• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terrorist Suspect a Comic Book Fan....

83 posts in this topic

religion, is just a buiness in the end, look at all the money it raises and other such things

"What profit has not that fable of Christ brought us!" Pope Leo X

The way I see it, people are free to believe whatever they want.

They are free to believe i'm going to some hell eventually. And i'm free to believe they're :screwy: .

religion, is just a buiness in the end, look at all the money it raises and other such things

"What profit has not that fable of Christ brought us!" Pope Leo X

The way I see it, people are free to believe whatever they want.

They are free to believe i'm going to some hell eventually. And i'm free to believe they're :screwy: .

Pope Leo X, yeah I have heard of him, Now please don’t quote me on this but, I heard that Pope Leo X is a seldom used alias name of a successful science fiction writer. He suppossedly grew up in a Religious cult, in the Southern part of Colorado. His father was the main figure head of the then “United Benevolent Church of the Unified Trinity” ,a sect considered extremist by many because of it’s unsubstanciated belief that Jesus, Satan and the Demon Malakia Menku are all united in spirit… also the fact that they did many live animal offerings, made them susceptible to unrelentless scrutiny from those who had minor dealings with cult members. As Pope Leo X became a teenager, people within the organization began to fear him, as a result of his ramblings of how he would one day write novels about evil happenings and gruesome deaths, the more time passed, the more UBCotUT members became increasingly afraid of him, or what he might have the potential of doing. By the age of 19, eight different unfinished books were found by one of the pastors, the books were so explicit and macabre, that fellow ‘brothers’ threatened to start a separate community if he did not leave…they were suppossedly specifically afraid of an unfinished manuscript by the name of “IT, the Killer clown within us all”… that day , his father, drove him to the edge of town, gave him 600$ and, told him: “Stephen, we all have a calling in life, find yours and be the King of your destiny..” he hugged him and walked away with a lump in his throat. Some say that Stephen went to school to later become a writer, taking the name (as a tribute to what his father had told himthat day), Steven King. That’s what I heard.. lol

I dont go around saying eff non-religion/agnostic/atheist/etc.

That's because non-religion/agnostic/atheists as a group are generally not cutting peoples heads off, mass plotting to kill innocent people, preventing gays from marrying, infringing on womans rights, bombing abortion clinics, creating holy wars, dividing families, martyr killing, telling you are going to hell because you are gay or "living in sin," committing honor killings, committing rape as "punishment," - the list goes on.

The basic tenet of nearly all religions is to love your fellow man - that is unless he is of a different religion/faith then the gloves come off.

Hmmm...

Secular/non-religion/agnostic/atheists people like Hitler and Stalin you mean?

:whistle:

Hmmmm., need to brush up on your history quite a bit?

As in Hitler the Catholic? Here is a few of his beliefs -

"Christ was the greatest early fighter in the battle against the world enemy, the Jews ... The work that Christ started but could not finish, I -- Adolf Hitler -- will

There were many books written about Hitler's religion and ties to the Roman Catholic church. Let's see, where is the head of the Roman Catholic Church located? Oh yeah, in Italy ( Vatican) . And who was the ally of Germany during WW2, oh yeah - Italy.

As in Stalin who studied at a seminary, re-opened the churches during and after WW2 and elected a Moscow Patriarchate? Who outlawed religion but then used it to control the masses. Why yes, I do mean people like him too.

So if you replace secular/non-religion/agnostic/atheists with Roman Catholic and Russian orthodox then you have had a point.

At least you would have had a little point by bringing up the Khmer Rouge, but that is classified by some as a religion by itself.

That's what we've been missing all day. Thanks for throwing Hitler in there for good measure. Your internet arguing abilities need never be questioned again.

That's because non-religion/agnostic/atheists as a group are generally not cutting peoples heads off, mass plotting to kill innocent people, preventing gays from marrying, infringing on womans rights, bombing abortion clinics, creating holy wars, dividing families, martyr killing, telling you are going to hell because you are gay or "living in sin," committing honor killings, committing rape as "punishment," - the list goes on.

The basic tenet of nearly all religions is to love your fellow man - that is unless he is of a different religion/faith then the gloves come off.

As for this comment, let me clarify that I am not religious in any way, shape, or form. I've questioned the existence of God since the first time I was ever told about him. I'm the last person in the world that would defend religion.

If you think that all that's wrong with the world revolves around religion, you're being purposefully obtuse. Evil is not something that was invented one day to add spice to the Bible. There's far more non-religious evil out there than you're giving credit. I'd argue that the vast majority of problems in society involve the non-religious.

