• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-man #2 - grading opinions?

25 posts in this topic

Bit of wear/pre-marvel tearing along the top cover overhang, 1/8" tear on the back cover (otherwise very nice), nice spine with very light wear, and marvel chipping on the right and bottom edges.

as2.jpg

oh good looks like i may get to go first!!!!

seems like you pretty much covered everything in your description. i'll never quite understand the grading regarding "marvel chipping", because as another poster said today, a missing piece is a missing piece. nevertheless, the spine is really nice and lends lots of eye-appeal to this book. with the small tear on the back, i'm guessing 6.5 - 7.0.

as always, going first is risky, but what the hey............

What is this?

Marvel chipping day!? 27_laughing.gif

I would say a Fine/Fine+ 6.0/6.5, but since CGC doesn't seem to mind chipping it could have gotten a 7.0 or a 7.5 even... confused-smiley-013.gif

heh...it's gotten to the point where I'm not sure whether we should be giving our own opinions, or trying to guess what grade CGC gave the book. Let's see if Murph0 bites my head off for this:

- My personal opinion: FN/VF 7.0 (slight cover wear, slight cover dirt, slight creasing along top edge, marvel chipping)

- My guess at CGC's grade: VF 8.0

Yep, you coulda been a contenduhhhh foreheadslap.gif

Then that makes me psycho strict, as I graded this as between VG+ 4.5 and VG/FN 5.0 shocked.gif

Hater!

Seriously, I'm also a lot more tolerant of blunted corners, subscription creases, spine stresses & the like than I am of raggedy-edge books (though I own plenty of those, too!) I wonder if "Marvel chipping" is CGC's silver-age equivalent to their Golden Age blue-label-resto exception. That is, CGC anticipated they would turn away a lot of Marvel SA business if they were super-strict on chipping, so they decided to give it something of a pass? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif