• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you were going to sell your collection....

21 posts in this topic

... and you wanted to sell it in one lump movement (because you didn't have the time or energy to break it apart, sell it, and then pack it) how would you do it?

Assume for a moment that it is like many collections I imagine... a fair percentage of high grade silver/bronze (maybe 40-50%) and the rest runs of 80s and modern books, along with some CGC books...

Would you sell on ebay? or another auction site?

Would you sell to a dealer? If so which one? How would you go about deciding which dealer to sell to? Regionally?

Slow day at work, and I'm just thought I'd throw out this sort of random question.

... and you wanted to sell it in one lump movement (because you didn't have the time or energy to break it apart, sell it, and then pack it) how would you do it?

Assume for a moment that it is like many collections I imagine... a fair percentage of high grade silver/bronze (maybe 40-50%) and the rest runs of 80s and modern books, along with some CGC books...

Would you sell to a dealer? If so which one? How would you go about deciding which dealer to sell to? Regionally?

Slow day at work, and I'm just thought I'd throw out this sort of random question.

Well, I think it would first depend on the size of the collection. I am pretty sure that 40 long boxes of books would require a substantial amount of postage. 27_laughing.gif

Well, I think it would first depend on the size of the collection. I am pretty sure that 40 long boxes of books would require a substantial amount of postage. 27_laughing.gif

Call Chuck, he'll buy em'and pick em' up, he'll buy anything! thumbsup2.gif

Call Chuck, he'll buy em'and pick em' up, he'll buy anything! thumbsup2.gif

True, tho he does prefer to meet in dark alleys, deserted wheatfields and the like. Oh, and he'll want to rename your collection before paying you anything...

let's say you had 15 long boxes. not too big, not too small... and you live on the east coast so chuckles doesn't want to touch em.

Personally, I would probably take out any keys or high dollar books, and take the rest to a comic store.

If you are willing to spend the time, sell the books in "lots" on Ebay. For example, Wolverine 1-100.

If you are just trying to get rid of them and want to do it fast, then the store approach might be for you.

You could always use the marketplace on this site, as there are a couple of people who deal in high volume.

What is the time frame you are looking at? Or is this just a general question? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd rent a truck,drive to Reston,drop them off at Donuts main warehouse and sit back and collect weekly checks for the next few months.Between the checks and the extra income I'd derive from being able to rent out the extra rooms in my house it would be a great move.

I'd first check with the local comic dealers, and then select a few national dealers and price around. Actually, the more books you sell, probably the less you'll receive per book unless its high on the demand list.Realistically, I would sell the less pricey books (80s etc) at once and then piecemeal the rest with an auction service (Heritage,CL, or eBay).

My .02...

If I was going to get rid of it as one lot, I would sell it to a dealer that I had known for a long time, who had had fair and honest dealings with me and who had cut me a break on more than one occasion. That way I would know that, even though I was getting far less than I could have gotten by piecing it out, someone who deserved it was making the profit I had lost.

I hope all of you have a dealer that you can say the above about. There aren't too many.

I'd rent a truck,drive to Reston,drop them off at Donuts main warehouse and sit back and collect weekly checks for the next few months.

I like this choice. I could certainly find a dealer or three nearer to me (much nearer), but FlyingD has the online chops and rep to get the most out of a collection like mine, I'm guessing. And he probably wouldn't ask for a 30% - 40%commission...(?)

The other option would be to just list 'em all on eBay myself, starting with mid-grade junk and working up to the good stuff. This would be painstaking and probably somewhat frustrating. But at least I could enjoy being the shipping profiteer for a change instead of the "profiteeree" 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'd rent a truck,drive to Reston,drop them off at Donuts main warehouse and sit back and collect weekly checks for the next few months.

I like this choice. I could certainly find a dealer or three nearer to me (much nearer), but FlyingD has the online chops and rep to get the most out of a collection like mine, I'm guessing. And he probably wouldn't ask for a 30% - 40%commission...(?)

The other option would be to just list 'em all on eBay myself, starting with mid-grade junk and working up to the good stuff. This would be painstaking and probably somewhat frustrating. But at least I could enjoy being the shipping profiteer for a change instead of the "profiteeree" 893applaud-thumb.gif

hi.gif

25% plus eBay fees...

I would take my slabbed books and consign them to someone like Bruce who I've worked with before and trust immensely to sincerely work hard and "shop" my books around.

I would probably take the raw stuff that I don't feel is worth sending in for grading, and consign them to someone like FD.

All this is assuming that I'm pressed for time for some reason, and want to be done with the collection quickly. But I don't spend my life savings on comics, so it isn't likely that I would ever be in a situation where I had to sell my entire collection very quickly. Most likely, I would do most of the work myself, but still work with someone like Bruce who can help me get good prices on my books.

I'd post a "For Sale" list in the babe test. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think that's called being a pimp.