• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is it about those DC 100 pagers?

159 posts in this topic

I have been following Ebay DC 100 page listings since 1998. I have come to the conclusion that if Greggy and I combined our collections of 100 pagers, we would have the finest collection in the world, bar none. That's a fact.

Cool. Either of you guys have any mid-grade Young Love or Young Romance 100 pagers that you want to sell at a reasonable price? Also any mid-grade Unexpected or House Of Mystery or Witching Hour 100 pagers? I would also be interested in a mid-grade DC Super 100 #4 (Weird Mystery Tales) as well even though I just bought a slabbed one above. I would like a Love Stories #5 too but they are quite expensive. Thanks-----Sid

I have been following Ebay DC 100 page listings since 1998. I have come to the conclusion that if Greggy and I combined our collections of 100 pagers, we would have the finest collection in the world, bar none. That's a fact.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Yes, and if Greggy gave me half of his 100 pagers, then we would have the finest collection in the world, bar none. grin.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Yes, and if Greggy gave me half of his 100 pagers, then we would have the finest collection in the world, bar none. grin.gif

I don't know about that because a review of my collection shows quite a bit of them that require upgrades. Of course, they are the more difficult ones. I don't have as much as what icefires says he has (approx 600) but I do have quite a bit! thumbsup2.gif

Well,

I count 19 CGC 100 pagers that are currently at or tied for top census in my collection. I have never submitted an ungraded comic to CGC. I would much rather spend that 30 bucks toward another comic. I do store my books in Bill Cole mylites with Life X-Tender backing boards, and put that combination in 4 mil mylars It that the best way to store books? I don't know.

It is my honest opinion that I have about 5 books that would shock the [!@#%^&^] out out me if they didn't come back a 9.9.

I have watched Greggy buy book after book during the last two years that I would have loved to have, but I just don't have that kind of money.

I'm sure that Greggy is the king of high grade 100 pagers.

You are the man, Greggy.

Question for Greggy and Icefires. Well, you guys seem to be the resident DC 100 page experts (sorry if I'm leaving anyone out). I would just like to know which are your favorites, which are must haves, which are currently undervalued in the guide, which is the best "reader", which book is the most underappreciated and any other "best of the 100 pagers" that you can think of? confused-smiley-013.gif I am trying to build a mid-grade set of at least all the Romance and Horror 100 pagers but will be expanding to the hero books soon. So any answers given may help me make some decisions. Thanks-----Sid

Well,

I count 19 CGC 100 pagers that are currently at or tied for top census in my collection. I have never submitted an ungraded comic to CGC. I would much rather spend that 30 bucks toward another comic. I do store my books in Bill Cole mylites with Life X-Tender backing boards, and put that combination in 4 mil mylars It that the best way to store books? I don't know.

It is my honest opinion that I have about 5 books that would shock the [!@#%^&^] out out me if they didn't come back a 9.9.

I have watched Greggy buy book after book during the last two years that I would have loved to have, but I just don't have that kind of money.

I'm sure that Greggy is the king of high grade 100 pagers.

You are the man, Greggy.

Well...currently I only have 27 graded 100 page giants with only 15 of them currently top census books. Here's a list of my current books:

Adventure 416 CGC 9.6 OW - Top census

Batman 238 CGC 9.2 - OW

Batman 254 CGC 9.6 - OWW - Top census

Brave and the Bold 113 CGC 9.6 WP

Brave and the Bold 115 CGC 9.6 WP - Top census

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 4 CGC 9.4 OWW - Top census

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 5 CGC 9.0 OWW

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 6 CGC 9.4 OWW - Top census

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 16 CGC 9.8 WP - Top census

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 18 CGC 9.6 WP - Top census

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 19 CGC 9.4 OWW - Top census

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 20 CGC 9.2 OW

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 21 CGC 9.6 WP - Top census

Detective 441 CGC 9.6 - WP

Flash 214 CGC 9.6 WP - Top census

Our Army at War 242 CGC 9.0 WP - Winnipeg copy

Our Army at War 269 CGC 9.2 WP

Shazam 8 CGC 9.4 WP

Shazam 12 CGC 9.6 WP - Top census

Superboy 185 CGC 9.2 WP

Superman 252 CGC 9.4 WP

Superman Family 169 CGC 9.6 OWW - Top census

Tarzan 230 CGC 9.6 WP - Top census - Western Penn copy

Unexpected 158 CGC 9.2 WP - Top census

Unexpected 162 CGC 9.4 WP - Top census

Wonder Woman 214 CGC 9.4 WP - Top census

Young Love 107 CGC 9.4 WP - Top census

Plus I have an Action 437 CGC 9.4 and Detective 445 CGC 9.4 to be delivered to me.

Of the above books, only 2 (Adventure 416 and DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 5) were sent in raw. However, I have a lot of books that eventually be sent in this year.

