Kane Elbow Cover.

Just look at that Conan elbow!

I also like this cover but for the most part find Kanes art ugly, distorted and cheap. I never could see anything Wrightson looking about the cover.....cuz there isn't anything :(

At least the cover has a classic looking BWS Conan in the logo which makes Kane's rendition stand out all the more, in a not so good way.

:(

There are some really good Kane covers but also many where a few small details really ruin it. Take a look at Daredevil 104. Cover would be great except Kraven's face ruins it. It done know if it's quite aclassic Kane up the nose shot but his nose looks like a pigs, and his hair looks like a helmet.

IMO...Kane is one of the worst artists ever to grace the pages of Marvel Comics. Always despised his work, and nothing was worse than his Conan.

Wrightson is one of the greatest artists ever to grace the pages of comics.

How could anyone confuse these two guys? Conan #12 is an eyesore compared to Smith's classic work.

I always suspected that this cover was Kane pencils. I may be wrong but look at the postition of the girl and the terrible way the left knee is bent. Plus it has a Kane elbow to boot. Anyone think this might be Buscema inks over Kane pencils?

conan35.jpg

Yup that is a Kane Elbow if I've ever seen one.

Personally I like 35 better than 12.

It appears both covers are Kane covers with some nice inks.

Kane, like Kirby, always looks better when dressed-up by a talented inker.

I don't know if this is JB inking here. Perhaps Ernie C?

Regardless, the inker did a nice job on lots of elements on this one --- disguising Kane's pencils even more than 12's inker.