The only thing that religion has, that causes narrow minded people such as yourself, to point the finger at them is 1) It consists of organized groups, and 2) They are hypocritical in that they damn people for things they do for the "greater good."

Next time you feel the need to lash out at religion, you might want to open your eyes and look at everything else as a whole, because there's plenty of blame to pass around for everyone. You just want to focus on religion because you don't believe in it and you're driven by an agenda to alienate it.

Obviously you have never met these nihilists...

big_lebowski_nihilists.jpg

They believe in nothing and are supa dupa dangerous...to man and marmot alike. (tsk)

As for this comment, let me clarify that I am not religious in any way, shape, or form. I've questioned the existence of God since the first time I was ever told about him. I'm the last person in the world that would defend religion.

If you think that all that's wrong with the world revolves around religion, you're being purposefully obtuse. Evil is not something that was invented one day to add spice to the Bible. There's far more non-religious evil out there than you're giving credit. I'd argue that the vast majority of problems in society involve the non-religious.

The only thing that religion has, that causes narrow minded people such as yourself, to point the finger at them is 1) It consists of organized groups, and 2) They are hypocritical in that they damn people for things they do for the "greater good."

Next time you feel the need to lash out at religion, you might want to open your eyes and look at everything else as a whole, because there's plenty of blame to pass around for everyone. You just want to focus on religion because you don't believe in it and you're driven by an agenda to alienate it.

Narrow minded, obtuse people such as yourself generally post like above so I will keep it simple so you can follow. First, I never wrote that religion was evil in the above post ( I agreed with Supa so maybe you want to reply to him) - that is just something you decided to put in from someone else's post to suit your own myopic interpretation. Next time you feel to lash out at someone's post you might want to get your facts straight otherwise it just makes you look foolish.

Everything I wrote above absolutely is committed in the name of religion - whether it is masking for something else or to purport another agenda. If you think otherwise, that is just ignorance. Most of the major religions were created to control the masses and maintain a power base - whether it was the Caesars, the Kings and Queens or the mullahs of today. All the same- the wheels on bus go round and round.

Thread to be locked I am sure.

obtuse people such as yourself

obtuse-demotivational-poster-1238561610.png

Throw him in the hole, Dice! Two months, grain and drain.

:gossip: Check behind that poster in his cell while you're at it, he's up to something...

Suburban Mass. Man: Comics Fan, Math Teacher, Terror Suspect

BOSTON — Tarek Mehanna grew up in Boston's upscale suburbs, earned a doctorate in pharmacology, taught religion and math at a Muslim middle school and was considered a typical American kid by those who knew him. Yet Mehanna, who had Egyptian and U.S. citizenship, told a friend he felt out of place in America, according to documents filed in court. And prosecutors say he used his hostility toward this country in a plot to kill U.S. troops in Iraq, assassinate top politicians and shoot down shoppers in U.S. malls.

Dr. Abdul Cader Asmal, a family friend who was president of the Islamic Center of Boston in Wayland when Mehanna was a middle school student attending weekly religious education classes, remembered him because they shared an interest in Superman. He said Mehanna would bring comics to show in class.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569122,00.html?test=latestnews

What I'm happy about is that our law enforcement agencies are catching more and more of these alleged nut-jobs before they are able to do something terrible. Kudos should go out to these law enforcement officers who work so hard to keep us safe.

To maybe save the thread and get it back on topic:

Trooper what I can't shake though is the feeling of being duped with some of these. The Chicago arrest and the Dallas arrest were people that were set-up into believing that they were being given the devices and means of destruction.

What's bugging me is that I keep asking myself, had these people not have been set up with this "sting" operation and given the means and measure, would they have acted or acted out in the way that they did? Would they have sought out these things on their own and/or were they coerced into these things? The answer to this question scares the hell out of me.

I believe it is akin to these "To Catch a Predator" Dateline episodes. People have to understand, very very few prosecutions actually take place due to those set-up situations.

Hmmm...

Secular/non-religion/agnostic/atheists people like Hitler and Stalin you mean?

:whistle:

Hmmmm., need to brush up on your history quite a bit?

As in Hitler the Catholic? Here is a few of his beliefs -

"Christ was the greatest early fighter in the battle against the world enemy, the Jews ... The work that Christ started but could not finish, I -- Adolf Hitler -- will

There were many books written about Hitler's religion and ties to the Roman Catholic church. Let's see, where is the head of the Roman Catholic Church located? Oh yeah, in Italy ( Vatican) . And who was the ally of Germany during WW2, oh yeah - Italy.

As in Stalin who studied at a seminary, re-opened the churches during and after WW2 and elected a Moscow Patriarchate? Who outlawed religion but then used it to control the masses. Why yes, I do mean people like him too.

