• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top ten copper keys if we started a portfolio?

74 posts in this topic

The 33rd Overstreet had a 9.4 designation (since lowered to a max of 9.2) for TMNT #1 1st printing at $240 in 9.4

The 39th Overstreet doesn't even have a price range for TMNT #1 1st printing AT ALL.

Curiously, it only cites some CGC prices.

So I guess my real problem is in thinking that no one would buy these books in 9.2 for investment purposes. That is probably a false assumption. 9.2s end up being nice BBB rated municipals and 9.8s are like growth stocks with untenable P/E ratios. We are all old enough to remember that phenomenon, are we not? lol

Pick your poison.

Speaking of municipals...my parents bought, in 1982, some nice bonds for our city, funding local projects.

Interest rate?

17%

I kid you not.

As to the other statement, if we're going back to Copper (as opposed to the Spidey #129 we were discussing), it is my opinion that nothing less than 9.8 is "investment grade" for this era. I think the argument could be made for 9.6s, but I imagine the easy availability of 9.8s will relegate all 9.6s...with the possible exception of very rare 9.8 books...and lower to the dustbin.

And the amount of buyers who could tell the difference between what would be an 8.0 and what would be a 9.8 in 1990? What, maybe 10? 15?

The only thing I can say with certainty is that I had an eye for books destined to be nice looking 9.0s lol

I got lucky.

I started off, at the age of 10, in a hobby where you spend most of your time looking at small discs of metal, mostly through a magnifying glass, to see teeny tiny signs of wear and flaws.

So, I just applied that eye to buying comics, with absolutely zero thought to the idea that "maybe one day, this will pay off."

I just wanted the best of the best, and looked for it. The best possible condition, always. And even then, I ignored things. I never, ever, ever looked for "perfect centering." Wasn't even on my radar. As long as the off- center wasn't obvious, lack of physical damage was all I cared about.

I kick myself when I think of the books I sold for nothing.

An easy 9.4 Spidey #94 in 1999 for $15.

A dead 9.8 X-Men #140 (one of the bone white page variants) in 2001-ish...the only comic I ever sold on eBay as "mint"...for $20.

What would probably have ended up in 8.0 slabs of GI Combat #69 and 75 for $177 each in 2002. Now, granted, that was a great price. But now? Those are easy $600-$700 books.

A solid 9.0 of Showcase #27 for $250 in 2002.

:(

I also kick myself for not being 10 years older and doing the exact same thing starting in 1980...instead of 1990.

:cry:

Would add:

Primer #2

Grendel B&W #1 (1983)

very undervalued, what`s the going rate for both 9.6 or 9.8? these are the typical books that has not much interest now but bang would explode if a movie was made. these are the kinda books I am talking about.

I think currently 21 has capped for awhile, I look for it to fall in the next few months, but over time this one is great. Even with some 9.8s to come out lately its still one of the most difficult to moderns to find in high grade. I remember when there was only one 9.6 a few years back just a tough book.

I would almost invest in Transformers 80 before I would 1 that just me though.

as investments?

they're terrible.

both of these books would have been great to find raw three years ago, when there weren't any on the census and would sell for low 4 figures in 9.8 (at least the GJ21 might)*.

now? population explosion, and it's only going to get worse. so if you could figure out a way to go short on those two, that's the way i'd go

* don't have GPA, so it's possible both, either or neither ever sold for $1-3K, although i thought i remembered someone promising to buy a GJ21 for an exorbitant amount of money prior to the first 9.8 making its way onto the census

Here's my list of Copper age books to have

ASM#300

Sandman#1

Saga of Swamp Thing#21

Miracleman#15

Saga of Swamp Thing#37

Watchmen#1

Miracleman#23

Spawn#1

Miracleman#24

New Mutants#98

(thumbs u

Nice list!

I'd have to agree with at least the bold issues, plus I'd add:

Sandman 8 (1st Death)

New Teen Titans 2 (1st Deathstroke)

DC Comics Presents 26 (1st NTT)

Daredevil 168 (1st Elektra)

Amazing Spider-Man 238 (1st Hobgoblin, and a super cover)

Dark Horse Presents 1 (1st DH comic; 1st Concrete)

Here's my list of Copper age books to have

ASM#300

Sandman#1

Saga of Swamp Thing#21

Miracleman#15

Saga of Swamp Thing#37

Watchmen#1

Miracleman#23

Spawn#1

Miracleman#24

New Mutants#98

(thumbs u

Nice list!

I'd have to agree with at least the bold issues, plus I'd add:

Sandman 8 (1st Death)

New Teen Titans 2 (1st Deathstroke)

DC Comics Presents 26 (1st NTT)

Daredevil 168 (1st Elektra)

Amazing Spider-Man 238 (1st Hobgoblin, and a super cover)

Dark Horse Presents 1 (1st DH comic; 1st Concrete)

That a great list,I also like to add TMNT #1 in there as well.