• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top ten modern keys if we started a portfolio?

115 posts in this topic

It all depends on what the goal is. Buying in hopes that at some point in the future there is a spike in interest and you sell for a quick hit is one list. Buying so that after 10 years there is some sure amount of appreciation is another. I'd think it'd be easier to put together a list for the latter, but you would probably get greater return with the bluest chips on the former.

Either way, I think the list of good, reliable investments is no more than 5 or 6 books. So many books have gone soft, especially finite series after they ended. Movies don't guarantee anything, especially non-superhero books. Banking on minor characters that may or may not be put to greater use, with 1st apps that are very low print runs, with the hobby as a whole suddenly going after them after years of being ignored, is not a good strategy.

Personally, I think Sword #1 & 3 are sleepers. I ache for the new issue to come out and am SUPPPPPPERR bummed that it's ending at 24.

The hard part is that it hasn't caught on. That could go either way. Either never noticed by the grander populace and thus a quarter bin book. Or recognized in the future and sought after. Many things could help it in the future. An Omnibus. A killer future series by the Luna Brothers. Eventually, the general populace will realize these guys and they will go Hollywood.

Fear Agent fails because it's too readily available (beyond 10 or 11, I always forget which one). The poor shipping schedule has really hurt it.

Pat

Batman #608 - Always will be an in demand book. 9.8s continually fetch over $1,000.

Say what???? You're not talking about the regular first print are you? Are you talking about an RRP or sketch variant or something? (shrug)

I don't think anyone's suggested Witchblade #1 or Lock & Key #1

I think Locke and Key will, eventually, be a big dollar book. If you haven't read Joe Hill's books...Heart-Shaped Box and 20th Century Ghosts(short stories)...they are a couple of the best books I've read in the past year. I predict a long and successfull career for him as far as books go.

Personally, I think Sword #1 & 3 are sleepers. I ache for the new issue to come out and am SUPPPPPPERR bummed that it's ending at 24.

Pat

I'm never sold on the investment value for a book with a definite ending. Out of sight means out of mind.

It all depends on what the goal is. Buying in hopes that at some point in the future there is a spike in interest and you sell for a quick hit is one list. Buying so that after 10 years there is some sure amount of appreciation is another. I'd think it'd be easier to put together a list for the latter, but you would probably get greater return with the bluest chips on the former.

Either way, I think the list of good, reliable investments is no more than 5 or 6 books. So many books have gone soft, especially finite series after they ended. Movies don't guarantee anything, especially non-superhero books. Banking on minor characters that may or may not be put to greater use, with 1st apps that are very low print runs, with the hobby as a whole suddenly going after them after years of being ignored, is not a good strategy.

I agree that it totally depends on the goal (time and investment). In the list I posted I jumped between blue chippers and possible windfalls.

I don't agree about not making a place for 1st appearances. I suggested some 1st appearances because the investment is so low. If you spend $4 now and it turns out they're the next Gambit or Deadpool then hello ROI(return on investment)!! If they are never seen again then bye bye to the extra lunch at Mcd's.

Do you spend $500 on one book and hope you picked the right one or take the same $500 and gamble on 100 different comics?

Batman #608 - Always will be an in demand book. 9.8s continually fetch over $1,000.

Say what???? You're not talking about the regular first print are you? Are you talking about an RRP or sketch variant or something? (shrug)

RRP. I thought I'd put it in there.

Maybe he means pesos, or crumpets, or whatever the hell it is they use to pay for stuff on the other side of the pond? :shrug:

Beard hairs. I'm so glad you're my buddy ;)

Nothing.

The market is far too young, diverse, and what keys exist are at or near their high values now, or have peaked and begun the long downward slide.

If you buy a Walking Dead #1 in CGC 9.8 for about $400, what are the odds that it's going to go to $800 before inflation eats it up?

And, then, what is "the next hot thing" that you can discover before everyone else? And in the internet age, is this even possible? There is simply no way to know what will "pan out" in the future. New Mutants #98 spent all of the 90's as a $2 book. So did the rest of the Liefeld run, #87 excepted (which was a $5-$10 book.) Who knew it would have any real power as a back issue?

If you bought Ultimate Spiderman #1 CGC 9.8 in 2003 for its average of $500, 6 years later (granted, a small amount of time for investment, but certainly not insignificant) you would have seen that investment shrink a whopping 40%, to $300.

And that's one of the best performing moderns of all time.

Investing in modern comics is like playing the Ring Toss at the County Fair. You're guaranteed to lose.

Buy raw and slab yourself. It is the only way to go, unless there is a book you have to have. But if you slab yourself, you have to be willing to deal with 9.6s and an occasional 9.4. That's where most of the modern collectors have a problem, and it is the only reason that CGC mods go up in price at all. Gotta have that 9.8!

I will do sleepers in another post. Since the OP wanted key to look at I dont think I can find 10 books, but I can find a few good ones. If the print run aint very low, it better get mad love from Marvel/DC fans.(See ASM 36 V2)

Invincible 1,11 & 12 - Most know 1 is a great investment, but if you can find 11 and 12 cheap they also good buy they go $30 NM easy. The' only thing that really doesn't make this book real gold is a higher print run then WD and lack of exposure.

Walking Dead 1 & 2 - Much lower print run then Invincible and a upcoming TV show. This book will do nothing, but appreciate. I dont keep a copy under issue 9 in my ebay store for a week. These 2 books are GOLD right now at least for another few months and I think longer because they television series I think will do well.

Flex Mentallo1 /Doom Patrol 35-36 - Probably Never reprinted good pick up cheap should keep appreciating. Long term investment due to controversy.

Y the Last Man 1 especially if they ever do a movie.

Fables 1 - Dont care for it myself, but others love it.

ASM V2 36 - Yes Yes I know there is a TON in census, but a high grade should continue a slow increase over time.

I cant deny the popularity of Early Goon stuff even though I dont like it myself.

Ones I wouldnt put in my portfolio yet and some never.

Ultimate Spider-man 1 - White or whatever 1 copy - I think that bird has flown the coup. Wouldnt touch it.

Chew 1 - Sorry 4 issues done make this a portfolio book. Not saying it dont have potential.

Batman Adventures 12 - I think this book has very good potential. Harley has to get more popular first, but I think it has potential long term. Its just not quite there yet.

I like Several last issue Valiants/Acclaims as well if they company ever comes back. You cant beat a 3k print or less on a book if a company every comes back.

hack slash # 1 cassy first app

I didn't put this on my suggestion because I think it's a longshot but I did pick up 25 copies for myself. Just a hunch :gossip:

25 copie of the current serie # 1

hack.jpg

or is firstt app in 2004

hackslashfirstapp.jpg