So if you replace secular/non-religion/agnostic/atheists with Roman Catholic and Russian orthodox then you have had a point.

At least you would have had a little point by bringing up the Khmer Rouge, but that is classified by some as a religion by itself.

After WW I Hitler renounced his Christian faith and accepted Darwin's teaching as the truth.

This lead to his master race - survival of the fittest krap.

So did Stalin.

Both had some plans to be ministers before WW I.

WW I f'ed people up good.

All the leaders of evil in WW II were WW I vets. :(

That just proves people drank the Kool Aid before there was Kool Aid.

Christ was the King of the Jews. doh!

Narrow minded, obtuse people such as yourself generally post like above so I will keep it simple so you can follow. First, I never wrote that religion was evil in the above post ( I agreed with Supa so maybe you want to reply to him) - that is just something you decided to put in from someone else's post to suit your own myopic interpretation. Next time you feel to lash out at someone's post you might want to get your facts straight otherwise it just makes you look foolish.

Everything I wrote above absolutely is committed in the name of religion - whether it is masking for something else or to purport another agenda. If you think otherwise, that is just ignorance. Most of the major religions were created to control the masses and maintain a power base - whether it was the Caesars, the Kings and Queens or the mullahs of today. All the same- the wheels on bus go round and round.

Thread to be locked I am sure.

No. Your post was a list of, I assume, what you consider to be crimes that are on the fringe of rational human behavior, and you are trying to say that the only people that could do such a thing are people involved in a religion. I was merely pointing out the flaw in your reasoning because it is just something you shot from your hip.

Let's analyze it so you understand where you're incorrect, because MOST of these are not exclusive to religious zealots...

cutting peoples heads off, - This seems to be quite popular among the sexual predators of the world.

mass plotting to kill innocent people, - School shootings, mass murderers, this is not just popular amongst the Bible thumpers.

preventing gays from marrying, - I'm not religious and will vote no on this one. As will the majority of America regardless of religious background.

infringing on womans rights, - Such as the drunk father that beats his wife and keeps her from socializing. I'd argue the majority have no religion.

bombing abortion clinics, - I'll give you that one.

creating holy wars, - Two for you.

dividing families, - Most religious people I know are very much family oriented. Most family problems have nothing to do with religion, so I have no idea where you got this from.

martyr killing, - Three for you.

telling you are going to hell because you are gay or "living in sin," - Four for you.

committing honor killings, - Man walks in on his wife and his best friend. Man kills both. I doubt this is only done by people of the cloth.

committing rape as "punishment," - Sexual predators again. What religion do they belong to?

So your list is just something you threw out there to devalue religion and the people involved in it. For the most part they are not things that are predominantly isolated to people of religion.

I agree that there are wacko religious loony toons that do extreme things in the name of their God. But in no way are they the only loony toons in the world. There are some wacky non-religious ding dongs that are equally dangerous. Religious people are generally pretty passive, it's just the extremists that are the problem, but you can be an extremist and have absolutely no religion.

The problems of the world are not because of God. They are because people can't agree to disagree. That's something that will never change. No matter how badly you or anyone else wants peace, love, and rainbows, it will never happen because people are people. If you want someone to MAKE them be nice to each other, then you're not any better than what you're complaining about in the first place.

Trooper what I can't shake though is the feeling of being duped with some of these. The Chicago arrest and the Dallas arrest were people that were set-up into believing that they were being given the devices and means of destruction.

What's bugging me is that I keep asking myself, had these people not have been set up with this "sting" operation and given the means and measure, would they have acted or acted out in the way that they did? Would they have sought out these things on their own and/or were they coerced into these things? The answer to this question scares the hell out of me.

I believe it is akin to these "To Catch a Predator" Dateline episodes. People have to understand, very very few prosecutions actually take place due to those set-up situations.

The way they were caught in Chicago and Dallas ( I live in Chicago btw) gives me no pause, no bad feelings and zero worries.

In fact it is some of the finest police work I have ever heard of.

These were people that sought out the weapons, sought out terror groups, sought out the best way to kill the most people.

The government, finding these people, did two things: 1) made sure they could not hurt anyone and 2) made sure they went away for as long as possible.

What person would take, what they think is, a van full of explosives into a crowded city center, into a populated building, park it, walk away, take the phone that is used to detonate it, dial the detonation number waiting for dozens if not hundreds to be killed?

Do yo really think that someone without a malignant heart or willingness to kill is going to do all that if it wasn't in their head to begin with? Do you think you or anyone you know could be "coerced" into looking for a bomb, searching out a terror group, trying to blow up a building if that wasn't what they wanted to do?

