• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF#1 - please come and give an opinion!

15 posts in this topic

looks like i'm gonna make a NJ to Chicago run this weekend to pick up an old shuffleboard table. since i won't be here to learn more, i thought i'd leave another grading query that should generate some interest and i can see what the opinions were on my return.

i bought this one off the rack at the corner of central avenue and south center street in orange NJ in the fall of 1961. the place was a local luncheonette called Sids. i bought 90+% of my silver age collection there.

i remember being a bit skeptical about this one since it was totally new and the cover couldn't touch my beloved DC's of the day. nevertheless, i bought it, got blown away with the rest of comicdom and have been a true fan ever since.

as you can see, these are sitting naked on the scanner with no mylar or slab to brighten them up. (i may scan one in mylar to see for myself if it makes a difference for aesthetic purposes when selling......... thanks.

1072386290449_FF_1_front.jpg

1076209990648_FF_1_back.jpg

WoW!!...That's a real nice copy for an original reader!!!....I wish my newsstand books from the 60's and 70's looked that good..... thumbsup2.gif.

7.0 only cause of the back cover....

i bought comics from 1956 (had showcase #4 and the first batwoman in detective - both lost forever) until the 5th issue of daredevil and around the 11th issues of avengers and x-men. i was a too self concious teenager who felt it wasn't cool to be seen buying comics and so i stopped for the most part until 2 years ago. that's a span of almost 40 years.........but i never lost the gut feeling i always had and took pretty good care of what i'd amassed.

so what would your opinion on the grade be??

and where's drbanner - i need a dose of reality......... shocked.gif

and where's drbanner - i need a dose of reality......... shocked.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Looks like no one agrees with me on the other thread, so that must mean I can't grade?

This looks like a very solid copy...congrats to you for keeping it in such good shape all these years! 893applaud-thumb.gif My dad still has some of his westerns and funny animal comics from the late 40's/early 50's and they're all pretty beat up.

Anyhow, no MC, no date stamps, writing, or other external "additions" to the book, so I say 4.0! JK, I agree with the posters above that put this book in the 6.0-7.0 range, definitely worthy of slabbing.

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

A nice copy of my grail! 893applaud-thumb.gif

If that doesn't get at least a 6.5 I'd cry.

Very, very, good chance at a 7.0 and don't rule out 7.5 if the graders are in a good mood.

thumbsup2.gif

I think Discount is looking for a F+/FVF FF 1.

Talk to him if you are looking to sell after you get it slabbed.

But I'd hold on until the movie hype gets bigger... gossip.gifwink.gif

Very nice copy. 6.5 to 7.0 due to back cover defect, but a solid 7.0 to 7.5 front cover depending on how much is deducted for the little tear in the things' shorts). However, what the grade won't show is that the book has great colors, no writing or dates, none of the ink bleed through (where the inside is visible from the outside) that usually marrs white covers, and that there are no chips and prechips. That's the nicest thing about the book. The PQ of the book is fantastic. A rarity for FF1s, high grade or otherwise. Beautiful book! thumbsup2.gif

Of course, it goes without saying that you sure paid a great price for this honey! 10cents!!! cloud9.gif Dammmmmmmnnnnn!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

6.0-6.5, with due respect.

Transverse spine creases, though light seem to

be the most detremental problem I see, granted

I'm old and near blind. I see just a slight wrap-around,

which on occasion has killed some of the books

I've had graded. I have some older redlabels that

to this day I can find absolutely nothing else wrong

except the wrap around.....

Very difficult if not impossible to grade this book from a scan; defects don't show up on white or wildly varying colors like the different areas of FF #1 has. It definitely wouldn't go as high as 7.5 and could go as low as 4.5/5.0 based upon the creasing I'm seeing around the spine area. I see a partial spine roll around the monster's wrist area on the hand holding Sue but can't tell how far it runs.

Regardless of the technical grade, that's a very attractive copy of a very desirable book!!! thumbsup2.gif