• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got back from seeing District 9...

123 posts in this topic

Hmm. I don't handle those things very well....is it available at the local video store?

It should be. It came out last winter... None of those story elements are overt by any means, but the they are there and it is skin-crawlingly nightmare-inducing.

98% on Rottentomatoes.com, by the way.

Hmm. I don't handle those things very well....is it available at the local video store?

It should be. It came out last winter... None of those story elements are overt by any means, but the they are there and it is skin-crawlingly nightmare-inducing.

I'll be upfront, it's not my type of flick. It strikes me as a movie made simply to shock people. I prefer something with a little more of a positive (realistic) direction to it.

One of the things I really enjoyed about D9 was the way your view of the protagonist changes.

When we meet Wikus, he is an utter cad, that guy at the office (who is often your boss) who was propelled into a good job by family ties. You don't like him, you don't root for him, you want to see him get thrown into the pit.

In the second act, Wikus is humanized by the occurrence of events that he gets wrapped up in, and you start rooting for him. He becomes a fish out of water, thrown into a situation by chance that he can't control, and obviously isn't well prepared for. You begin to root for him to succeed because he is the underdog.

In the final act the audience starts rooting more for the alien to succeed, and Wikus becomes more of a supporting character.

Some people may attack the allegory as gimmicky, but the fact of the matter is the Movie is about change.

The audience, along with the protagonist Wikus, changes throughout the duration of the film, because it is all about perspective.

At the beginning, the movie is about the sensationalism of the beastial prawns. This is something we have never seen before so we want to check it out. Wikus couldn't give a rats arse about the prawns because he is still stuck into the mindframe of being prejudiced against them (ala alien Apartheid)

When he gets thrown into the Suck, and betrayed by the Establishment and called a prawn-humper, he wakes up and we see his transformation from Grade A Wanker to Everyman start to begin. He is fighting against all odds and the audience starts to like him better and root for him.

In the third act we are transformed by the actions of Wikus into rooting for the alien to succeed. Wikus' self enlightenment and correlation of his love for his wife and the aliens love for his child ties the thematic element of racial (and interspecies) discrimination together.

Some people might not feel that this movie is the greatest, but I believe the director not only made a great looking film with groundbreaking special effects work for only 30 million (a pittance of a cost for a film of this type), but he also incorporated a nice philosophical message. He doesn't MAKE you think about the issue of discrimination, but you eventually DO by following the character arcs described above.

Quite the accomplishment for a first time feature director, and that is why Peter Jackson's name and money are on this film.

I'll be upfront, it's not my type of flick. It strikes me as a movie made simply to shock people. I prefer something with a little more of a positive (realistic) direction to it.

Ditto. I went into the movie having read glowing reviews that mentioned NOTHING of the previously "spoiled" elements. In fact, there is so little mention of any of those themes and the film is so subversive with them that I wasn't sure what I saw was really there.

Honestly, I recommend the film to no one. Not even Dice.

I've not seen Gran Torrino yet. I like Eastwood, so I'm sure it's good.

However, I got suckered into watching The Wrestler which was the biggest piece of I've ever suffered through.

The only redeeming quality was getting to see Marisa Tomei in the raw. She still looks good. :luhv:

Wow, remind me to never take your advice on movies.

:acclaim: Hiyo!

District 9 was an awesome movie (Luckily was able to see it three times at the movies) and completely and utterly better than G.I.JOE, but...

... its time for you to go see Jennifer's Body, because it is equally creepy (Not too scary), good, fun, and enjoyable!

P.S.

You will be actually surprised at about how you actually like Jennifer's Body, promise! :headbang:

Is her acting bad?

District 9 was an awesome movie (Luckily was able to see it three times at the movies) and completely and utterly better than G.I.JOE, but...

... its time for you to go see Jennifer's Body, because it is equally creepy (Not too scary), good, fun, and enjoyable!

P.S.

You will be actually surprised at about how you actually like Jennifer's Body, promise! :headbang:

Is her acting bad?

P.S.

Nope!

Just perfect!

I'm quite surprised TBH! I'll have to see.

Is her acting bad?

P.S.

Nope!

Just perfect!

ahhh, Gran Torrino....how did you know mentioning that film would have a calming effect on me? :cloud9:

Gran Torrino was fantastic in every way possible. Can never go wrong in seeing anything with Clint Eastwood in it. (thumbs u Million Dollar Baby was amazing as well.

(thumbs u

The gamut of emotions that these movies run you through was painful.

The only emotion I felt watching The Wrestler was the screwing I took from paying ten bucks for a copy of it, knowing I'll never watch it again.

I'm with you, a fellow co-worker let me borrow The Wrestler on DVD...man did that movie suck. I found myself just forwarding to the Tomei parts.

???

I'm quite surprised TBH! I'll have to see.

Is her acting bad?

P.S.

Nope!

Just perfect!

I know there is other reviewers, but I have for years love this guys reviews and show (if he was still on it, been retired from TV)... plus, he has always been on point!

Check out his review: (Roger Ebert from Chicago Sun-Times)

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090916/REVIEWS/909169996

P.S.

He ranked, Jennifer's Body... B!

One of the things I really enjoyed about D9 was the way your view of the protagonist changes.