In the past the FBI or local PD would have busted the guy with manuals or downloads of how to build these weapons and they would get charged with, maybe, felony possession of illegal materials and get a year or two in jail if they were lucky. Not a stiff penalty for someone who had it in their head to kills dozens.

The way they are doing it now is putting them away for attempted murder, attempted terrorist acts. Serious time.

These are bad people, with evil in their hearts, people who were given the opportunity at several steps to walk away and NOT TRY TO KILL A BUILDING FULL OF PEOPLE, and they didn't. They pushed the button.

You have nothing to be scared about. For the first time, you should feel that someone is protecting you.

That disturbs me too. Whilst the guy had to be pretty badly messed up to go through with the plan, it really REALLY helps when you've got people telling you it's good, here's the explosives, you're doing a wonderful thing, just push the button...

It's not difficult to find malcontents who will go along with such things given the support network, supplies, technical expertise and encouragment. Without all this they'd quietly live out their days snarling at the TV. It's the people who come up with the plans, gather the personnel/supplies etc, and make it happen that you need to catch.

That disturbs me too. Whilst the guy had to be pretty badly messed up to go through with the plan, it really REALLY helps when you've got people telling you it's good, here's the explosives, you're doing a wonderful thing, just push the button...

It's not difficult to find malcontents who will go along with such things given the support network, supplies, technical expertise and encouragment. Without all this they'd quietly live out their days snarling at the TV. It's the people who come up with the plans, gather the personnel/supplies etc, and make it happen that you need to catch.

You need to catch anyone and everyone who would commit a crime like this.

An industrious terrorist and a lazy terrorist are both still terrorists.

What you don't seem to understand is that both people they caught WERE ACTIVELY SEEKING OUT OTHER TERRORIST GROUPS TO JOIN AND BOMBS TO USE to kill large amounts of people. If the FBI didn't find them first there is no shortage of criminals in this country that would have given them what they wanted, and no shortage of terrorist groups looking for new recruits.

Would you be just as disturbed if someone was looking for an illegal sniper rifle to assassinate someone and instead they found an undercover FBI agent who sold them a gun that would not fire, and then waited for him to get in position and attempt the shot and arrest him after it failed? The difference is HUGE. If he would have been arrested after purchasing the weapon only he might face 5 years in federal prison, by giving him a fake and letting him try to carry out his plan you have illegal weapons, attempted capital murder, and perhaps attempted terrorist act charges. That's more along the lines of 25 years in jail. This is some of the smartest and tactically efficient police work I have ever seen.

It has the added benefit of slowing down all the other would-be bombers who now don't know if their supplier is really undercover. The fear is on the other foot, so to speak.

Neither of these guys were quietly grumbling in front of a television. Neither of these guys was a harmless but easily swayed person. I don't know why you'd think these were innocent people after what they tried to do. They wanted a bomb and they wanted it to kill innocent people. What they got was a fake bomb, thank God, and they used their own free will to decide what to do with it. Each chose to push the button.

If it wasn't for the FBI they might have found those terror groups they were looking for and we'd be talking about hundreds of dead people right now instead of 2 criminals in jail for attempting terrorist acts. That disturbs me far more than the police work that caught them.

The way they were caught in Chicago and Dallas ( I live in Chicago btw) gives me no pause, no bad feelings and zero worries.

In fact it is some of the finest police work I have ever heard of.

These were people that sought out the weapons, sought out terror groups, sought out the best way to kill the most people.

The government, finding these people, did two things: 1) made sure they could not hurt anyone and 2) made sure they went away for as long as possible.

What person would take, what they think is, a van full of explosives into a crowded city center, into a populated building, park it, walk away, take the phone that is used to detonate it, dial the detonation number waiting for dozens if not hundreds to be killed?

Do yo really think that someone without a malignant heart or willingness to kill is going to do all that if it wasn't in their head to begin with? Do you think you or anyone you know could be "coerced" into looking for a bomb, searching out a terror group, trying to blow up a building if that wasn't what they wanted to do?

In the past the FBI or local PD would have busted the guy with manuals or downloads of how to build these weapons and they would get charged with, maybe, felony possession of illegal materials and get a year or two in jail if they were lucky. Not a stiff penalty for someone who had it in their head to kills dozens.

The way they are doing it now is putting them away for attempted murder, attempted terrorist acts. Serious time.

These are bad people, with evil in their hearts, people who were given the opportunity at several steps to walk away and NOT TRY TO KILL A BUILDING FULL OF PEOPLE, and they didn't. They pushed the button.

You have nothing to be scared about. For the first time, you should feel that someone is protecting you.

My fear is this is exactly what we are suppose to believe.