• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Kirby fourth world books sell?

51 posts in this topic

Those books were hoarded like mad by everyone and their brother.

I think JO 134 might be the exception to this rule, but in general, yeah... they are abundant.

I'd say they sale, but timing is everything, as I got sniped on HG raw Demon 1 for quite awhile on the Bay. When they are abundant.....don't put them up for auction, but when a window is there that not many are up for sale....they do OK, not guide or guide plus by no means, but they will move especially in HG, just my experience with them as of late.

sure they sell, when you price them right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Gods-1-DC-Kirby-Classic-9-2-NM_W0QQitemZ200389376456QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea82339c8

Although I'm shocked a raw alleged 9.2 went for that much, even if it's barely more than half guide.

Though nobody is paying OPG's $56 for an alleged VF raw copy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GODS-1-Kirby-Art-VF-Orion-Darkseid-DC-Superman_W0QQitemZ260483276463QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca6035eaf

My dim recollection is that a couple of years ago I sold a slabbed 8.5 Forever People #1 for about guide, give or take 10-15%. This was after a lot of effort.

In NM+ or better you should be able to move them, but you'd be hard pressed in lesser condition unless they're discounted or sold in lots. Those books were hoarded like mad by everyone and their brother.

interesting to know that even in 1971 hoarding was around. I guess hoarding stated in the mid-1960`s?

In NM+ or better you should be able to move them, but you'd be hard pressed in lesser condition unless they're discounted or sold in lots. Those books were hoarded like mad by everyone and their brother.

interesting to know that even in 1971 hoarding was around. I guess hoarding stated in the mid-1960`s?

I've read Stan Lee say that hoarding began around '65 or '66. He would have people tell him that they bought multiple copies of comics. Probably why SA Marvels from that point forward are so common, especially in HG

I've read Stan Lee say that hoarding began around '65 or '66. He would have people tell him that they bought multiple copies of comics. Probably why SA Marvels from that point forward are so common, especially in HG

To the extent they were hoarded, I assume it was because these were Kirby books and he was already a living legend. As can be seen from the relative uncommonness (in HG in particular) of GL 76 and a lot of other DCs from like 1970 - 1975, clearly not every DC was getting hoarded. You'd think the hoarders would have been all over Neal Adams stuff (given that a guy like Steranko was a big deal shortly after his arrival on the scene), but maybe it took a while to catch on that this guy was a big deal?

To the extent they were hoarded, I assume it was because these were Kirby books and he was already a living legend. As can be seen from the relative uncommonness (in HG in particular) of GL 76 and a lot of other DCs from like 1970 - 1975, clearly not every DC was getting hoarded. You'd think the hoarders would have been all over Neal Adams stuff (given that a guy like Steranko was a big deal shortly after his arrival on the scene), but maybe it took a while to catch on that this guy was a big deal?

Most were into Marvels back then,it was a revoulution that Stan Lee created.Marvel Zombies,Stan had almost everyone believing in Not Brand Echh. So DC comics at the time were considered just a little above Archie but below his standard Marvel.

the irony is a good number of the valuable comics 1966 and up are not Marvel, the reason was they were not hoarded. All-Star Western #10 first Jonah Hex and the Neal Adams Batman comes to mind.

Adams did do some work over at marvel around this time (Avengers comes to mind), so the Zombies should have had him on their radaar. Some DCs, anticipated stuff like Shadow 1 and Shazam 1, were hoarded, some not so much.