When we meet Wikus, he is an utter cad, that guy at the office (who is often your boss) who was propelled into a good job by family ties. You don't like him, you don't root for him, you want to see him get thrown into the pit.

In the second act, Wikus is humanized by the occurrence of events that he gets wrapped up in, and you start rooting for him. He becomes a fish out of water, thrown into a situation by chance that he can't control, and obviously isn't well prepared for. You begin to root for him to succeed because he is the underdog.

In the final act the audience starts rooting more for the alien to succeed, and Wikus becomes more of a supporting character.

Some people may attack the allegory as gimmicky, but the fact of the matter is the Movie is about change.

The audience, along with the protagonist Wikus, changes throughout the duration of the film, because it is all about perspective.

At the beginning, the movie is about the sensationalism of the beastial prawns. This is something we have never seen before so we want to check it out. Wikus couldn't give a rats arse about the prawns because he is still stuck into the mindframe of being prejudiced against them (ala alien Apartheid)

When he gets thrown into the Suck, and betrayed by the Establishment and called a prawn-humper, he wakes up and we see his transformation from Grade A Wanker to Everyman start to begin. He is fighting against all odds and the audience starts to like him better and root for him.

In the third act we are transformed by the actions of Wikus into rooting for the alien to succeed. Wikus' self enlightenment and correlation of his love for his wife and the aliens love for his child ties the thematic element of racial (and interspecies) discrimination together.

Some people might not feel that this movie is the greatest, but I believe the director not only made a great looking film with groundbreaking special effects work for only 30 million (a pittance of a cost for a film of this type), but he also incorporated a nice philosophical message. He doesn't MAKE you think about the issue of discrimination, but you eventually DO by following the character arcs described above.

Quite the accomplishment for a first time feature director, and that is why Peter Jackson's name and money are on this film.

Wow!!! Just.... Wow!!!!

Great job!!! (thumbs u

I think even I touched myself while reading this. I hope my Wife didnt notice!! :luhv:

District 9 Budget: $30 Million

Total Gross: $111,685,356

Rotten Tomatoes score: 90%

Those who besmirch District 9 = WANKERS :makepoint:

It is amazing that anyone who has dropped $10 believes they have purchased a license to become a film critic!

WANKER??? wow, thats a bit strong for offering an opinion on a film which sucked major bull balls!!!

ROTTEN TOMATOES??? yeah, theres a good standard. Jackson can do no wrong in their eyes after LOTR's. he could do a three minute doocumentry on a guy takin a dump and they'd still give him 90%...

FILM CRITIC??? when you take your family down to subway for their thanksgiving dinner and pay your $10 for your turkey footlong...if it taste like krap, do you not offer comment....reading your post im sure your the first to jump up and shout...are you then a 'food critic' or just and 'unhappy customer'

im an unhappy customer offering opnion on a product i believed was substandard in relation to the cost

think 'wankers' a bit of a strong term to be throwing out on the internet about people you don't know... 2c

ROTTEN TOMATOES??? yeah, theres a good standard. Jackson can do no wrong in their eyes after LOTR's. he could do a three minute doocumentry on a guy takin a dump and they'd still give him 90%...

:o:roflmao:

Wow!!! Just.... Wow!!!!

Great job!!! (thumbs u

I think even I touched myself while reading this. I hope my Wife didnt notice!! :luhv:

I feel that was very well said. It's like, you kinda know that you like the film, and then you read this and it's like, "That's why I like it"

It is amazing that anyone who has dropped $10 believes they have purchased a license to become a film critic!

WANKER??? wow, thats a bit strong for offering an opinion on a film which sucked major bull balls!!!

FILM CRITIC??? when you take your family down to subway for their thanksgiving dinner and pay your $10 for your turkey footlong...if it taste like krap, do you not offer comment....reading your post im sure your the first to jump up and shout...are you then a 'food critic' or just and 'unhappy customer'

im an unhappy customer offering opnion on a product i believed was substandard in relation to the cost

think 'wankers' a bit of a strong term to be throwing out on the internet about people you don't know... 2c

Rotten tomatoes is an excellent site. They don't give any percentage to a film based on their own opinion...they simply compile positive and negative reviews of films and give an average based on that...so it isn't rotten tomatoes assigning it a 90%, rather it is just about every known critic and their review.

You are certainly welcome to dislike the film...however you are more than likely in the bottom 10% who disliked it....so you are going to get some stiff resistance.

They also compile user ratings, although I don't know what D9 got in that department.

I still think it was one of the best movies I saw this year...in fact I was willing to go right back in and see it again only moments later....that is how much I liked it.

Rotten tomatoes is an excellent site. They don't give any percentage to a film based on their own opinion...they simply compile positive and negative reviews of films and give an average based on that...so it isn't rotten tomatoes assigning it a 90%, rather it is just about every known critic and their review.

You are certainly welcome to dislike the film...however you are more than likely in the bottom 10% who disliked it....so you are going to get some stiff resistance.

They also compile user ratings, although I don't know what D9 got in that department.

I still think it was one of the best movies I saw this year...in fact I was willing to go right back in and see it again only moments later....that is how much I liked it.

I liked it even better the second time... ! :shy: