• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis now has a gallery of scans....

80 posts in this topic

Rip, Id love to know who youre talking about that told you that. Im not a dealer and I'm not on the phone all the time,,, But, you never know about what "people say". Lots of folks were SURE that it was restored because they were told it was...

I have seen a great deal of speculation regarding the price of some rather high profile books. While everyone is more than entitled to their opinion, I think some of those opinions are getting a bit out of hand. Values are being placed on books that are not backed up by an evidence that there are any buyers CURRENTLY willing to pay those prices. A little realism here. No, the Mile High All-American #16 is not worth a million. That is silly.

The Action #1 MH is nice and unrestored. It is in my opinion, a 9.2. The book has the word Church, penciled on the front cover.

There exists another Action #1 that I have seen that is just as nice as the MH (give or take a half grade). This book was purchased 30 years ago and has not seen the light of day since.

Really he graded it that high? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Metropolis sure didn't think it was a 9.8.893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I believe Metro specifically said he thought "CGC would give it a 9.2"; it's possible Metro thinks it's higher. But looking back at Bob's 1992 Grading Guide, there are a bunch of examples of books with 98 and 99 grades which have defects noted that are almost certain to knock them down to the CGC 9.2 to 9.6 levels. Overstreet gave his Spidey #1 a NM 95 in the 1992 guide; CGC gave it a 9.0 grade. I'm still wondering whether the Mint 99 copy of Showcase 4 on the cover of the 1992 guide is the same one that Metro has in the CGC 9.4 case. confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's one from the old guide that people would start a huge WTF?!?!? thread over if they had seen it in a CGC 9.4 case:

OverstreetMarvelMystery16.jpg

Yea, I've still got that grading guide. I didn't think much of it back then either. I thought many of the grades in that book were crazy off, even back then. I don't know about the S4.

I have seen a great deal of speculation regarding the price of some rather high profile books. While everyone is more than entitled to their opinion, I think some of those opinions are getting a bit out of hand. Values are being placed on books that are not backed up by an evidence that there are any buyers CURRENTLY willing to pay those prices. A little realism here. No, the Mile High All-American #16 is not worth a million. That is silly.

$1 Million on this book is only 6 times guide. Look at the CGC census and see how rare this book really is! You know where this book is. Go ahead and offer $1 Million cash for it, if you actually have that much. Your offer will be rejected and laughed away! 27_laughing.gif

Timely

[quoteThere would probably be others who would pay big bucks to own "the best." And if anyone disagrees then I'd suggest reading this:

web page

I'll be interested in seeing what other board members say. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A very interesting article. As the owner of some of those CGC Flash comics he compares to Iron Man #1 I feel lucky to be able to get them at a great price because a lot of people have near mintitus. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Long may it continue................

Don't get me wrong though.....for SA DC's I suffer badly with the dreaded disease.

From the Original Mile High Catalog

All American 16 NM+ $1800

Adventure 40 NM+ $750

Action 22 NM $180 Earliest Action Listed

All Select 2 NM+ $225 No #1

All Winners 1 NM $1050

Batman 1 NM $3600

Blue Ribbon 1 NM+ $225

Capt America 1 NM/NM+ $4000

Detective 38 NM+ $1800 No 1, 27

Green Lantern 1 NM $500

Superman 1 F $1000

Submariner 1 NM+ $1500

Thought some of you might find these interesting.

Gotta Go Game On!

Tom

yours is the second post recently to refer to PGC's rants on the state of the hobby prices. Whats going on? Must be the dearth of internet rants of such length and "seriousness of purpose" on the subject that he gets quoted so often.

He makes many logical points, but I dont agree with much of what he says. And lets face it, he is, after all, putting forth these arguments to solidify his pricing and his beliefs in the way things should be (to ultimately benefit the owners of the very best copies, namely himself in many cases.) For a few years now, he has aggressively paid for the top census copies, amassing them in supreme confidence that the market will pay his prices, and sooner rather than later. Maybe it will, maybe it wont....

As for specifically comparing a Flash #65 in 8.0 to an Iron Man#1 in 9.4...well, I think we all see the obvious flaws in this line of thinking. "Scarcity" alone doesnt mean that much compared to a far greater demand. A number 1 is more sought after than a #65. A 9.4 is a nicer book than a 8.0. Even if there are hundreds of them in equal or better grades. (Until demand slackens that is...) Jay Garrick vs Tony Stark --- which character ha smore fans/collectors today? duh. A GA Flash 65 appeals to who exactly? Only those building a run of GA Flashes. Everybody doing that raise your hands. (besides Ian, that is.)

