• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marketplace Sales Threads & Paypal Fees Poll

Sales Threads & Paypal Fees  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Sales Threads & Paypal Fees

71 posts in this topic

I voted for crack.

Had I the option, I would have chosen PayPal, money order, check or cash – all the same price. I don’t sell much, but when I do that’s how I do it. I don’t get it. If you buy something with a credit card, does the store charge you extra to cover the fees they’re charged? No. The 3% is the cost of doing business. There are no fees involved in selling here.

Let me repeat – there are no fees involved in selling here. Where else are you going to find a market for your goods at no cost? You go to an auction house and you’ll be paying consignment. You go to ebay, you’ve got insertion and final value fees. You set up at a show, you pay for your table.

If you’re selling a big ticket book at a reduced price for Forumites, then maybe that’s a reason. Otherwise I don’t see it.

I voted for crack.

Had I the option, I would have chosen PayPal, money order, check or cash – all the same price. I don’t sell much, but when I do that’s how I do it. I don’t get it. If you buy something with a credit card, does the store charge you extra to cover the fees they’re charged? No. The 3% is the cost of doing business. There are no fees involved in selling here.

Let me repeat – there are no fees involved in selling here. Where else are you going to find a market for your goods at no cost? You go to an auction house and you’ll be paying consignment. You go to ebay, you’ve got insertion and final value fees. You set up at a show, you pay for your table.

If you’re selling a big ticket book at a reduced price for Forumites, then maybe that’s a reason. Otherwise I don’t see it.

(thumbs u

I voted for crack.

+1

Ditto.

I voted for crack.

+1

Ditto.

+2

I voted for crack.

+1

Ditto.

+2

+3

I voted for crack.

Dead on Dic k (I love to say that). Selling at Clink or Heritage or Ebay will cost a seller far more than here. If a seller can sell a book anywhere near GPA or market value here I think he is a poopie panties to expect 3% more if paid by PP.

There isn't any difference between listing a book at market and expecting 3% markup if paid by PP or listing a book at market plus 3% and discounting 3% if paid by money order.

Of course, market value is never an exact number and sellers can ask whatever they want and sometimes get it but I would hope that sellers appreciate this venue and are willing to pass a deal on to members (especially me).

I voted for crack.

:golfclap:

I know when I see a sales thread and someone wants the buyer to pay the paypal fee I immediately lose interest, even if it's a book I'm really interested it, I move on. And I know a lot of people do as well out of principle.

Oh the cost of accepting credit cards is definitely passed onto the consumers.

Yep.

Most businesses will find a way to pass on its expenses costs to the customer in the form of higher prices for the product.

That being said, I don't think I'll ever ask for an extra 3%. It's just not what I choose to do.

I voted for crack.

:golfclap:

I know when I see a sales thread and someone wants the buyer to pay the paypal fee I immediately lose interest, even if it's a book I'm really interested it, I move on. And I know a lot of people do as well out of principle.

Yup. I pretty much ignore all sellers in our marketplace that charge the 3% for using Paypal.

Yep.

Most businesses will find a way to pass on its expenses costs to the customer in the form of higher prices for the product.

That being said, I don't think I'll ever ask for an extra 3%. It's just not what I choose to do.

doh! Yes of course, but you know what I mean. Buying a retail item at a store in the mall includes all kinds of costs besides those involved in the actual manufacturing of the product.

Let's use a used record shop, or your LCS as an example then. When you go in to buy a used copy of Exile on Main Street, or the first season of Jonny Quest, or some back issues of ASM, the store doesn’t add on additional fees if you pay with plastic.

Yep.

Exactly you figure it into your asking price. For example if I want to put something up for sale, generally what I want for it is 3x what I've got invested. This 3x easily covers any fees associated with selling the product including purchase and storage

Let's use a used record shop, or your LCS as an example then. When you go in to buy a used copy of Exile on Main Street, or the first season of Jonny Quest, or some back issues of ASM, the store doesn’t add on additional fees if you pay with plastic.

I'd be willing to bet that there are LCS', and record shops that find a way to build those fees into the products they sell. Maybe instead of selling that Jonny Quest DVD for $18, they charge $20 instead.

Look, I'm not saying it's right or wrong or that I agree or disagree with it, simply that it happens and will continue to happen.

All of us as consumers can make the choice whether we want to buy from these people of not.

I factor in things like PP fees in the price when I offer my books for sale.

Exactly.

Just a question for everyone out there. What's the difference of saying up front that you want 3% added or if you build that 3% into the sale price of the item?

I see little difference except to say that the former will generate a lot of angst on these here boards while the latter is likely to just be accepted.

Thoughts?

I voted for crack.

+1

Ditto.

+2

+3

+4 (thumbs u

on a related note, where in the heck is 3% coming from anyway? There are a number of factors to consider that raise or lower that % when it comes to goods not personal payments.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-receiving-fees-outside&countries=