• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Outbid them...and if you can't outbid them...gut them like a pig.

41 posts in this topic

anyone remember jgreen's bids on SNE auctions from like 2005?

Punishment bidding at its finest...never has one man been bid up and overpaid on sooooo many Bronze books as this guy. It was so clear that he had typed in huge bids on dozens and dozens of auctions that it became irresistable for somebody to ream him I suppose. :insane:

Any time I'm outbid on an item I usually go back and fire one more bid and if the competing bidder obviously bid higher I start bidding at just under logical increments. Example if I get outbid on something and my bid was $20. I go back and bid $22, then $24.98 then $27.42, then $29.87 etc.

Is that Punishment Bidding?

Is that Punishment Bidding?

I can't tell because you didn't say why you do this, and punishment bidding is all about intent. You don't want to win, you just want to cost the high bidder some money. :devil:

It's funny how he adds "tery" to it and completely throws everyone off of the true message.

And people think it's inconceivable that Superman can hide his identity with a simple pair of glasses. hm

Too bad he didn't say he bid but didn't intend to pay for the ones he won, then it would have been a crime.

Where did he say that? I think he would have paid if he had won. That's why he called his tactics "very risky", because he would've had to pay the inflated price if he had won.

This is such a common occurrence in live auctions.

I have seen it in art auctions pretty consistently over the last 10 years.

If a guy thinks another bidder is gunning for him, and has run up the prices on pieces he wants he does the exact same thing back to him on a piece or pieces he knows his bidding enemy really wants.

It's incredibly dangerous as you might be left holding the high bid and have to pay for a piece you may not want, but it happens all the time.

Perfectly valid tactic, in my opinion, but as you and Chuck both say, very risky.

Too bad he didn't say he bid but didn't intend to pay for the ones he won, then it would have been a crime.

Where did he say that? I think he would have paid if he had won. That's why he called his tactics "very risky", because he would've had to pay the inflated price if he had won.

If a guy thinks another bidder is gunning for him, and has run up the prices on pieces he wants he does the exact same thing back to him on a piece or pieces he knows his bidding enemy really wants.

It's incredibly dangerous as you might be left holding the high bid and have to pay for a piece you may not want, but it happens all the time.

Perfectly valid tactic, in my opinion, but as you and Chuck both say, very risky.

Sure its valid, but that dont make it right. In fact it makes him just an arrogant SOB to brag about it.

He is showing a real lack of character here in my opinion.

Actually it is a fairly smart strategy IF you only have one main rival for what you collect AND that rival does not have unlimited funds.

If you make them overpay on enough pieces for the pieces they really want, they will have less spending budget left to bid on the pieces you really want.

Eventually this strategy could mean you end up picking the pieces you really wanted the most for less cost.

Sure its valid, but that dont make it right. In fact it makes him just an arrogant SOB to brag about it.

I agree. If you know you can't man up and win the thing then leave it alone. All you're doing is being petty and childish...

Jim

I agree. If you know you can't man up and win the thing then leave it alone. All you're doing is being petty and childish...

Jim

I respectfully disagree. See, there`s this concept called scarcity and finite resources. If it`s someone who is potentially going to be a competitor for stuff that you want, there is nothing wrong with trying to get him to burn up all of his funds on stuff you care nothing about so that he can`t compete with you, or at least not as hard as he might otherwise do. If he`s not smart enough to figure out what`s happening, then he deserves whatever happens to him.

And let`s just be clear that whoever is playing this game needs to be ready to step up and pay if they actually win any of the stuff that they`re intentionally bidding up. It IS a high risk strategy and people can get spectacularly burned trying it.

"...when the price reached ridiculous levels, I would dump the piece off to him at the inflated price."

Someone should tell Chuck it isn't a good idea to reveal his Mile High Comics business model. meh

I've run into this tactic at live auctions.

One auction was on a rather snowy day and not many people showed up. Mostly guys in coveralls and bib overalls who were bidding on guns and coins. There was a lot of jewelry at this sale. I was buying it by the box/flat. I bought 27 flats of jewelry anywhere from $1-6 a flat. That is really cheap. There were no other people bidding much at all. So they would start out the flat high and drop the price till someone bid. When it got down to $1 I'd bid. 27 flats is a LOT of jewelry after I culled out the junk I had two large rolling suitcases full of good costume jewelry from the 1920's-70's. There were signed pieces and ones that were MIB. At the very end of the auction when people were moving out purchased furniture, they found jewelry boxes in one of the armoires. The auctioneer gave them to me since the bidding was over. One was almost completely costume jewelry from the 1920-30s. It was an awesome haul.

The next auction, the auctioneer was asking how much items I got sold for. I usually keep it pretty mum. John is sort of a friend so I confided that I did OK but I didn't want to go on about it since there was more jewelry to bid on that day. A woman walked up and said "What jewelry are you talking about?" John goes on to tell her I bought 27 flats full at the last auction. She asks me what I will do with it. I told her I wasn't sure. I said I may sell some/keep some/trade some/part some out for crafting. I said I wasn't really a jewelry seller but since the deals were so good I couldn't pass them up. She got furious to the point of yelling at me. She told me it was ridiculous I would bid on items and basically steal them with no idea of what I was bidding on. She said she was a dealer who made her LIVING off Ebay and I had the nerve to just bid for the heck of it. The auctioneer was nearly laughing at her behind her back because she was trembling mad.

