• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis now has a gallery of scans....

80 posts in this topic

I posted this on another string, but it fits here too.

Per Wizard

“The comic, which features the first Superman appearance, is extremely rare. With less than 100 copies known in existence, 27 of them have been CGC graded. Of those, eight have been restored, including the sole 9.0 copy. The highest graded unrestored copy is 8.5.”

They went on to say that it would probably take "at least" 1 mil for someone to part with a 9.0 or better.

I've heard from someone "in the know" that the Action #1 has been color touched. I would hope that's not the case.

We've thrown that around a few times here on the boards...I believe Fishler came out and claimed once that it definitely wasn't color touched. confused-smiley-013.gif

I was going to ask if he posts on here. I thought he did but I have only noticed Vincent.

I was going to ask if he posts on here. I thought he did but I have only noticed Vincent.

I think they both post under the same forum account but sometimes sign their individual names to messages

The Church Action#1 is definitely NOT color-touched. And I have never heard a $5 million figure till now. But since it is not for sale at this time for any price (to the best of my knowledge) ANY number anyone throws out there is all the same. He's just not ready to sell...and why should he be?

I also question the post that the Marvel Comics #1 and All-American #16 are million dollar books right now ... or for many years to come!! Comics prices have come a long way in recent years, but remember, as much as many of us agree that the MH Action is "WORTH" a million, nothing so far has sold for more than in the $300s. I see NO reason those two books would warrant even that much, Jay Parrino's opinions to the contrary. They dont have a tenth of the historical and sociological significance of Supes first appearance and the granddaddy of th ewhole comics industry.

No way.

The Church Action#1 is definitely NOT color-touched. And I have never heard a $5 million figure till now. But since it is not for sale at this time for any price (to the best of my knowledge) ANY number anyone throws out there is all the same. He's just not ready to sell...and why should he be?

I also question the post that the Marvel Comics #1 and All-American #16 are million dollar books right now ... or for many years to come!! Comics prices have come a long way in recent years, but remember, as much as many of us agree that the MH Action is "WORTH" a million, nothing so far has sold for more than in the $300s. I see NO reason those two books would warrant even that much, Jay Parrino's opinions to the contrary. They dont have a tenth of the historical and sociological significance of Supes first appearance and the granddaddy of th ewhole comics industry.

No way.

Umm, Parrino offered 2 million for the Action 1 MH, the guy said he would take 5 Mil.

The Marvel #1 MH copy is OBVIOUSLY worth $1 Million, that's only 3.3 times guide! Considering the owner grades it a 9.8, I'd bet an offer of TEN times guide would be rejected!

I've talked to him about his All American #16 MH as well. He did not give a specific grade but he said it's better than NM! Considering the rarity of AA #16, $1 mil for a 9.6 MH copy is not out of line. BTW he would not sell it for that anyway!

Oh! The All Select #1 MH is also worth $1 Million dollars. That price was offered by a serious collector and rejected ! The offer was made a few years ago, at the time that was about 100 times guide!

Timely

BTW the only reason 300k is the largest amount is because the 4 biggest books have not sold for decades!

Wasn't there also a million dollars being offered for the ASM 1 9.8 ?? - I read somewhere that in Wizard at last year's (or maybe the year before) and the guy turned it down.

I would also like to know why the guy that owns these books hasn't graded them ? - Sure they don't NEED to be graded, but until Steve and his posse get there hands on them and assign a grade, it's all speculation as to what the actually will grade out as. I know we all have received grades that we felt were harsh..a book that we felt was an easy 9.6 comes back a 9.2 - or the reverse happens.

As far as a 5 million dollar book, why not ? - if a Picasso or a Monet painting that hangs on a wall is worth 82 million , then why can't a one of a kind graded Action 1 be in the millions ?! - I watched the 200 most important Pop Culture Icons on VH1 last year, and you know what ...Superman was the number one ICON ! -

Here's a hypothetical question to any and all. Let's say the Action 1 would grade out at 9.4 unrestored. Let's also say it is the finest copy on the planet with no other 9.4 books to match it. Now say you are a BSD with $6 million as your personal fortune. How many of you would pay the $5 million price, if that is indeed what the asking price was, to own the book?

