• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Are The "Best" Flash Issues To Get And Hold On To?

124 posts in this topic

MstrTech, those prices were probably applicable at the peak of Flash prices 2 years ago. With the high rollers all getting out of Flash's (lol for DC's that means 2 people) the bottom has dropped out from this market. You ll probably have to slash 40% off your estimates for the current market value (A 110 9.0 with White Pages just sold in the 5500 range a couple months ago).

Thanks for the heads up. I've got limited resources for research (no GPA) and was just trying to get the thread back on point, after my tangent. But I think you may be suprised at what the Higher grade books bring as they don't come to market very often and some new blood may be interested. I know my dad's did very well last year. hm2c

:grin: (thumbs u

Andrew

I dont disagree that other DC's may do very well, but the market for Flash's has come and gone. The DC market is just very, very thin. In many cases prices are driven by just a couple high rollers who drive up prices, once those people leave the market prices collapse. Guess we ll find out in 2 years whether GL actually rises above this and all the people citing their love for the character are serious or just fluff.

I was referring to Flash out of the top 20 books in my dad’s collection (gross) 5 were Flash and not at prices to sneeze at. Just for FYI:

#123 9.4 $ 19120.00 ( one of only three books that got to 5 fig. behind B&B 28 & JLA 1 )

#129 9.6 $ 7170.00

#124 9.6 $ 5975.00

#130 9.4 $ 4780.00

#139 9.4 $ 3883.75

My dad did not have any books before #122, so can't speak to the early issues, but it seems those are much harder to find. These were also in a 3000 book collection similar to Mound City ( sans Marvel titles ) so I think it's similar.

Andrew

I dont disagree that other DC's may do very well, but the market for Flash's has come and gone. The DC market is just very, very thin. In many cases prices are driven by just a couple high rollers who drive up prices, once those people leave the market prices collapse. Guess we ll find out in 2 years whether GL actually rises above this and all the people citing their love for the character are serious or just fluff.

I will still be there and will gladly take any HG copies off of people's hands for dirt cheap. You can never have too many copies of GL #7. :devil:

Yeah, anything in VF- or lower (and even VF to VF+ on some issues with more HG census numbers) is a tough sell. This is why I question how much demand there is for SA Flash outside of a couple of keys. I have always been able to sell low to mid grade early JLAs, GLs, Batman and Supes at local shows or via consignment through local dealers but Flash has always been a dead/very slow title for me. (shrug)

Sure, the high rollers will always chase HG copies, but the truth of the matter is that this is a minority of the collector base and it is the low to mid grade market that reflects the popularity of a title more accurately. Look at Luke Cage #1, Night Nurse, etc. for example - the crazy prices are only paid for true HG copies by BSDs who need the best copy. Otherwise, those books do not move as most collectors could care less.

Wow, talk about an insult, comparing Flash to Luke Cage and Night Nurse!

As a midgrade collector I'd have to agree that I can get early issues for pretty cheap. Kind of a shame since these are some of the best SA books DC made...

Sorry, bad comparison but I was just naming a couple of books off the top of my head. :foryou: I just wanted to point out that these are supposed "hot" books that are really just hot with HG label chasers. Otherwise, they are slow to dead sellers. You can also add most picture frame cover BA Marvel in 9.0 (or 9.2?) or lower to the list as well.

Just as some collectors branch out from BA to SA, SA to GA, etc. I am starting to

talk to some Marvel Junkies that are branching out to DC. The census proves that high grade DC's are much more rare than Marvels. Even Brulato would have a hard time getting a high grade DC run together(lol) !

