• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Outbid them...and if you can't outbid them...gut them like a pig.

41 posts in this topic

"That having been said, I was very smart to have scored my #1 goal early, as from that point onwards, I was forced to repeatedly back down when bidding on far more mundane pots vastly exceeded my remaining budget. My archnemesis in the pottery world was there, and he brought a huge war chest with which to beat me up. After losing half a dozen items in a row to him, I decided to go on the offensive by engaging in a very risky "roll and dump" campaign. What that means is that I would jump in bidding on items that I really didn't want, but that I thought that he did, with no intention of actually buying them. I would bid furiously for about 2 minutes, and then when the price reached ridiculous levels, I would dump the piece off to him at the inflated price. By the time I was finished, I cost him at least an extra $10,000 on about 60 pieces, and only got stuck with one pot."

- Chuck Rozanski (10/19/09 newsletter)

Feel the love. :whee:

"That having been said, I was very smart to have scored my #1 goal early, as from that point onwards, I was forced to repeatedly back down when bidding on far more mundane pots vastly exceeded my remaining budget. My archnemesis in the pottery world was there, and he brought a huge war chest with which to beat me up. After losing half a dozen items in a row to him, I decided to go on the offensive by engaging in a very risky "roll and dump" campaign. What that means is that I would jump in bidding on items that I really didn't want, but that I thought that he did, with no intention of actually buying them. I would bid furiously for about 2 minutes, and then when the price reached ridiculous levels, I would dump the piece off to him at the inflated price. By the time I was finished, I cost him at least an extra $10,000 on about 60 pieces, and only got stuck with one pot."

- Chuck Rozanski (10/19/09 newsletter)

Feel the love. :whee:

riiiggghhhtttt pottery world....

This is such a common occurrence in live auctions.

I have seen it in art auctions pretty consistently over the last 10 years.

If a guy thinks another bidder is gunning for him, and has run up the prices on pieces he wants he does the exact same thing back to him on a piece or pieces he knows his bidding enemy really wants.

It's incredibly dangerous as you might be left holding the high bid and have to pay for a piece you may not want, but it happens all the time.

anyone remember jgreen's bids on SNE auctions from like 2005?

Punishment bidding at its finest...never has one man been bid up and overpaid on sooooo many Bronze books as this guy. It was so clear that he had typed in huge bids on dozens and dozens of auctions that it became irresistable for somebody to ream him I suppose. :insane:

and only got stuck with one pot."

- Chuck Rozanski (10/19/09 newsletter)[/i]

Which he then listed on his site at quadruple guide and offered 75% off via his latest codeword, IMAPOTHEAD.