The thing is if she had braved the snow to go to the same auction she would've been free to bid there. But she didn't. I make good money on Ebay too but I don't go on about the prices with an auctioneer or other bidders there. Just like noone would go on about how much at Brave and Bold #28 is worth when one is up for auction around an auction house full of non comic book people. They bid $40 on an old beat up Lassie comic book and you get the nifty B&B #28 for $10.

Anyway, I looked over all the items at the auction that day. There were a dozen or so flats fo jewelry. None of them stood out as anything special. There were maybe a few signed items, but nothing good.

The first lot came up I bid my $1. She immediately went up, up and up on her bid. Suddenly this flat that I would grudgingly give $1 for was at nearly $30 and I let her have it. She stalked over to me to curse me out telling me I was NOT going to win anything that day. She said I should stop bidding because she would not let me "steal" any lots from her..this was HER business and I was not going to win.

My husband and John the auctioneer looked at us and were just shaking their heads at her. She was acting like a crazy woman. So every lot I bid..and bid..and bid until her face was red. I just bid them up. She paid up to $40 for some of the lots. She kept her word and won every single one.

The craziest part was it was 90% modern junk and Avon.

I would've honored my bid if I won anything. Seriously though, her acting crazy really spurred on my bidding. Was I being petty? Maybe..but I did it anyway.

I've run into this tactic at live auctions.

One auction was on a rather snowy day and not many people showed up. Mostly guys in coveralls and bib overalls who were bidding on guns and coins. There was a lot of jewelry at this sale. I was buying it by the box/flat. I bought 27 flats of jewelry anywhere from $1-6 a flat. That is really cheap. There were no other people bidding much at all. So they would start out the flat high and drop the price till someone bid. When it got down to $1 I'd bid. 27 flats is a LOT of jewelry after I culled out the junk I had two large rolling suitcases full of good costume jewelry from the 1920's-70's. There were signed pieces and ones that were MIB. At the very end of the auction when people were moving out purchased furniture, they found jewelry boxes in one of the armoires. The auctioneer gave them to me since the bidding was over. One was almost completely costume jewelry from the 1920-30s. It was an awesome haul.

The next auction, the auctioneer was asking how much items I got sold for. I usually keep it pretty mum. John is sort of a friend so I confided that I did OK but I didn't want to go on about it since there was more jewelry to bid on that day. A woman walked up and said "What jewelry are you talking about?" John goes on to tell her I bought 27 flats full at the last auction. She asks me what I will do with it. I told her I wasn't sure. I said I may sell some/keep some/trade some/part some out for crafting. I said I wasn't really a jewelry seller but since the deals were so good I couldn't pass them up. She got furious to the point of yelling at me. She told me it was ridiculous I would bid on items and basically steal them with no idea of what I was bidding on. She said she was a dealer who made her LIVING off Ebay and I had the nerve to just bid for the heck of it. The auctioneer was nearly laughing at her behind her back because she was trembling mad.

The thing is if she had braved the snow to go to the same auction she would've been free to bid there. But she didn't. I make good money on Ebay too but I don't go on about the prices with an auctioneer or other bidders there. Just like noone would go on about how much at Brave and Bold #28 is worth when one is up for auction around an auction house full of non comic book people. They bid $40 on an old beat up Lassie comic book and you get the nifty B&B #28 for $10.

Anyway, I looked over all the items at the auction that day. There were a dozen or so flats fo jewelry. None of them stood out as anything special. There were maybe a few signed items, but nothing good.

The first lot came up I bid my $1. She immediately went up, up and up on her bid. Suddenly this flat that I would grudgingly give $1 for was at nearly $30 and I let her have it. She stalked over to me to curse me out telling me I was NOT going to win anything that day. She said I should stop bidding because she would not let me "steal" any lots from her..this was HER business and I was not going to win.

My husband and John the auctioneer looked at us and were just shaking their heads at her. She was acting like a crazy woman. So every lot I bid..and bid..and bid until her face was red. I just bid them up. She paid up to $40 for some of the lots. She kept her word and won every single one.

The craziest part was it was 90% modern junk and Avon.

I would've honored my bid if I won anything. Seriously though, her acting crazy really spurred on my bidding. Was I being petty? Maybe..but I did it anyway.

That's a great story. People are crazy, why on earth would she get mad over something like that? She wasn't there so she missed out. I can understand her being disappointed but to rave on like that is ridiculous. I do things like that all of the time, some deals are to good to pass up :grin:

Yeah she really was acting kukoo for cocoa puffs..My husband was holding me back from making her bid more than she did. I was just so funny because I made more off a pair of rhinestone shoe clips from the 1930s I got in one of the free jewelry boxes than she paid for all the auctions she won that day combined.

A lot of our friends at live auctions know I will take stuff nobody else wants or stuff they will throw away. So after the auction when people are combing through lots they will "dump" their extras on my tables. One of my neighbors threw a bunch of old jewelry and some old pairs of cat eye glasses on my table. I sold the glasses for $10-60 a pair on Ebay and one of the sets of jewelry she put on my table brought $70. I felt sort of bad and offered to share the money with her. She said "Hell no I didn't want that carp you saved me from having to haul it to the dumpster." She had bid on the entire lot for ONE item a paper postcard set.

We are usually very easy to get along with at the auction houses. But that jewelry gal really pushed my buttons. I made her pay dearly for all that scrap junk.