• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-man # 5 graded 9.8 onsite at con!!!

34 posts in this topic

He also had some serious balls and took a risk very few here would take...he sold his house, so he could use the equity of it and spend it ALL on Mile Highs. He and his wife then moved into his inlaws for a couple years until they built up a new downpayment.

Jim

(thumbs u

Where I am from we calls those stones of solid f-ing steel! Simply calling them balls would be a disservice.

Wow, what a gamble. I guess he did the right thing. :)

Sweet book owned by John Verzyl, a 9.4 went for almost $20K this month per GPA. Wonder how much this will fetch, being the highest graded.

Is there any info out there on Mr. Verzyl. All I know is that he owns the AA 16 Church and like all of the Church Timelys I believe. And he has this 9.8 spidey?

Who exactly is this man? How did he come to own what appears to be millions of dollars worth of comics?

I'm fascinated by his collection and would love to hear how he came into it.

The short answer is that he's old, has been collecting for a long time, and was willing to spend on comics when they were relatively cheap.

That's pretty much the answer for every major GA and SA collector in the hobby, although the SA mega-collectors aren't quite as old.

He runs Comic Heaven auctions. You can see his ad in every OSPG

Sweet book owned by John Verzyl, a 9.4 went for almost $20K this month per GPA. Wonder how much this will fetch, being the highest graded.

Is there any info out there on Mr. Verzyl. All I know is that he owns the AA 16 Church and like all of the Church Timelys I believe. And he has this 9.8 spidey?

Who exactly is this man? How did he come to own what appears to be millions of dollars worth of comics?

I'm fascinated by his collection and would love to hear how he came into it.

The short answer is that he's old, has been collecting for a long time, and was willing to spend on comics when they were relatively cheap.

That's pretty much the answer for every major GA and SA collector in the hobby, although the SA mega-collectors aren't quite as old.

He runs Comic Heaven auctions. You can see his ad in every OSPG

(thumbs u

Have visited his site and seen his "highlights" such as the AA 16. But never knew anything more about him other than what was mentioned around here, mostly about him owning all the Timely Church books.

Of course he person_without_enough_empathyed pretty publically when it originally came back a 9.6...it's comforting to know that the squeaky wheel still get's oiled though.

Jim

squeaky wheel or "run over and squashed" wheel :baiting:

Here is the ASM, sorry the pics were not good to reflection from the lights above were horrible.

Also, my faves, were Crime Does Not Pay 23 in 9.6 ($10,000) and Four Color 1 in 9.6 ($65,000)

he had amazing books and was a very nice guy.

Joe

87711.jpg.f79709c4582954d96c8d5b12b48b9f0a.jpg

87712.jpg.de7c7954f2cb4212a367cd14077f0ca9.jpg

He really did have an awesome collection of books for sale.

true true true

I did see a boardie mount and hump his display case, but I wont say who. :gossip:

Joe

Sounds like Roy.... lol

It was the Chicago copy of MMC #2 that made me do it.

:devil:

When you have the best book in existence the quibbles over the 9.6 or 9.8 seem insignificant except for maybe 50000 extra bucks it will get by being a 9.8. I don't care who you are. If you think you have a 9.8 by all means fight and resubmit.