As Warner/DC starts to manage their properties more effectively and we see more DC related movies there will be more switch overs. Besides, all it takes to complete any early Marvel SA run (say #1-20) in HG is money and one week. With early SA DCs, on the other you might have to wait years for some issues in just 8.0. That makes the game much more fun. (thumbs u

I was referring to Flash out of the top 20 books in my dad’s collection (gross) 5 were Flash and not at prices to sneeze at. Just for FYI:

#123 9.4 $ 19120.00 ( one of only three books that got to 5 fig. behind B&B 28 & JLA 1 )

#129 9.6 $ 7170.00

#124 9.6 $ 5975.00

#130 9.4 $ 4780.00

#139 9.4 $ 3883.75

Andrew, the prices you guys got were indeed nothing to sneeze at. But in some cases they still represented declines (or proportional declines where we're comparing different grades) from prices from 2006 and earlier.

For instance, here are previous sales of some of the same issues:

#123 9.4 $23K (from 2004)

#129 9.4 $5676 (only 21% less than your 9.6 price)

Prices for HG early Flash are still solid, but seem to have generally plateaued. I think it's a combination of a few collectors getting out, and a (relative) flood of material in the last few years.

#129 9.6 $ 7170.00

#124 9.6 $ 5975.00

#130 9.4 $ 4780.00

#139 9.4 $ 3883.75

Andrew, the prices you guys got were indeed nothing to sneeze at. But in some cases they still represented declines (or proportional declines where we're comparing different grades) from prices from 2006 and earlier.

Prices for HG early Flash are still solid, but seem to have generally plateaued. I think it's a combination of a few collectors getting out, and a (relative) flood of material in the last few years.

Good point on the supply, Tim. I can remember when I sold off my few early SA Flash issues a couple of them in 9.0 or 9.2 were top or 2nd best copies. They have been surpassed since then.

My guess is that we will see the same thing happen with other DC titles as well and it will be interesting to see if the demand can keep prices up on them.

#129 9.6 $ 7170.00

#124 9.6 $ 5975.00

#130 9.4 $ 4780.00

#139 9.4 $ 3883.75

Good point on the supply, Tim. I can remember when I sold off my few early SA Flash issues a couple of them in 9.0 or 9.2 were top or 2nd best copies. They have been surpassed since then.

My guess is that we will see the same thing happen with other DC titles as well and it will be interesting to see if the demand can keep prices up on them.

Agreed, like I said I didn't have much research material and have not been following the market for quite as long as most of you. I simply was offering my opinion, and all I can really say is I hope you guys are at least slightly off for the Mound City Collection and another SA DC collection that will be coming to market soon. :shy:

Andrew

I like 107, 125, 127, 135, 141, and 172. Of course all cover driven and tough to find in high grade.

MstrTech, those prices were probably applicable at the peak of Flash prices 2 years ago. With the high rollers all getting out of Flash's (lol for DC's that means 2 people) the bottom has dropped out from this market. You ll probably have to slash 40% off your estimates for the current market value (A 110 9.0 with White Pages just sold in the 5500 range a couple months ago).

Speaking of high rollers exiting Flash, there is a breathtaking HG collection just consigned to HA for November.

http://comics.ha.com/common/auction/preview.php?Sale_No=7013&Consignor_No=0&optGlobalSearch=&cboDenomination=All&txtSearch=silver+age+flash&hdnSearch=True&SaleNo=7013

I like 107, 125, 127, 135, 141, and 172. Of course all cover driven and tough to find in high grade.

Speaking of high rollers exiting Flash, there is a breathtaking HG collection just consigned to HA for November.

http://comics.ha.com/common/auction/preview.php?Sale_No=7013&Consignor_No=0&optGlobalSearch=&cboDenomination=All&txtSearch=silver+age+flash&hdnSearch=True&SaleNo=7013

So now it appears that the third big Flash collector is exiting. I see some of my books in there, plus some of the books that I lost on which ultimately drove me to sell off my Flashes.

So now it appears that the third big Flash collector is exiting. I see some of my books in there, plus some of the books that I lost on which ultimately drove me to sell off my Flashes.

Tim, how many HG Flash collectors are still in the game that you are aware of?

Why can't the HG GL collectors be selling now as well? :cry: