• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Archie Covers
6 6

1,558 posts in this topic

Here's another fun comparison!

Archie #1, Winter 1942

Archie1p23.png

less than three years later Wilbur #5, Summer 1945

Wilbur5p41.png

Now that was a lazy thing for MLJ to do. It's not even redrawn; they just put Wilbur's head in place of Archie's.

I've got an Australian Archie comic from the 50's that uses the cover art from an issue of Ginger but replaces Ginger's and her boyfriend's heads with Archie's and Betty's.

I'll have to dig those two issues out.

I've got an Australian Archie comic from the 50's that uses the cover art from an issue of Ginger but replaces Ginger's and her boyfriend's heads with Archie's and Betty's.

I'll have to dig those two issues out.

Please do!

Here's another pair

Pep #27 May 1942

Pep27p1.png

Archie #18 Jan-Feb 1946

Archie18p8.png

They really liked repeating those early on didn't they?

They certainly followed the general principle of the early publishers that readership was turning about every 3 to 4 years. So, a story published in '42 could be safely recycled in '46. They certainly never thought that 60 years later, a bunch of 30- to 40-somethings would "expose" their methods tongue.gif

Wow, I'm surprised that that cover is by Fagaly. I assume he was trying to work in the style of Montana/Sahle (and failing, I might add tongue.gif). I like his later work much better. Thanks for the info, though thumbsup2.gif