• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*The 10 (non-comic) MAGAZINE KEYS !

13 posts in this topic

I figured since a thread was started regarding comic related mag. keys , that we could start a similar one.

* What comes to mind 1st is :

#1 - Playboy #1

#2 - Sports Illustrated #1

Then , who knows ?? Time , Life ? People ? Look ? Sat. Evening Post (Norman Rockwell covers? , etc.

B~

Famous Monsters is good, I think there were some other movie mags that might possibly qualify, there is also a Bettie Page centerfold in one of the early Playboy's, that might be worth finding. Maybe some of the early Sports Illustrated swimsuit editions would be good too.

I don't think the individual Sports Illustrated issues covering various athletes are going to be that big of a collectable, unless it is an extremely famous personality, and then it might be limited to certain fans or areas. I could be wrong, you might get lucky and find a very popular sports figure, I'm just not sure who it would be to appeal to the largest number of people. Maybe something from the early days of the NFL or AFL (shrug) that would seem to have the largest following, baseball, hockey and the rest have a somewhat smaller fan base.

That said, I will go with this one, first of all Warren Mags, Bettie Page centerfold :cloud9:

AH1.jpg

I could be wrong, you might get lucky and find a very popular sports figure, I'm just not sure who it would be to appeal to the largest number of people. Maybe something from the early days of the NFL or AFL (shrug) that would seem to have the largest following, baseball, hockey and the rest have a somewhat smaller fan base.

Not that I know anything about that market, but I wouldn't underplay the amount of interest about golfers. So early SIs with classic Golf covers might do well.

Yeah, maybe some golf SI's would do good, hard to say, might be worth a try if you have any.

After Hours #4 is tough, maybe tougher than the #1 to find. Any of those 4 issues are not exactly easy to locate, I have a #4, but just not high enough grade to suit me. I may get it graded anyway, since there is a grand total of zero graded issues.

Does T.V. Guide count? I would think so. I have some great ones like "When will Liberahi marry?" lol

I also have a #1 with baby Dezi on the cover. I think it was, at the time, the most paid for a photo used for a magazine.............

Technically the most valuable magazine is the 1887 edition of Beeton's Christmas Annual; the first appearance of Sherlock Holmes. A restored copy sold for over $150K at Sotheby's.

Famous Monsters is good, I think there were some other movie mags that might possibly qualify, there is also a Bettie Page centerfold in one of the early Playboy's, that might be worth finding. Maybe some of the early Sports Illustrated swimsuit editions would be good too.

I don't think the individual Sports Illustrated issues covering various athletes are going to be that big of a collectable, unless it is an extremely famous personality, and then it might be limited to certain fans or areas. I could be wrong, you might get lucky and find a very popular sports figure, I'm just not sure who it would be to appeal to the largest number of people. Maybe something from the early days of the NFL or AFL (shrug) that would seem to have the largest following, baseball, hockey and the rest have a somewhat smaller fan base.

That said, I will go with this one, first of all Warren Mags, Bettie Page centerfold :cloud9:

AH1.jpg

That's quite a nice, er, uh mag, there! :blush: (thumbs u

Technically the most valuable magazine is the 1887 edition of Beeton's Christmas Annual; the first appearance of Sherlock Holmes. A restored copy sold for over $150K at Sotheby's.

I'd think there'd have to be other magazines from this era that had important first stories. Dickens? Alice in Wonderland? Sci Fi stuff outside of pulps.

But it's a good question regarding mainstream normal sized magazines from, say, the 1920's on.

Ed