• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonder Woman....silver or bronze

130 posts in this topic

I am glad this thread was revived. I still have a lot of WW covers to show!

I wonder how Mer-Man got to the top of that cliff anyway?

WW_118.jpg

Another Wonder Girl cover. This time battling a dino!

WW_119.jpg

Another dynamic cover with a giant volcano monster!

WW_120.jpg

I know, now I'm showing off, sorry.......

scan0048.jpg

scan0105-1.jpg

Love your #100!

But does your issue #89 not feature H.G. Peter interior art? That's where I draw the line between Golden Age and Silver Age on Wonder Woman - at the point where Ross Andru and Mike Esposito took over the interior artwork from H.G. Peter which I believe was issue #98.

:preach:

Wow! You almost never see those!

That's because those are all Golden Age books other than #100 which is still from way back in 1958.

Those are some great covers Bob! Irv Novick did some outstanding work on those covers. The Peter interiors... (ugh)!

I agree on both counts.

But when the Ross Andru/Mike Esposito team took over the interior artwork on Wonder Woman as well as the covers with issue #98, Wonder Woman began to look sexier and sexier. For one thing, Ross Andru drew her Amazon locks with fewer curls and covering her tiara. She started to look positively orgasmic in many panels.

The upper management at DC was less than impressed though and told Ross Andru to cut it out. The boxier Wonder Woman whose hair was bound tightly by her tiara made her reappearance in issue #105. Very sad.

Wonder Woman didn't start looking sexy again until she lost her powers in the late sixties but Ross Andru had tried.

:(

Technically these are GA but they are such beautiful comics that it's a treat to see them in whatever forum you post them! :applause:

GCD lists the cover artist as Novick, which I would have not guessed. I like it better than much of what I recall him doing at that time.

scan0166.jpg

Yet another Wonder Girl/giant monster cover. She seems to be nudging here older counterpart off the covers!

WW_121.jpg

Attack of the 50 Foot Wonder Woman!

WW_122.jpg

For a fish, Mer-Boy sure gets around alright on land.

WW_123.jpg

GCD lists the cover artist as Novick, which I would have not guessed. I like it better than much of what I recall him doing at that time.

I think Irv Novick's art reached a peak with his work on the Flash and Batman in the seventies. That was really nice.

:cool:

I like the earthy Mediterranean look that Ross gave Diana early in the run.

This is my favorite cover from that era:

WW_104.jpg

She sure looks wonderful there, as does the femme fatale.

:luhv:

I think Irv Novick's art reached a peak with his work on the Flash and Batman in the seventies. That was really nice.

I'm particularly fond of his early GA work on the Shield for MLJ. I'm also a fan of his late 50s work on B&B Silent Knight.

BraveBold18.jpg

I like the earthy Mediterranean look that Ross gave Diana early in the run.

This is my favorite cover from that era:

WW_104.jpg

Believe it or not, this was a rare HG bargin pickup from the early days of eBay!

That's a great example of classic Andru/Esposito Wonder Woman! :applause:

A beginning of an ugly trend...the dreaded Wonder Woman Family "Impossible Tales" (although I never get tired of looking at Diana's hot mom).

WW_124.jpg

Wonderful pick cover (I wish you could see the gloss on this one)!

WW_125.jpg

If Wonder Girl could appear on covers, why not Wonder Tot?

WW_126.jpg

WW_125.jpg

That's a fabulous cover! I'm still looking for one as nice as yours.

WW_126.jpg

I wonder what the editors of DC were thinking when they created Wonder Tot? To what segment of the comic book buying market were they trying to appeal?

???

By 1961 I don't think many girls were buying comics, and those that did were most likely reaching for the Archie titles. I think Wonder Woman comics were being bought by a subcomponent of those buying the DC superhero titles. And I don't think Wonder Tot appealed to that target market.

(shrug)

If I recall (and I believe this was mentioned in an interview with Robert Kanigher), WW was having trouble finding an audience. They had monster covers to try and attract more boys...when that didn't work, they introduced Wonder Girl and that caused a temporary spike in sales. So much so that they gave Wonder Girl a regular back up feature.

At one point, Wonder Girl almost takes over the entire book:

WW_152.jpg

What came after that, alas was far far worse...

WW_125.jpg

That's a fabulous cover! I'm still looking for one as nice as yours.

WW_126.jpg

I wonder what the editors of DC were thinking when they created Wonder Tot? To what segment of the comic book buying market were they trying to appeal?

???

By 1961 I don't think many girls were buying comics, and those that did were most likely reaching for the Archie titles. I think Wonder Woman comics were being bought by a subcomponent of those buying the DC superhero titles. And I don't think Wonder Tot appealed to that target market.

(shrug)

When I first started reading comics and was a really really young tot myself, the impossible stories in Wonder Woman comics appealed to me because it included kids . . . As I got older, I advanced to the other DC superhero titles and eventually to Marvel as well. I think Marvel played to slightly older demographic from the get-go. As it turned out, I think they were right, and older guys and gals were reading the "socially conscious" comics. Hence the greater abundance of HG Marvels (collected by older kids) and the lack of DC's collected by same to a lesser degree.

Nonetheless, there are a lot of fabulous covers in the run - and Queen Hippolyta and Wonder Girl are hot!

Here are scans of three more of my Wonder Woman comics:

22-05-201111549PM.jpg

22-05-201111553PM.jpg

22-05-201111556PM.jpg