• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BEHOLD . . . BLACK LOTUS

106 posts in this topic

What I want to know is what the card does for you...I mean does it add Magic to your Gathering of druids, orcs, and lesser imps?

I don't get it.

It does one thing for you - speed. If you have that card in your opening draw, chances are you can hit the other guy before he hits you and an early advantage often means an eventual win.

having never played magic, presumably you cant lose the card (like flipping baseball cards)? I would be quite annoyed to have another player take that form me.

and once it is "slabbed" do people play with those cards?

If you can manage to find a "Type 1" tourney anywhere nowadays (shrug) and have the slabbed card onhand, usually they will let you proxy the card (thumbs u (use a stand in, usually a land). I still have the majority of my collection, about 200k cards from back when it started in 1993. And yes, the Alpha Black Lotus is now more desirable than the Beta because it can be played in Type 1 legal tournaments with a COLORED SLEEVE(cant tell the difference in the rounded corners with colored sleeves on your deck).

Bradley: I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and your family and consider you a super close friend but I really wish I didn't know that you know all this stuff. Any other "stereotypical" facts that I'm going to learn about you in the coming years...pog collection? