• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You paid what?!! For a comic book?!!

61 posts in this topic

I know once my fiance and I get married and we combine accounts nothing will be hidden from her. I figure once that happens my days of buying HG books will be limited.

My wife and I have so many accounts it's not even funny. We have one main account from which the major bills are paid and we both direct deposit money in there (at least I did when I had a job). :P

We also have separate accounts as well. She has no care as to what I buy so long as I don't hock the house and visa versa. :)

Thats exactly how I do it too. A portion of my paycheck goes into that account in order for me to do with as I please...no questions asked. It works brilliantly.

I have a bank account attached to paypal that is strictly for comics. No money goes is that isn't from comics, no money goes out that isn't for comics. If I slip, it's always using comic money for something else, never the other way around. Kind of hard for a significant other to complain when it's a zero sum (or better) game.

That only works for flippers. :baiting: Besides, you need to make a fairly substantial initial investment to get the ball rolling anyway.

If one is collecting well within their means, whether by buying/selling, or through a fixed disposable budget, it shouldn't be an issue with their significant other either way. If it is, he/she's got serious control issues, and needs a spanking.

That's the key, idn'it?

Most wives generally only care what the man is spending money on if some part of their lives is suffering because of the hobby.

If she and the children are taken care of (or he and the children in case the hobbiest is a she) then rarely is there something to complain about.

Some people can never be pleased it seems but generally as long as everyone is getting what they need and a little of what they want there is no reason you shouldn't be getting a little of what you want too.

That only works for flippers. :baiting:

Yep, "free" comics don't come without a least a little effort.

Besides, you need to make a fairly substantial initial investment to get the ball rolling anyway.

A common misconception. I started out with maybe $300 and in four years I have turned that into....a lot more. :)

I know once my fiance and I get married and we combine accounts nothing will be hidden from her. I figure once that happens my days of buying HG books will be limited.

My wife and I have so many accounts it's not even funny. We have one main account from which the major bills are paid and we both direct deposit money in there (at least I did when I had a job). :P

We also have separate accounts as well. She has no care as to what I buy so long as I don't hock the house and visa versa. :)

Thats exactly how I do it too. A portion of my paycheck goes into that account in order for me to do with as I please...no questions asked. It works brilliantly.

I have a bank account attached to paypal that is strictly for comics. No money goes is that isn't from comics, no money goes out that isn't for comics. If I slip, it's always using comic money for something else, never the other way around. Kind of hard for a significant other to complain when it's a zero sum (or better) game.

That only works for flippers. :baiting: Besides, you need to make a fairly substantial initial investment to get the ball rolling anyway.

If one is collecting well within their means, whether by buying/selling, or through a fixed disposable budget, it shouldn't be an issue with their significant other either way. If it is, he/she's got serious control issues, and needs a spanking.

Some people might need to do that in order to maintain a certain amount of control over spending. In my case we do it simply to make it easier for her to manage the household budget. Its easier to track $75 going into this account every 2 weeks than it is to track all the outgoing as well. Once the deposit is accounted for she doesn't care what I spend it on. The most I hear about it is...

"You got ANOTHER package in the mail?!"

I really dont tell too many people about what I have paid for comics,but I do talk about what they are worth.

As far as the wife is concerned I learned a long time ago to include her in everything with my hobby.She goes to cons with me ,and even helps me with grading a book before a purchase,often going for the higher grade/higher priced book.Its all good when she becomes a part of your world,it makes them feel like they contributed to your hobby.I know my wife FREAKIN ROCKS :headbang:

A common misconception. I started out with maybe $300 and in four years I have turned that into....a lot more.

I didn't specifically say financial investment because, to me, 4 years of buying and selling is a substantial investment of time. That's not a problem if you derive some enjoyment out of the buying/selling process, but if you don't, it doesn't work. I'm content to build my collection at a slower pace and limit my want-list, if it means not having to sell anything in the process.

I'm getting a strong sense of deja-vu; I think we had this discussion already. :grin:

She goes to cons with me ,and even helps me with grading a book before a purchase,often going for the higher grade/higher priced book.

Women make terrific graders because they pay attention to small details while men are busy being wowed by the artwork.

;)

She goes to cons with me ,and even helps me with grading a book before a purchase,often going for the higher grade/higher priced book.

Women make terrific graders because they pay attention to small details while men are busy being wowed by the artwork.

;)

She is a better grader than I am :luhv:

;)

No, not true. Pat's pointed out flaws on a book while I'm all "Duh" over it. :P

;)

Well, then one of us is wrong.

:insane:

Most women do.

Louise is likely similar to you in that she is not a details person...she's more of a "see the whole picture" type but in general women spot those little things...but then Pat is a photographer right? So his eye is trained. We're talking average people. Women notice small details on a man like a good pair of shoes or if his shirt is ironed whereas men simply get wowed by the bright colorful stuff like big bust sizes and red dresses...or Alex Schomburg covers.

;)

Well, then one of us is wrong.

:insane:

Most women do.

Louise is likely similar to you in that she is not a details person...she's more of a "see the whole picture" type but in general women spot those little things...but then Pat is a photographer right? So his eye is trained. We're talking average people. Women notice small details on a man like a good pair of shoes or if his shirt is ironed whereas men simply get wowed by the bright colorful stuff like big bust sizes and red dresses...or Alex Schomburg covers.

Who is this Alex Schomburg guy? I'm pretty sure I've never heard of him... :whistle:

Exciting60cgc90f.jpg

;)

Agree with that statement - they get it faster. They also tend to be better shots. The spouses always kick our boy butz at the annual trap shoot, and they don't shoot anywhere near as much as we do. I think they are more in tune with the 'finer' things...., "aim, breathe, sqeeze, pow...., easy! While the boys are more concerned with, "blam, blam, and blam.., and who cares if I hit the target!!!"

;)

It's the shopping gene.

I usually ask my wife to look over the comics I grade. That is mostly because a second set of eyes on something doesn't hurt.

Talking about comics can be hard with someone who doesn't understand.

At a lot of the auctions in our area, when comic books come up for sale the people bid strangely. $5 value TV covers sell for $10-$50. While more expensive books don't get bids at all which leaves my wife and I to pick up some really great deals.

Like a Brave and Bold 28 for $10.

People bid way over on some of the strangest things at live auctions!

We are just lucky there aren't many comic collectors out our way that go to them.

Most of my friends and family think that comics and cards are a big waste of money. I don't tell them what I pay for stuff as I don't think its any of their business. A few times people have asked my wife what she gave me for my birthday and Christmas and she has answered with a certain comic and she will get a strange look or response from them. I also have received a few snickers and remarks from friends and family. My wife and I usually don't mention it anymore, it is easier that way.

A few of my friends have also mentioned that I don't fit the comic collector personality. They all have an opinion that comic guys are like the guy from the 30 year old virgin. Nerdy, geeky and who lives in his moms basement. I have always as still play a lot of sports including hockey, football and baseball. I am a tough hockey player who have been know to throw my fist in defense of a teammate. I have a beautiful wife, an active kid and a ton of friends. I try to tell them that comic collectors are like all collectors, we come in all shapes, sizes and personalities. For some reason there is a strong stereotype for comic collectors. Sure some are geeks and nerds but not all of us.

I don't drink, smoke or do drugs so my wife is more then supportive of my collecting comics. She don't really understand it but she knows I love it and that it makes me happy so she is cool with it.