I'll start. I would. To own this culturally significant piece of history with it being the very finest in existence would be the pinnacle of collecting. I would also suspect that if I chose to sell it later I wouldn't suffer a loss even after paying $5 million for it initially. There would probably be others who would pay big bucks to own "the best." And if anyone disagrees then I'd suggest reading this:

web page

I definitely would never commit over 80% of my personal fortune to any one single class of assets, let alone one single item, even a house.

As for the article you provide a link to... Ace, as you know, I like Mark Wilson and have done a fair bit of business with him, but the article is a bit self-serving, and it also reads like one of the articles written on stocks in 1999/2000. Whenever there has been a huge run up in prices in any asset class, ALL prior decisions to invest in that asset class look good, and the investments in that asset class at the very beginning of the run up look spectacular, which is what drives everyone else in, looking for similarly spectacular returns.

I would also like to know why the guy that owns these books hasn't graded them ? - Sure they don't NEED to be graded, but until Steve and his posse get there hands on them and assign a grade, it's all speculation as to what the actually will grade out as.

Not to him; he knows exactly what condition his book is in and probably doesn't care about putting it up to any kind of measuring stick since he'll never get a better copy anyway. I've never met him, but I've seen he and his son at the shows near me and his demeanor and look is really laid back and humble; it doesn't surprise me at all he hasn't slabbed anything.

I can't imagine anyone who needs to send a book to CGC less than someone who gets unsolicited multi-million dollar offers on a book he doesn't want to sell in the first place.

I would also like to know why the guy that owns these books hasn't graded them ? - Sure they don't NEED to be graded, but until Steve and his posse get there hands on them and assign a grade, it's all speculation as to what the actually will grade out as. I know we all have received grades that we felt were harsh..a book that we felt was an easy 9.6 comes back a 9.2 - or the reverse happens.

No need, they are not for sale! Besides, he knows what he has.

Timely

Actually slabbing the book could be detrimental. Without knowing the exact "CGC grade" of the book in question. There's an added aura of mystery to it. It's the best copy of the book, but just how great is it. Noone will know, at least for now.

Brian

Oh I know.....I stated that in my orignal post. He doesn't NEED to slab it, but still...i would be (as well as most of us) as to what they would grade out at..purely speculative on my part....just curious....

Wes, what ddi these get bought for in the first plavce ? Since there was no CGC , but these were always famous books in the pedigree run, I figured he paid multiples of guide...but which guide ? - sorry, hope i am not being too nosy devil.gif

Umm, Parrino offered 2 million for the Action 1 MH, the guy said he would take 5 Mil.

Yes, I have heard the story.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comicgen&Number=285912&Forum=All_Forums&Words=4%20million&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=40&Old=6months&Main=285865&Search=true#Post285912

I heard Parrino offering over 2 million and Dave stating he'd take 4. But I was just wondering if Jay confermed this? gossip.gif

The Marvel #1 MH copy is OBVIOUSLY worth $1 Million, that's only 3.3 times guide! Considering the owner grades it a 9.8,

I completely agree.

thumbsup2.gif

Timely, I guess you have more recent info than the last time I spoke with him. 2 Million was the highest offer at the time. I still do not agree about the three other million dollar books. I sound ridiculously conservative next to these people offering 7 figures for them. I cant see any way they are worth that much, or that anyone not on the pipe would seriously spend that much for them.

As I also posted here, I also dont see why anyone would care to pay so much more for the best copy that happens to be an 9.8 versus a 9.2 or 9.4. If the MH Action 1 were a 9.8 and not a 9.2 or 9.4, should the offers be 20 million not 5???? The idea is its the BEST copy, not how much better it is over the rest. At least to me.

If the first Green Lantern is a million dollar book to you, then whats the 9.6 AF15 worth?? $500K???

BUT - - no one in 40 years of organized collecting has ever seen a better copy, so until one surfaces it IS the best. And it just might be...

I've heard that it might not be........but then I hear a lot of things confused-smiley-013.gifgrin.gif