• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BEHOLD . . . BLACK LOTUS

106 posts in this topic

OK, why is this an important card?

It is the fact that it is a 10?

Or is there really only one black lotus?

and, out of interest, do people press cards? Does it cause as much of a ruckus as pressing comics does?

I know this is a big time important card for the Magic people who play at my LCS. What's it really worth, best guess?

Well according to the seller:

In the 1990's Gaming cards joined this elete (sic) group of sought after Americana.

It's so expensive that the guy selling it had to pawn his spell checker.

Now thatsa pricey meata-ball.....

Great card as others have said and very hard to find but 89k BGS 10 or not is crazy to me. That being said I dont have any clue what graded copies of the Black Lotus have sold for in the past.

come on now, no need to be snide. :) In terms of 90s stuff, magic was pretty big. And this is the best copy of "the" card.

If a guy wants $80k+ from me he had better to be able to make it past the 3rd grade spelling portion of "Are you smarter than a 5th grader."

I'm sure a lot of us here played magic at one point...I had to stop if I had ever hoped to get a chick lol,....comics are a lot cooler...I just refer them to Mallrats or Chasing Amy! haha My girlfriend's best friends boyfriend still plays magic. So everytime they get together I have to hang out with him and pretend we're friends. He heard I played magic like 15 years ago so always goes through all the new rules with me and it drives me CRAZY! I literally start nodding off like a heroin addict. No offense to anyone that plays..it's a fine game..But talking to me about the rules now is like explaining advanced calculus to me

I had all the moxes and a white boarder black lotus at one point. I sold them online to some guy in Singapore in 1999 and spent the money on a VF+ Hulk 181 lol....I think I got maybe 500$ for the set of cards...in retrospect if I some how held onto them I would of made a load of money!!!

Whatever blows your hair back right????

Actually since I'm 27 years old, I was a kid in the 90s. To me when I see a black lotus it's total nostalgia though if I had one i'd just sell it for comics....

Not to change the subject but the most nostalgic 90s collectible to me is BONE #1 !!! I still don't have one but it's on my wish list to buy after Christmas!

P.S. I apologize for my grammar....I feel like it's gotten worse over the years for reasons I can't understand lol

OK, why is this an important card?

It is the fact that it is a 10?

Or is there really only one black lotus?

and, out of interest, do people press cards? Does it cause as much of a ruckus as pressing comics does?

Think of it as the Action 1 of Magic cards. However, if I had an extra 89k to spend, I'd go with the Action 1.

I didn't really think there was a market for Magic cards anymore. I remember giving away commons by the hundreds back in the day to a schoolteacher acquaintance who gave them to his students.

I have a question. Is there a difference between a BGS 10 and a PSA 10 to justify that asking price? (shrug)

I haven't collected cards in a while, but if I'm right, PSA is the company to use for 1990 and BEFORE cards, and BGS for the more recent.

At least, that's what prices have shown (to me, anyway).

from wikipedia

"The most expensive card which was in regular print (as opposed to being a promotional or special printing) is Black Lotus, with average prices as of 2009 above $700 and high-quality "graded" copies rising above $3,000 — in 2005, a "Pristine 10 grade" Beckett Grading Services graded Beta Black Lotus was bought by Darren Adams, owner of West Coast Sports Cards & Gaming Distributors in Federal Way, Washington, for a record $20,000. A small number of cards of similar age, rarity, and playability —chiefly among them the other cards in the so-called "Power Nine"— routinely reach high prices as well."

come on now, no need to be snide. :) In terms of 90s stuff, magic was pretty big. And this is the best copy of "the" card.

If a guy wants $80k+ from me he had better to be able to make it past the 3rd grade spelling portion of "Are you smarter than a 5th grader."

Dude.. seriously wtf do you care if he kin spell? Eidder he gots the goods or he don't.