• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've Wasted At Least 7 People's Time - Woo Hoo!

Would US boardies pay for deals in Sterling?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Would US boardies pay for deals in Sterling?

77 posts in this topic

Hmm....so you want me to convert my dollars into some crazy whack Anglo counting system where I don't know the difference between a sterling, a schilling, a crown, a quid, or a norfolk and then send it over to someone in Britainia?

Judging by the direction the $US is heading you may not have a choice soon.

:makepoint:

I thought it was apparent we picked China.

I won't sell over seas. I've had far too many incidents with people either taking too long to pay or then paying and claiming they didn't get their product.

I'm talking about me selling books to boardies in the States, not the other way around. And I've sent numerous packages around the world with no problems (shrug)

Hmm....so you want me to convert my dollars into some crazy whack Anglo counting system where I don't know the difference between a sterling, a schilling, a crown, a quid, or a norfolk and then send it over to someone in Britainia? Not happening, I buy American only, especially after we had to bail your arses out in the WWII.

Ten Hut!

PS. I'm still waiting for my thank you letter from the Queen.

PSS. Yeah for you...I'd convert, but only because you have a good rep here. Random overseas seller, then they're not getting my business.

Is there supposed to be a graemlin inserted in this post somewhere?

Like :D

Or :insane:

Or :/

Hahaha, yeah but I thought I'd try being faceitious just once without a graemlin.

Very interesting question as if the $US continues to slide I will change over to dealing only in $ Canadian.

This is something I have been thinking about for over a year now.

Basically my method wouldn't affect the amount of USD paid out by buyers, I would just receive the relevant amount in GBP without taking the hit. If I priced a book at $250 shipped, the buyer would still only pay $250.

The conversion fees really are killing me at the moment, and I refuse to mark books up to cover the cost.

It would, I'm afraid. :(

Oh well, scratch that idea then. I'll carry on taking the hits :cry:

The us$ is fine, right?

It's all the rage in the 50 states and Puerto Rico.

If they'd put Thomas Jefferson or Hell even Woodrow Wilson or Roosevelt on a Euro the US would be all over converting.

And we'd still have our beloved Pound :grin:

rantrant What are you Brits and Canadians doing buying our American comic books anyway!!! Go collect Beano or Tintin or whatever it is you guys produce. :baiting:

Are any comics actually made in Canada? Or do all Canadian entertainers just go to America to create art? (shrug)

Your Amercian comic books? Printing a comic in the US does not a US comic book make. Of course if we didn't buy what the US is selling then there also wouldn't be the $$ to make the movie version.

As far as which currency I always list in US. I just find it easier than answering all the questions. Even when the CDN$ was worth more than the US$ (which it will again and for quite some time) I still listed in US.

I'm confused how you figure you're losing 5% through the exchange. If I understood your logic here then I may be able to offer better advice.

The us$ is fine, right?

If they'd put Thomas Jefferson or Hell even Woodrow Wilson or Roosevelt on a Euro the US would be all over converting.

We'd still have Batman.

The us$ is fine, right?

Non-conformist.

The us$ is fine, right?

Not with current Euro/Pound rates.... :cry:

And I've sent numerous packages around the world with no problems (shrug)

Did they get back to you undamaged?

Also, did it take less than 80 days?

Perhaps you need to do some research at a little place I like to call the Post Office.

Just a general comment from someone who is primarily a buyer: (I've bought over three thousand dollars worth of books just on the boards in just over a year)

You can add or subtract the 3% paypal,

You can convert the currency any old way you want,

You can charge me for as much shipping and handling and insurance that you want,

But I'm still only going to buy the book if the price is right.

I could care less how a seller works out his final value.

This thread may have more bearing to the Sales thread, maybe not, but I've put it here to gain maximum exposure as I'd like the maximum ampiunt of opinions. (thumbs u

I've sold a fair few books to boardies this year - all smooth transactions and thank you very much to all who've bought from me (worship)

But every time I sell a book I price in $, and my Paypal account is in £, so every time I make a sale I lose around 5% of the price in conversion fees. My question would be would boardies from the States be happy to pay in £ if the fee was converted accurately? This would effectively save me losing money on every sale.

It's partly my own fault as the first time I received a payment in $, Paypal asked me if I would like to set up an account for US currency, but I didn't fancy setting up yet another PP account.

So this is the way I saw around it. It doesn't cost the buyer anything, I pay in $ from my UK currency account all the time, it just takes the relevant amount in Sterling. There are many online currency converters out there that could be used to agree a converted price, and obviously deals would only be done once both parties are happy.

So any thoughts will be gratefully appreciated on this, and if the concesus is a big fat no then I'll continue to accept payments in $ quite happily. I've thrown a poll in for posterity's sake.

Thanks in advance (thumbs u

Sure, sounds reasonable. I'd have no problem with that.

Just a general comment from someone who is primarily a buyer: (I've bought over three thousand dollars worth of books just on the boards in just over a year)

You can add or subtract the 3% paypal,

You can convert the currency any old way you want,

You can charge me for as much shipping and handling and insurance that you want,

But I'm still only going to buy the book if the price is right.

I could care less how a seller works out his final value.

^^

I'm confused how you figure you're losing 5% through the exchange. If I understood your logic here then I may be able to offer better advice.

I sell a book for $180 including shipping. I receive $172 due to the conversion of the currency.

EDIT: This is actually showing up different from last night doh!

Screen.JPG

Perhaps you need to do some research at a little place I like to call the Post Office.

Perhaps you should do some research at a little place I like to call the Library.

Jules_Verne_Around_the_World_in_Eighty_Days_compact_discs.jpg

Perhaps you should do some research at a little place I like to call the Library.

Jules_Verne_Around_the_World_in_Eighty_Days_compact_discs.jpg

:applause:

Literary BURRRRRRNNNNNN.

(sorry, Branget, thanks for the "winner" tag) :foryou: