• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Supes #1 on eBay

23 posts in this topic

That's a member's very own book!

And the reserve is very reasonable! thumbsup2.gif

I'm sure he'll be appearing here on this thread soon. wink.gif

"Did not meet reserve"

I tried to keep the reserve fair, but I guess we'll see what happens smile.gif

I hope for your sake it hits it, I just think the market is a little soft for an extensively restored book right now. You might get lucky though. thumbsup2.gif

If you want a comparison, I recently bought a copy of Detective #1, CGC 6.0, extensively restored (rebuilt spine), for under $10,000. That's less than 40% of guide, and the book itself is exceptionally rare, restored or unrestored. Since Superman #1 is much more common, relatively speaking, I'll benchmark it at 20% of guide and say $24,000.

However, with these types of books, prices obviously vary widely. I've only bought one extensively restored book, ever, so I have like no sample size to draw upon. And with Superman #1 in high grade, guide is meaningless, since the book just flat doesn't exist in unrestored high grade.

So I guess I have no point. I'll stick to my $24,000 guess, with minimal confidence.

The book is a nice book. There hasn't been great difficulty buying extensively restored books @ 1/6-1/7 of guide lately. Perhaps some kid just received some money at x-mas lately and needs to own a Supe 1. Perhaps some individual sold some Nortel and Lucent lately and wishes to diversify. I don't know. Here is what I do know.

http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=13122&Lot_No=17650&src=pr&sid=8DC480B16401FA7F831075808C83FF35#PHOTO

As we see this is a moderately restored book. I wish the seller all the luck and hope he gets his price. Maybe I'm missing somethng after viewing last months auctions but I'm not sure where the high estimates are coming from?

This book has sold in the past. Low sale for a restored 7.5 is $10,355 and the high is $15,525.

My guess for this copy is about $12-13k.

Ok, I can't dispute those numbers. Having purchased very few restored books in the past, I haven't tracked the market for them. But what you're saying, basically, is that Superman #1 VF- 7.5 Extensive Restoration has a current market value equal to somewhere between Fair and Good value in guide.

I knew that restored books were disliked, but I guess I hadn't realized the extent of the loathing. What condition was that book in before restoration, do you think? Because unless it was Poor/Fair, whoever paid hundreds or thousands of dollars to have it restored actually destroyed some serious value. Bummer.

This book has sold in the past. Low sale for a restored 7.5 is $10,355 and the high is $15,525.

Ok, I can't dispute those numbers. Having purchased very few restored books in the past, I haven't tracked the market for them. But what you're saying, basically, is that Superman #1 VF- 7.5 Extensive Restoration has a current market value equal to somewhere between Fair and Good value in guide.

I knew that restored books were disliked, but I guess I hadn't realized the extent of the loathing. What condition was that book in before restoration, do you think? Because unless it was Poor/Fair, whoever paid hundreds or thousands of dollars to have it restored actually destroyed some serious value. Bummer.

\

Just watch. And mark my words,the loathing of RESTORED comics will stop in the future. Reason being , the golden books will be so rare, and in private collections, just finding a rare key will be a task.

A 9.0 sold for $18k.

Timely

Hmmm....

Maybe his reserve is a little optimistic then? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

For whatever reason this book sells for very different prices on eBay and comiclink than it does on Heritage. Recent Heritage sales have this book at around $12k-$13k... but recent eBay/Comiclink sales are different.

On eBay a restored 9.0 hit $50k. on comiclink a restored VG hit $19k. on eBay recently, even an extensively restored VG went higher than a restored VF- sells for on Heritage. I believe even the restored 5.5 F- that was listed on eBay a few months back (not even CGCed) broke the $20k mark with its reserve still not met. If a non-CGCed 5.5 F- restored copy broke $20k on eBay I doubt this one will end at $11k-$12k.

As for the reason there's a big difference in price on this book between Heritage and eBay.. I couldn't even begin to guess. (Maybe Heritage buyers are more anti-restoration?) But I've seen it happen enough times that I would assume its likely not a coincidence.

Honestly though, I don't have any idea where this book will end. My prediction is $25k-$30k. (Somewhere around 20-25% of guide.) I'm always the first to admit though, I could be wrong confused-smiley-013.gif

It may be timing.

There needs to be someone(s) in the market for one when you want to sell.

If not then the only offers you will get are from dealers and flippers.

Just watch. And mark my words,the loathing of RESTORED comics will stop in the future. Reason being , the golden books will be so rare, and in private collections, just finding a rare key will be a task.

I often say the same thing...that since they are so reviled now, more than ever, that prices will bounce back for th ereason you stated. But, if readership and collectors numbers are shrinking, and there is no mad rush NOW to buy restored books since there arent enough UNrestored ones to go around, where exactly will this new demand come from in the future??? If collectors today pass on them at these low prices, why shuld a smallet pool of buyers want them (at higher prices) later??

Cleaned & Pressed is the way to go! thumbsup2.gif