• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marketplace Sales Threads & Paypal Fees Poll

Sales Threads & Paypal Fees  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Sales Threads & Paypal Fees

71 posts in this topic

I guess it's a matter of why try to antagonize your customers?

Everybody knows CC costs are worked into the sale price at a store or here.

But I bet if you went to TGT and they had 2 prices, one for cash and one for CC you'd get just as irritated and be just as unlikely to purchase.

Again, I say the onus is on the seller, esp for those here that are dealers, as it's a cost of doing business.

If I see a sales thread with 4 or 5 lines of how payments can be made, I just move on.

List your book, list your price and don't get fancy on payments. If you don't want to take the paypal fee, best be sure to accept MO or cheques. I won't subsidize your cost of doing business if you advertise that I have to.

I did neglect to add the obvious "this is the price" option, the poll was intended to ask for preference between the plus or minus PP fee options if someone felt a need to specify that in a sales thread, and how potential sellers are reacting.

Plus isn't everyone using the personal option under "other" in Paypal to avoid fees? I'm certainly using it with boardies I know and have done business with over the years.

Two key things here:

1) If someone can't by via personal, I think a good seller will simply eat the fees.

2) When I ask someone to pay via personal, I fully recognize it is a favor they are doing me because we have done business before. I believe when people pay via personal, it allows me to discount deeper and offer free shipping etc.

Plus isn't everyone using the personal option under "other" in Paypal to avoid fees? I'm certainly using it with boardies I know and have done business with over the years.

Two key things here:

1) If someone can't by via personal, I think a good seller will simply eat the fees.

2) When I ask someone to pay via personal, I fully recognize it is a favor they are doing me because we have done business before. I believe when people pay via personal, it allows me to discount deeper and offer free shipping etc.

+1

I voted for the discount for cash option because I as a seller am getting the same amount of money. Might as well give my buyer a break and give the thieves at Paypal a little less cash.

Not that I've been buying much lately and sellers asking for that

additional 3 % if paying by paypal makes me just move on. We

never used to see that when I first joined. (shrug)

I like the idea of offering a 3% discount if you mail off a international

money order or a check. If I hit the :takeit: I try to always offer to

mail off a money order and most sellers pass. If they are from Canada

I sometimes mail off well hidden cash to avoid those crooks at paypal.

Most of the books I buy aren't worth that much and hopefully that will

change in a few months. :wishluck: Most likely doubtful. :cry:

Sellers that refuse to sell to anyone outside the USA or Canada even

though It doesn't affect me makes me move on also. I've never run

into a member from Europe that questions shipping fees and I'm sure

they accept the fact it costs more to send them their books. I've only

had three selling transactions outside of North America and I've eaten

a share of the shipping to give our members across the pond a break.

If I was a big seller I would have to change that.

I'm using the Personal option with every purchase I make. I haven't requested it yet when I sell, but I may start doing so if the buyer is comfortable with it. If not that's no problem.

Also the PP "personal" option does not provide any protection for the buyer correct?

It's a sad state of affairs if we have to worry about buyer protection here. :(

Also the PP "personal" option does not provide any protection for the buyer correct?

Considering all the probation issues as of late.....I guess it's a sad state of affairs.

Considering all the probation issues as of late.....I guess it's a sad state of affairs.

I think percentage wise it's not as bad as some might think considering how many new users there are on here every week.

Now when is the next cd4ever sales thread?

:popcorn:

Some People Suck.

3% cash discount is the only option that should be offered.

It should be the buyers choice if they want to pay by the personal option since they are the one taking the risk and paying the fees for that lousy option.

I pay via credit card for my protection so there are fees via the personal option and I'm sure as hell not going to pay via personal AND not via credit card to reduce those fees.

That being said, I pay via the personal option at every opportunity here based on who the seller is and the details of the sale (price asked,shipping free or high cost, bought at discount to original asking price) but I will be resorting to sending a cheque if someone has something I want and insists on +3% for paypal or enforced personal payment on all or moving on when I see these terms.

Lately I've stopped even looking at the books listed as soon as I see those terms to reduce partaking in those auctions and encouraging these sellers to have those expectations.

I voted for the discount for cash option because I as a seller am getting the same amount of money. Might as well give my buyer a break and give the thieves at Paypal a little less cash.

Not if you raise your asking price by 3%, then offer a 3% "discount" for cash, which is almost invariably what happens (I know the math isn't exact, but it's close enough). It's the same as senior citizen or student prices. They aren't price breaks, they are price discrimination schemes.

Extra for paypal and discount for cash are the same damn thing, the latter is just wrapped in prettier language. I loathe seeing either, and it makes me think twice before buying.

Some People Suck.

It's not an issue of I don't trust the people I've had many many successful deals with, it's I don't trust the PO, I don't trust international shipping.

So when you pay with a credit card on PayPal, it's only the buyer who gets charged? Why does everyone in the thread think it's the seller who takes the hit? (shrug) This implies the 3% surcharge people are putting up is pure profit. ???

All the same price - c'mon, very few places charge you extra for using a credit card, but because a couple of auction houses do, now people here feel the need?!?

If someone volunteer to pay as "personal" instead of traditional Paypal, I would gladly give the buyer a 3% break. Honestly, a check means I have to hassle with going to the bank and a money order may even require me to go into the bank because my bank's ATM doesn't accept all money orders, making it a bigger hassle. Paypal is instant and convenient. I've seen people post that Paypal users must pay the 3% extra, but have no problem dropping the prices on comics 20% to 50% if the demand isn't there right away.

So when you pay with a credit card on PayPal, it's only the buyer who gets charged? Why does everyone in the thread think it's the seller who takes the hit? (shrug) This implies the 3% surcharge people are putting up is pure profit. ???

Um, no.

Seller advertises item for $100.

*If paid by Paypal(credit card) seller receives $97(approx) after Paypal fees.

*If buyer is going to pay cash, Donut discounts item to $97 because that's what he would have ended up with anyway.