Anyway.... the market may not conform to what makes 'sense' from any one person's viewpoint. But, overall, it is the sum of everyone's choices about what to buy and for how much. It is what it is. Shouting how it 'should be' no matter how loudly, or how often, or how persuasively wont change things. The collective market opinion may in fact be misguided (undervaluing mid-high grade GA and SA books) or stupid (Ultimate Spidey mania???) but...

I do agree with Mark in general, however. I often buy comics at high prices, and fully expect to come out okay because I agree that you never go wrong buying the 'best'. But I buy them and put them away for some future date. I dont buy them for top dollar, and then immediately dress them up with an even sillier price tag (silly for the 2003/4 market anyway) on my website and pitch 'em like a circus barker to skeptical passersby! But then I'm a collector and he's a dealer. I guess that's his job isnt it?

Kinda like using the seller's real estate broker to advise you what house to buy and what price to pay.

All American 16 NM+ $1800

Adventure 40 NM+ $750

Action 22 NM $180 Earliest Action Listed

All Winners 1 NM $1050

Batman 1 NM $3600

Blue Ribbon 1 NM+ $225

Capt America 1 NM/NM+ $4000

Detective 38 NM+ $1800 No 1, 27

Green Lantern 1 NM $500

Superman 1 F $1000

Submariner 1 NM+ $1500

Gotta Go Game On!

Tom

I'll take them all, please!! I see the Suoes 1 and Avd 40 on there. Oh to go back in time and rescue them from restoration!

But I buy them and put them away for some future date. I dont buy them for top dollar, and then immediately dress them up with an even sillier price tag (silly for the 2003/4 market anyway) on my website and pitch 'em like a circus barker to skeptical passersby!

So what would be wrong with you placing the books you intend to keep for a while on the market bearing the price you eventually hope it will sell for? If it doesn't sell, you've still got the book as you planned to; if it does, then HOORAY!

Gotta Go Game On!

Tom

Is there a MH copy of AS #1, or was it sold before Chuck put the catalog together? Steve? Timely?

As for specifically comparing a Flash #65 in 8.0 to an Iron Man#1 in 9.4...well, I think we all see the obvious flaws in this line of thinking. "Scarcity" alone doesnt mean that much compared to a far greater demand. A number 1 is more sought after than a #65. A 9.4 is a nicer book than a 8.0. Even if there are hundreds of them in equal or better grades. (Until demand slackens that is...) Jay Garrick vs Tony Stark --- which character ha smore fans/collectors today? duh. A GA Flash 65 appeals to who exactly? Only those building a run of GA Flashes. Everybody doing that raise your hands. (besides Ian, that is.)

An IM #1 is more important than a GA Flash. To who....was IM #1 the first apperance of IM ?????????? aaaaaah No. Is IM #1 scarce???????? aaaaaaah No? Is a 9.4 a serious HG for IM #1?????????? aaaaah No. Was Iron Man #1 the first SA appearance????????? aaaaah No.

Is Flash as a comic run more important than Iron Man??????? Arguably so, but the point is moot.

It is generally regarded that the introduction of CGC books has affected GA prices for 6.5 to 8.5 books. Those that do not know GA do not realise that they are HG's for those books. I have bought a number of flash books that were bought for considerably less than their market price in the late 90's.

This is one reason why serious comic dealers focus on SA and BA. That is where the bucks are for those who have HG fever.

dont get me wrong...Im just speaking about where the market is going..not that I think its going in a direction that I agree with, or want to see it go. Do I want another Iron Man #1 in 9.4 for what the market sells them for? No I do not. Its very common, not a first appearance etc etc - - all the things you listed.

But when compared to a non-key GA comic in a run that a handful of collectors are seeking to complete? Like you say, the point is moot. I agree that books in that era are highly collectible in 6.5 to 8.5 grades. But thats a definite minority opinion in the family of comics collectors overall. I also think it will become apparent that these are good buys at todays depressed prices. but.....

I would only start buying them, not for profit when it turns around, but to start to complete the runs. BUT - - I wont. I dont want to start a run that will only lead me to the earlier expensive books after completing these later copies. Because I see limited sales potential. Who's going to waiting to buy my run after I've spent tens of thousands of dollars putting ot together? Not nearly as many collectors that might still (foolishly) want a 9.4 common IM#1 to cap their much easier to assemble complete Iron Man run.

So I'll stick with the key bookends I already have: the #1 and the #104, and not try to fill in the rest.