• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what would you do?

50 posts in this topic

Yeah,really!So...what happened?

I wound up cutting it in half and getting the resto on the top half removed. But now I kinda regret the decision...except for the times I convince myself I've got two copies. Then I'm happy.

Great advice. Though I wonder if resub when the new conserved label comes out would be worth it.

Odd thread bump…

I thought the game was to bump Speedy-D threads so he had total control of CG front page.

lol

Yeah,really!So...what happened?

I wound up cutting it in half and getting the resto on the top half removed. But now I kinda regret the decision...except for the times I convince myself I've got two copies. Then I'm happy.

Ha, Ha. Now back to the original question.

If the only restoration was reinforcing the top staple, I would get the resto removed. Absolutely. It's an excellent candidate for resto removal. I don't believe the drop in grade will be more than one point and might only be 1/2 a point. So I think it likely you'll have a blue label 4.5-5.0 book when done. Worth much more, much more satisfying to look at.

In my humble opinion, Flash 105 is "da bomb". For 15 years this book was regarded as the beginning of the "2nd Heroic Age" - or what the Silver Age was called before term Silver Age became popular. I know everyone has come to accept Showcase 4 as the beginning of the SA - but there's a strong case to be made for Flash 105 because it was from that moment on that superhero comics started popping up like pimples on a teenagers face.

Go for it - and let us know how it works out.

Edit: Damn - just now realized this is some old thread resurrected. What the Heck?? So what did you really do? And if you didn't send it in for resto removal - go do so.

I had the resto removed by Matt Nelson years ago. The 5.5 Purple changed to a 4.5 Blue. It's worth a decent amount more now I guess...but I don't really know why I did it. I think, more than the money (I've no plans to sell it), the PLOD stigma was just bugging me.

When CGC comes out with the "conservation" label

When is that going to happen?

-slym

Later this year I think. There was a big todo about it in Gold.

Believe it when I see it. There will be such a thin, thin line.

-slym

See "big todo" above. If they do it right, with clear guidelines or at least clearly discernible guidelines, it sounds like a great way to get the PLOD stigma off of some very nice comics...like my old Flash 105 5.5 PLOD in fact.

-slym

See "big todo" above. If they do it right, with clear guidelines or at least clearly discernible guidelines, it sounds like a great way to get the PLOD stigma off of some very nice comics...like my old Flash 105 5.5 PLOD in fact.

They could also do what they discussed, almost implemented, then changed their minds on at the last minute. Get rid of purple labels all together and just note restoration found on the blue label.

The problem sales wise is a lot of buyers don't even consider a purple label. Creating a new label that is called "conserved" for just certain types of restoration doesn't seem like all that great a solution. How do they know that conserved will be more embraced/any less stigmatized by the collecting public than qualified or restored? I suspect conserved/restored - it will make little difference in value.

The act of slabbing a book conserves it. Your Flash 105 with the staple reinforcement removed is in little danger of falling apart while encapsulated.

EDIT: Unless of course the "conserved" designation is going to be on the blue label.

I had the resto removed by Matt Nelson years ago. The 5.5 Purple changed to a 4.5 Blue. It's worth a decent amount more now I guess...but I don't really know why I did it. I think, more than the money (I've no plans to sell it), the PLOD stigma was just bugging me.

This is really weird, Speedy, as I would actually perform that kind of repair, instead of removing it. There is nothing more annoying to me than having to worry when I handle a book. :)

But I know I would not also keep a book into a case, if it has to stay in my possession. :)