• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Montreal Comic Con Review - w-pics!!!

68 posts in this topic

I used to 'marvel' at the books Gerry Ross sold in Marvel comics back in around 86/87.

It's a shame really to hear he is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Back in the 80's did he really have those books to sell or was it all just bluster?

I used to 'marvel' at the books Gerry Ross sold in Marvel comics back in around 86/87.

It's a shame really to hear he is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Back in the 80's did he really have those books to sell or was it all just bluster?

I think you're looking at a personality type that has to be the center of attention. Talks a bigger game than he plays. I remember going to one of the 1,000,000 Comics stores in college, and finding that they never seemed to have any of the key books they claimed to have. They took want lists to 'check the warehouse' but the books never materialized.

Hi,

Surprisingly, CGC sales were almost non-existent. I sold ONE all week-end. A common 9.0 ASM in the 170s range. A few folks inquired about WHAT CGC is, but no one seemed interested in paying any sort of premium for a graded book...

We had a similar experience in Edmonton and Calgary. I don't think we sold a single slab in Edmonton and perhaps 3 or 4 in Calgary. There is only one LCS in Edmonton that carries slabs and he only has a handful. We did have a fair number of collectors actually ask what they were and some collectors that wanted to look at a slab because they had never seen one in person.

Most seemed to think that a slabbed book would be very expensive. We had one guy come to our booth looking for ASM 124. Brian/500club had a CGC 9.2 copy but the guy didn't want it because he thought it would be too expensive. When he found out he could get it for Overstreet guide he grabbed it.

We spent a lot of time explaining the benefits of CGC and the risks of buying raw. Especially considering all the badly overgraded keys and semi keys we saw for sale in Calgary.

The 124 was actually a 9.0. Dave pretty much did the selling of the book for me. (thumbs u I think he could sell condoms to Mormons.

Hi,

Surprisingly, CGC sales were almost non-existent. I sold ONE all week-end. A common 9.0 ASM in the 170s range. A few folks inquired about WHAT CGC is, but no one seemed interested in paying any sort of premium for a graded book...

We had a similar experience in Edmonton and Calgary. I don't think we sold a single slab in Edmonton and perhaps 3 or 4 in Calgary. There is only one LCS in Edmonton that carries slabs and he only has a handful. We did have a fair number of collectors actually ask what they were and some collectors that wanted to look at a slab because they had never seen one in person.

Most seemed to think that a slabbed book would be very expensive. We had one guy come to our booth looking for ASM 124. Brian/500club had a CGC 9.2 copy but the guy didn't want it because he thought it would be too expensive. When he found out he could get it for Overstreet guide he grabbed it.

We spent a lot of time explaining the benefits of CGC and the risks of buying raw. Especially considering all the badly overgraded keys and semi keys we saw for sale in Calgary.

The 124 was actually a 9.0. Dave pretty much did the selling of the book for me. (thumbs u I think he could sell condoms to Mormons.

I'm not so good at keeping a story straight lol . The guy had been looking for a nice ASM 124 for a long time and he looked so disappointed that it was CGC graded. Brian, when you told that guy the price he almost jumped for joy.