Which books do you have that are top census?

With respect to potential 9.9 books, I hate to rain on your parade because CGC almost never gives out 9.9s for squarebounds.

I'll eventually have to upgrade most of my romance issues. The last All Star auctions had a bunch of really high grade books from the Bill Howard collection which were from the Winnipeg pedigree. However, I quit trying to win them after I bid $250 on some 9.8s with reserve not being met. They'll be relisted next time.

You're right of course about CGC grading anything 9.9. I guess that's another reason I haven't sent them in - I would probably be disappointed. The 5 books that i have that appear to be perfect to me are:

DC-14

DC-18

Superman 272

Unexpected 168

Wonder Woman 211

As far as 19 top census CGC books, I was wrong. A recent submission of high grade romance books knocked my Young Love 109 off the top.

The following list of 18 doesn't hold a candle to Greggy's list. (By the way, Greggy, your Unexpected 158 is also top census). I have no 9.8's, and few "key" issues. Anyway, here is my list of top census:

Superboy 185 9.4

Batman 255 9.6

Batman 259 9.4

Detective 439 9.6

Detective 442 9.6

House of Mystery 224 9.6

Our Army at War 275 9.2

Shazam 15 9.6

Shazam 16 9.6

Superman Family 164 9.4

Tarzan 231 9.6

Tarzan 235 9.6

Wonder Woman 214 9.4

World's Finest 228 9.4

Young Love 114 9.2

Young Romance 198 9.6

Young Romance 200 9.2

Young Romance 204 8.0

My favorites are probably the romance issues, Weird Mystery Tales 4, DC-6 through DC-13, Our Army at War 269 & 275, and Witching Hour 38.

I don't know if any 100 pagers are undervalued right now. The prices I have seen on Ebay have risen dramatically over the last year or two.

The Unexpected run and Young Romance run have surprisingly few high grade submissions to date. I don't know if that means they're scarce, or people don't consider them valuable enough to submit.

Young Romance 201 & 203 are the only 100 pagers that currently have no CGC census.

Comics with only 1 submission on the 1/8 census:

House of Mystery 226

Our Army at War 275

Shazam 13

Unexpected 159

Unexpected 160

Unexpected 161

Young Romance 204

So...it was you who bought the Superboy 185 CGC 9.4 with COW pages from Heritage? I saw that copy at last year's San Diego convention being offered by Comic Heaven for $450! Too bad that they weren't more realistice (around $200), as I may have bought it then.

Thanks, I have updated the Unexpected 158 to show that it is the top census. Yep...the Winnipeg copies of the Young Love run from the All Star auctions are phenomenal! I'll try to win at least one the next time if they lower the reserve. I currently have 2 copies of Unexpected 157 and 162 at CGC and they should be top census copies when they are returned. I also bought phenomenal copies of issues 158-160 in San Diego which will be submitted later this year. It came from he same collection as the Adventure 416! In addition, I have 2 copies of Superman 272 and 3 copies of Detective 439 at CGC now!

I will be slowly submitting more copies of various titles this year that meet my pre-grading of at least 9.4. However, I would like to grade the ones with doubles in 9.4 or better first so that I can recoup the grading costs from the sale of the lower grade copies. Have you sent in any for grading or are you like me and have bought most of your CGC copies off eBay or other sources?

Thanks--Greg.

I would just like to know which are your favorites, which are must haves, which are currently undervalued in the guide, which is the best "reader", which book is the most underappreciated and any other "best of the 100 pagers" that you can think of? confused-smiley-013.gif I am trying to build a mid-grade set of at least all the Romance and Horror 100 pagers but will be expanding to the hero books soon. So any answers given may help me make some decisions. Thanks-----Sid

Hi Sid,

Greggy & Icefires are the guys to talk to regarding valuations and high-grades, but I'm happy to chime in regarding the parts of your question in italics above! The best reads would in my opinion be the following:

-Detective 438-443, based on the new stories by Archie Goodwin, Walt Simonson, Howard Chaykin, Alex Toth, Jim Aparo & others + a very nice selection of reprints

-Batman 255, the final Neal Adams-illustrated Batman story

If you're interested in cheap access to great Golden Age material, then I'd point you to Superman 252 (DC-13), DC-20 (Batman issue) and Shazam 8.

In terms of relative and underappreciated scarcity, the first 3 issues (4:Mystery, 5:Love, 5:Greatest Superheroes) have gotten a lot of attention, but the next 3 are also very difficult to obtain in nicer condition:

7- Superman 245 (a particularly nice wraparound Adams cover)

8- Batman 238 (many, many copies show up with cover ink smudges)

9- Our Army at War 242

G'Luck!

