• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer #17 Splash Page

22 posts in this topic

I am sure that a forum member owns this page because i saw it in on the CAF gallery with a NFS status but now i cant find it anywhere. Does anyone know what happened to this page and what it sold for. (thumbs u

ss171.jpg

If you are taking about this one I sold it four years ago along with the rest of my collection for a down payment on a car while in college.

I am sure that a forum member owns this page because i saw it in on the CAF gallery with a NFS status but now i cant find it anywhere. Does anyone know what happened to this page and what it sold for. (thumbs u

ss171.jpg

If you are taking about this one I sold it four years ago along with the rest of my collection for a down payment on a car while in college.

Yes thats the one but i then saw it on a dealers site for about $5-6K a few years ago but was too slow to react and then i saw it on a collectors CAF gallery with a NFS status but now its gone and just wondered what it went for?

ss171.jpg

Yes thats the one but i then saw it on a dealers site for about $5-6K a few years ago but was too slow to react and then i saw it on a collectors CAF gallery with a NFS status but now its gone and just wondered what it went for?

I bought it from Burkey in 2004 for 5K and it was sold in bulk with the rest of my collection the following year.

ss171.jpg

I bought it from Burkey in 2004 for 5K and it was sold in bulk with the rest of my collection the following year.

So it was sold for 5K in 2004 and T.Latner(just found my old notes) sold it in 2005 for 6K so im gussing the page probably sold for around 10K recently (shrug)

ss171.jpg

So it was sold for 5K in 2004 and T.Latner(just found my old notes) sold it in 2005 for 6K so im gussing the page probably sold for around 10K recently (shrug)

I sold my collection to Ted in 2005, so I have no idea if it was just resold recently.

ss171.jpg

I sold my collection to Ted in 2005, so I have no idea if it was just resold recently.

Well i cant find it on the CAF gallery anymore so im assuming it sold. If for arguments sake it has sold what do you think a ballpark figure would be. In fact does anybody have ANY confirmed sales of Buscema Silver Surfer Splash pages from the 1st series.

ss171.jpg

Well i cant find it on the CAF gallery anymore so im assuming it sold. If for arguments sake it has sold what do you think a ballpark figure would be. In fact does anybody have ANY confirmed sales of Buscema Silver Surfer Splash pages from the 1st series.

As for public sales, clearly the #1 was auctioned off several years ago. And, then, of course, the recent sale by Burkey of another splash. My splash was a private deal (#14) back in 2002. Most of the splashes are in long-time private collections.

ss171.jpg

As for public sales, clearly the #1 was auctioned off several years ago. And, then, of course, the recent sale by Burkey of another splash. My splash was a private deal (#14) back in 2002. Most of the splashes are in long-time private collections.

Really? What issue number was Burkey's splash and how much did it go for?

I bought two Silver Surfer back in 2003, one was from issue #11. Got it for a steal at $550.

silversurfer11_1.jpg

Then when I went and picked up the #11 splash the owner had a bunch more splashes and covers from the series including this one. I was able to make a deal for as well

silver_surfer10_1.jpg

And no, they won't be leaving my collection. These are probably the only splash from the original Silver Surfer I will be able to own.

Nice splashes, Brian. Like Wrightson Swamp Thing splashes, there are only a handful of Buscema SS splashes, due to the short nature of the run. Owners are reluctant to part with them, especially the nicest ones. As for market value, I'd be prepared to offer 20-30K for the best of the best, if they ever became available.

ss171.jpg

Ok, when I looked at this piece, I thought all the people looked incredibly stiff. Then I read the word balloons that they had been frozen. hahahahaha. :slapfight:

I love Buscema Silver Surfer, but this piece just isn't doing it for me.

ss171.jpg

Ok, when I looked at this piece, I thought all the people looked incredibly stiff. Then I read the word balloons that they had been frozen. hahahahaha. :slapfight:

I love Buscema Silver Surfer, but this piece just isn't doing it for me.

I on the other hand love this splash and whilst Brian got his splash pages for a steal i always prefer it when the main character himself is in the splash. I would be most happy if this was framed behind glass hanging on my bedroom wall as i think it has a more dynamic impact than most of the other splashes in the series. I am also thinking along the lines of Hari in that there are only 17 Buscema Silver Surfer splash pages from the first series. Also not having any Surfer comics anymore im wondering how many splash pages there are that actually has the Surfer in them.

Hey Rhino im guessing that must have been some car for you to part with that page.

While I would like a splash with the Silver Surfer, I still love these two. The Silver Surfer series was one of my favorites growing up so even if SS#11 doesn't have any major characters I still am thrilled to own it. Besides it showcases John's dynamic style and facial expressions. SS #10 splash is one of the gems of my collection, the image of Shalla-bal reminds me of his romance work.

Len Callo was the man to see about getting a SS splash a few years back (I got both of mine from him). I know he sold a few in recent years but still has one or two along with a couple of covers and the Kirby Silver Surfer #18 splash

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?Order=Date&Page=1&GSub=42457

I'd be prepared to offer 20-30K for the best of the best, if they ever became available.

I think Hari has set the bar for Silver Surfer Splash pages

But he's not alone. I'd be right there with him, and I know plenty of other guys who would be as well, especially from those first 7 issues.

Scott Williams