• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pep Comics #22 at Metropolis...Overgraded?

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys, they have a Pep #22 in VG/FN for 9 large. Don't you guys think this book is a tad overgraded? Note the fading, the spine roll, and the wear on the right edge. Looks more like a VG or VG+ at best.

Thoughts?

pep22_metbig.jpg

That spine-roll is pretty severe. Metro is usually no more than a half-grade off, and I'd have to agree (from the front cover scan) that this is no better than a VG+

Any rear cover scan?

9K is insane.gif, but then again, they are tough in any shape.

If you look at the very top right, where the cover is frayed, it seems the interior pages are pretty much parallel with the edge of the cover, eliminating spine roll and indicating an off-center cover. Thoughts?

I'd also suggest the tapering of the white on the spine from broad at the top to thin at the bottom also is more suggestive of a poorly centered cover than spine roll (although spine roll CAN display such, it seems a bit severe for that.) But since it apears the interior pages line up at the top right, and the top right has the greatest amount of white showing at the spine, my vote from the scan is just off-center.

Naturally a scan of the back would reveal all in a moment!

Metropolis should provide this for a book of this $$$

::edited for last paragraph::

i'm with you man. as soon as i read the first complaint about the spine roll, i thought that i couldn't detect it from the scan and it looked more like a miscut cover (IMO).

i also think this is better than most 4.0's that i've seen graded and would think that being a GA, it might pull as high as a 5.0.

and after reading through all the recent archie threads, i'd be all charged up to buy this (assuming i collected archies and had that kind of dough).

which brings up another point; why does this book warrant 3x's guide in midgrade unslabbed anyway?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I disagree; it's got a spine roll at the top. Note how the pages are off-center at the top right in the rear. Don't know how many golden age books you've owned with spine rolls, but I've had quite a few. It's got a roll.

Also, the staples are very far off center, and would certainly cause a crease if you read it very often.

It's 3x guide because:

1. First appearance of an American icon, Archie Andrews.

2. People who own them don't sell them, period. There's more Archie collectors than you might think, and this is the holy grail.

3. It's not issue #1 or anything, so not as many were saved as you might think. It's scarce.

4. It's unrestored, which is very uncommon for this book.

5. It's scarce.

6. It's a friggin' Pep 22 man!

7. Metropolis is waiting for a rich person who just wants to own a copy with little concern for cost. Of course, if I were well off, I'd call Geppi and get his Mile High copy.

If you look at the very top right, where the cover is frayed, it seems the interior pages are pretty much parallel with the edge of the cover, eliminating spine roll and indicating an off-center cover. Thoughts?

Sorry I missed this before. You're right...about the first few pages of the book. The "roll" occurs nearer the middle to end of the book. Don't look through the missing paper on the edge, but look just above the top right part of the book. It's off by probably 1/2 inch or more.

Upper staple roll city, baby! That book needs pressed and cleaned to look nice, but it's still faded. Here's the one I used to own...note the difference in color!

pep22.jpg

What is it with the staples on this book? Your copy also has them well into the body of the cover. Was this entire print run not stapled on the spine?

Clearly that first book has a spine roll. The last 2/3rds of the pages appear to be pulled back behind the front cover, on the upper right edge. Now that you've pointed it out it's obvious.

What is it with the staples on this book? Your copy also has them well into the body of the cover. Was this entire print run not stapled on the spine?

Clearly that first book has a spine roll. The last 2/3rds of the pages appear to be pulled back behind the front cover, on the upper right edge. Now that you've pointed it out it's obvious.

I'm not sure. I've seen a couple other copies that were stapled correctly on the spine, so I don't think so. Did you note the differences in fading between these 2? I hate faded Red/Yellow colors on golden age books!

It might be faded some but it really looks more like the brightness of their scan is punched up a bit. All the colors look evenly brighter in their scan compared to your copy. Have to see it in person to really tell.

Did you note the differences in fading between these 2? I hate faded Red/Yellow colors on golden age books!

Yeah, I did see that, but I never know whether what appears to be fading is in actuality a scanner setting issue. I can make faded books look sharper and sharp books look faded if I play with the brightness and contrast. Not that I'm saying a reputable firm like Metropolis would do that, it's just that I generally only trust scans for surface structural defects, not color sharpness.

Don't look through the missing paper on the edge, but look just above the top right part of the book. It's off by probably 1/2 inch or more.

Ahhh - actually I saw that as just scanning [!@#%^&^] because of the black background intersecting the entire top of the book and that "stuff" appearing above the background, as if dissassociated from the book. I wish a Metropolis customer would just ask for a scan of the back. If they won't, I will.