• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stock market is up. Asset allocation = time to sell comics?

120 posts in this topic

In several other threads, there've been long discussions on why comic prices have soared in the last few years. One reason discussed being that it was a "hard asset" or "safe haven" or type of diversification away from the stock market since stocks had been doing so bad.

It was an interesting hypothesis. If it's true, then we should be seeing hints of it now. Since March, the stock market has not looked back. And continues to show remarkable strength.

So have any of you sold books to take advantage of this? Are you going to sell off books in order to reallocate your "portfolio" and put it back into the stock market? Are you starting to refund your 401k's so you'll have less money to buy books?

So have any of you sold books to take advantage of this? Are you going to sell off books in order to reallocate your "portfolio" and put it back into the stock market? Are you starting to refund your 401k's so you'll have less money to buy books?

I'm trying to sell some books to buy other books! :insane:

You really think there's "strength" in the market right now? :roflmao:

Get ready for round 2. This time it's going to be worse.

In the past 10 months, as a country, we cashed a check that our grandkids will be paying back. Before the end of the year, we're going to do the same for the GREAT grandkids.

Why does everyone have their head in the clouds of utopia and not see what's happening?

I don't think everyone will wake up until it's too late. I really don't.

Did you even read what you typed?

If the stock market is rising, then it's NOT the right time to sell - the right time to sell would be when stocks were down and comic prices were soaring. Soon, it might be the right time to buy, as money flows from comics and to stocks, lowering funny book prices. Right?

This kind of backwards thought is what gets 99% of Americans in trouble.

In several other threads, there've been long discussions on why comic prices have soared in the last few years. One reason discussed being that it was a "hard asset" or "safe haven" or type of diversification away from the stock market since stocks had been doing so bad.

It was an interesting hypothesis. If it's true, then we should be seeing hints of it now. Since March, the stock market has not looked back. And continues to show remarkable strength.

I have some stocks as a method for "diversification", but in terms of making money, I do exponentially better in comics than I ever have with stocks. With stocks there are too many aspects that are out of my control. And comics are far more fun. :)

time to sell comics?

The time to sell was 18 months ago before the big economic tsunami hit. Prices on most books post 1966 have taken a tumble since then. Selling these books now, especially those that are going for less then the cost of certification, seems to be a strategy of dubious value.

If you have nice A-tier Gold and Silver however, you should be doing okay.

time to sell comics?

The time to sell was 18 months ago before the big economic tsunami hit. Prices on most books post 1966 have taken a tumble since then. Selling these books now, especially those that are going for less then the cost of certification, seems to be a strategy of dubious value.

(thumbs u

The time to BUY approaches, and the only sales should be out of need or distress.

time to sell comics?

(thumbs u

The time to BUY approaches, and the only sales should be out of need or distress.

Bingo! :takeit:

If the stock market is rising, then it's NOT the right time to sell - the right time to sell would be when stocks were down and comic prices were soaring. Soon, it might be the right time to buy, as money flows from comics and to stocks, lowering funny book prices. Right?

^^(worship)

In the past 10 months, as a country, we cashed a check that our grandkids will be paying back. Before the end of the year, we're going to do the same for the GREAT grandkids.

Why does everyone have their head in the clouds of utopia and not see what's happening?

Agree. The economic stimulus package has effectively managed to polish a turd. Unless some intrinsic economic growth occurs, driven by true demand and consumption, this anticipatory stock market rise will be short lived.

You were missed, Vince. :cloud9:

Yep, the time to buy stocks was in the spring, with the DJIA at around 6400.

Here's the problem

I own a second home in Mass. The primary source of heating is electric. In the winter I'll light the wood burning stove. Sometimes I use a bit of paper to catch the kindling. My concern is that I might need to use a book or two to get the fire going if I run out of scrap paper. (shrug)

Actually, I'm not sure you read what I typed.

I was not offering my opinion. I was just asking questions to test that hypothesis that people had brought up in other threads.

I actually didn't believe that people were spending more on books since they were taking money out of a poor stock market. But I thought I would follow up to see if it were true now that the market has been going up and continues to be strong thus causing people to sell comics.

I'm neither advocating buying into the stock market now nor selling comics now.

Thought I would make it clear since some of you have gone off...

It believe its called a suckers rally.

The week after Bernanke said "the recession is behind us" about a month ago and everyone wondered if he'd raise the rates the following week, mortgage rates dropped to the lowest I've ever seen them -- 5% 30-year no points, 4.5% 15-year no points. And they've sat right there for weeks without fluctuating much, or at all. Which is great, I was waiting for 4.5% to refinance. Have rates EVER gone below that? I figured not. (shrug)

If rates are that low though...seems like a sign the banks are settling in for a long winter. Not sure that people choosing hard assets won't have the same reasons for choosing them again in the near future.

I buy stocks to make money and comics because I love them. I'm not sure I believe that the soaring comic prices are strongly correlated with the economic mess.

They were on the rise before the shhhhhh totally hit the fan, many driven by movie news and the explosion of the internet back issue market along with CGC's contributions which have changed the game on high grade and long distance transactions.

The market is doing alright, but if these unemployment numbers don't turn around we will see that double dip. Regardless, I will buy comics.

While I'm sure some collectors look at their comics as part of their portfolio, most of us collect comics because we just flat out love them. Profit or loss is tangential to our appreciation for the art form, and the nostalgic feelings they generate.