• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this effect the grade?

14 posts in this topic

image.jpg

First of all, this a recent issue of Jenkins/Ramos' Spectacular Spider-Man.

The cover is slightly shifting off center so the pages are showing on the top right side (I have noticed this on the bottom right too).

At the comic store I always lay my comics flat on a big hardcover to get the best one out of the pile. After reading this issue I slid it into a Silver Age bag with board and noticed the cover was missaligned.

Anyone ever see this before?

Am I worrying about nothing?

THANKS!

Let's put it this way.....If I was buying a NM copy of Action Comics #1....I wouldn't let that flaw stop me!!! thumbsup2.gif

As stated before, it's a modern book that will probably take a hundred years to ever really be worth anything, so pull it out of the bag and re-read it a few times and sleep easy tonight. makepoint.gif

I highly, highly doubt this defect would affect any book below the 9.9 level. The main question is whether this is enough to even lower a book down from a 10.0? I would say yes but I don't have enough experience with eyeballing CGC 10.0s to give any insight into what they think about what's allowable in the 10.0 grade and what isn't. I know they allow slight page discoloration and very slight miswrap because I've seen both of those defects in a few scans of 10.0 slabs, but I dunno if they'd downgrade for extremely minor cover/interior offset or not.

Thank you for all your answers!

OK Just one more please.

Picture0001.jpg

This is another modern comic(Extinction Event #5 by DC/Wildstorm).

Picture0002.jpg

I don't know if you can tell from the digi pic but there is some of those darn pages showing near the bottom right. Does this drop the grade down to VF?

Thanks again!

Nope still at least a NM, but most likely a 9.6 to a 9.8 if it's a new copy. If you had a spine roll that caused the front and back cover to not match up, then you can start downgrading the book, but that's just not the case here.

I am glad you are not a grader at CGC......I wouldn't own a 9.4 book makepoint.gif

It doesn't "effect" the grade at all. It "affects" the grade. "Affect" is the action, "effect" is the result.

There goes arnoldt with the hammer, while I chose the more subtle reponse of changing the title and hoping people would catch on. 893naughty-thumb.gif