• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marketplace Sales Threads & Paypal Fees Poll

Sales Threads & Paypal Fees  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Sales Threads & Paypal Fees

71 posts in this topic

Most people who you have built a relationship with either buying or selling are more then happy to use the personal option.I do the same for things I buy.

Ive also had people pay by check or MO as well..I dont discount them either as the price is the price ,and usually the books sell for a tad less then asking via the pm haggling that goes on..

I say let the buyers use whatever payment they want to.We as sellers must eat the fees as part of doing sales here.Ive lost money on shipping many times as well but its all a part of doing business right??

We all PREFER the personal option but its a sale right (shrug) Who am I to complain?

2c

I wrote this, this morning in a different thread.

Just a general comment from someone who is primarily a buyer: (I've bought over three thousand dollars worth of books just on the boards in just over a year)

You can add or subtract the 3% paypal,

You can convert the currency any old way you want,

You can charge me for as much shipping and handling and insurance that you want,

But I'm still only going to buy the book if the price is right.

I could care less how a seller works out his final value.

Putting an in-your-face 3% "tax" on a purchase is a customer unfriendly affront to the idea that you want to establish a business relationship with a customer and it makes me feel negative right off the bat before I even look at your wares.

Even if it is "all the same" whether you do that or a 3% cash discount or just ask a price that includes your "costs" the issue is about good PR and presentation.

Charge enough money for your items in the first place and I'm more willing to help pay for these fees.

3% is only if you pay by credit card and not bank balance or personal PP tab, also, i accept check or MO. i don't see what's the big deal here. (shrug)

Only if the receiving boarder has a personal account. If they have a professional account, it's 4% (yes, 4% for us Brits) all the way. Add that onto the 3% adjusted exchange rate, and we do get screwed somewhat.

However, I've never charged extra for using Paypal and never will. Cost of doing business and around here, there aren't any other costs, are there?

My wife and I are currently in the process of trying to buy our first house and I believe every market should work exactly like the housing market. That way every $100 comic book would end up actually costing the buyer $800 when all was said and done.

And, if you could only afford to pay the initial $100 price before all the fees were added, you would have to pay an additional fee for seller's insurance, in case you can't pay off the remaining $700 worth of fees and additional charges for brokers, COA (comic owners association) dues, and other various made up fees.

On a serious note, as a buyer, I started offering to pay the 3% Paypal fees a couple years ago if I was paying by credit card as a courtesy to my fellow boardies. In fact, I usually just add it without saying anything and then let them know afterwords. Personally, I thought it was the right thing to do. However, if boardies are now adding the 3% into the price they are charging and I'm adding an extra 3% to my payment... hm:tonofbricks:

This is all well and good but frankly why should I share the 3% just because they pay cash or check.

If I discounted the item to $100 I sold it for $100, not $97 just because they are paying by credit card or paypal. Besides that 3% is an expense that lowers your profit margin which you deduct on your business tax return.

Should I extend my tax savings to the customer also because they are paying cash?

Electronic payments are a cost of doing business.

The thread wasn't about whether there SHOULD be an adjustment for non-Paypal no fee payments, but if it was stated which method would be more desired to be seen as a buyer.

And, for the most part, these aren't business transactions, and I'm with you a price is a price, some I have to eat the additional cost, some I don't, and then there are the alechollands who make sure I don't absorb that cost at all. (worship)

I voted for the discount for cash option because I as a seller am getting the same amount of money. Might as well give my buyer a break and give the thieves at Paypal a little less cash.

Not if you raise your asking price by 3%, then offer a 3% "discount" for cash, which is almost invariably what happens (I know the math isn't exact, but it's close enough). It's the same as senior citizen or student prices. They aren't price breaks, they are price discrimination schemes.

Extra for paypal and discount for cash are the same damn thing, the latter is just wrapped in prettier language. I loathe seeing either, and it makes me think twice before buying.

true dat

It seems that until recently, asking for the extra 3% was considered bad form.

I voted for the discount for cash option because I as a seller am getting the same amount of money. Might as well give my buyer a break and give the thieves at Paypal a little less cash.

Not if you raise your asking price by 3%, then offer a 3% "discount" for cash, which is almost invariably what happens (I know the math isn't exact, but it's close enough). It's the same as senior citizen or student prices. They aren't price breaks, they are price discrimination schemes.

Extra for paypal and discount for cash are the same damn thing, the latter is just wrapped in prettier language. I loathe seeing either, and it makes me think twice before buying.

true dat

It seems that until recently, asking for the extra 3% was considered bad form.

Only because the seller seems to think it cost the buyer nothing via the personal "at your own risk" payment option and they are WRONG.

I voted for crack.

Had I the option, I would have chosen PayPal, money order, check or cash – all the same price. I don’t sell much, but when I do that’s how I do it. I don’t get it. If you buy something with a credit card, does the store charge you extra to cover the fees they’re charged? No. The 3% is the cost of doing business. There are no fees involved in selling here.

Let me repeat – there are no fees involved in selling here. Where else are you going to find a market for your goods at no cost? You go to an auction house and you’ll be paying consignment. You go to ebay, you’ve got insertion and final value fees. You set up at a show, you pay for your table.

If you’re selling a big ticket book at a reduced price for Forumites, then maybe that’s a reason. Otherwise I don’t see it.

+1

Ditto.

+2

+3

+3%

I voted for crack.

Had I the option, I would have chosen PayPal, money order, check or cash – all the same price. I don’t sell much, but when I do that’s how I do it. I don’t get it. If you buy something with a credit card, does the store charge you extra to cover the fees they’re charged? No. The 3% is the cost of doing business. There are no fees involved in selling here.

Let me repeat – there are no fees involved in selling here. Where else are you going to find a market for your goods at no cost? You go to an auction house and you’ll be paying consignment. You go to ebay, you’ve got insertion and final value fees. You set up at a show, you pay for your table.

If you’re selling a big ticket book at a reduced price for Forumites, then maybe that’s a reason. Otherwise I don’t see it.

+1

Ditto.

+2

+3

+3%

lol

I voted for crack.

Well Spoken Sir! ^^

I voted for crack.

+1

Ditto.

+2

+3

+infinity