Zonker

Yes, it was me that bought Superboy 185 from Heritage. I'm kind of surprised that I got it for that price....maybe the COW pages kept some people away. Of course, I prefer white pages, but pages aren't that big of a deal to me. I think the spine is most important. I have seen many otherwise beautiful books with that small split or rough spot at the bottom.

I have purchased nearly all of my CGC comics on Ebay. The first CGC graded 100 page DC I bought was #6 (9.0) from Bedrock City (TX) a few years ago. I have seriously considered resubmitting this book many times, as I think CGC missed the boat on it.

The only book I ever submitted to CGC was a Love Stories #5 that I bought from Greg Manning. This is a really nice book, with one major flaw: There is a crease running the length of the comic (front cover) about one inch in from the spine, as if someone had folded the page back at one point in time. It must have happened a very long time ago, because you can hardly tell if you are more than 2 feet away when looking at it. I was just dying to see if CGC would kill me on it or not; they did; it came back a 7.0.

I guess about 300 of my ungraded books are 7.0 or lower, 150 are from 7.5 to 9.0, 50 are 9.2, and the remaining 100+ are 9.4 and above. I am only looking for top census books now (which I can't usually afford), or books that seem to be a really good buy.

Hi Sid,

Greggy & Icefires are the guys to talk to regarding valuations and high-grades, but I'm happy to chime in regarding the parts of your question in italics above! The best reads would in my opinion be the following:

-Detective 438-443, based on the new stories by Archie Goodwin, Walt Simonson, Howard Chaykin, Alex Toth, Jim Aparo & others + a very nice selection of reprints

-Batman 255, the final Neal Adams-illustrated Batman story

If you're interested in cheap access to great Golden Age material, then I'd point you to Superman 252 (DC-13), DC-20 (Batman issue) and Shazam 8.

In terms of relative and underappreciated scarcity, the first 3 issues (4:Mystery, 5:Love, 5:Greatest Superheroes) have gotten a lot of attention, but the next 3 are also very difficult to obtain in nicer condition:

8- Batman 238 (many, many copies show up with cover ink smudges)

9- Our Army at War 242

G'Luck!

Zonker

Hey thanks Zonks. I appreciate the feedback. As a matter of fact I just picked up five of those 100-page Detectives last night on Ebay. They look great. The dealer did not give them a grade but did show a supersize scan of both the front and back cover and they looked fantastic, maybe VF to NM-. Not bad for between $5 - $8 each. I also picked up a Good copy of DC 100 #8 (Batman #238) for just $7. And thanks to Greggy for offering me a very nice deal on a lot of upper mid-grade 100 pagers, although it was a bit out of my price range. With proper "detective" work I have been able to pick up some very nice upper mid-grade 100 pagers on Ebay for $12 and under and only one time did I splurge and pay $133 for a 8.5 CGG slabbed Mystery Tales #4 (link above for that one).

I will seek out the others that you mentioned as well Zonks. I'm not really a WAR guy though, maybe I'll pass up on those but I have really enjoyed the romance books. When you think about it, these are the only comics that we really can relate to on a human level, well, I guess war too for some people. Funny thing about these books. At 40 now, there are no other comics that have more nostalgic value to me than these 100 pagers. Those and the Werewolf By Night books just really bring me back ya' know. Normally I only pursue high grade books for investing or reselling but with these I am allowing myself to "downgrade" to the mid-grades so that I can allow myself to handle them, read, and just let lie around. Anything high grade I buy gets filed away and really not seen until it is time to sell, slab or reshuffle. -----Sid

oops.

drbanner just reminded me that it is the Superman 252 with the Adams wraparound cover, not the 245. The 245 has a black cover, with primarily Silver Age reprints. The 252 is I believe all Golden Age reprints. thumbsup2.gif

Sid, I also remember buying the later 100 Page books new off the stands (I'm also 40, hmmm). As something of a history buff, I really liked seeing the combination of then-modern stories, silver age stories, and golden age/WWII era stories all in one book. One of the Detective 100 Pagers had the then-current Manhunter series by Goodwin & Simonson, and also reprinted a Simon & Kirby story of the same character. cloud9.gif

I'm all hyped up on that DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #4 Mystery Tales book. Not only is it my favorite 100 pager but also the first. I've bought four of them recently. A slabbed CGG 8.5, a G+, a VG+ and just purchased a (hopefully, as advertised) VF/NM. Good deals on all but fair value on the slab.

I think I have purchased all the 100 pagers that I need now, however if anyone is selling any of the Young Love or Young Romance 100 page books in VG+/F- or above for $15 or less then let me know and I'll buy. -----Sid

IMO none of the 100 page giants are really scarce, but the 5 is hard to find. You want a tough DC giant to look for? Try Young Love 69, the only DC romance 80 page giant.

Dammit Silver, you just singlehandedly put another book on my "must have" list. ----Sid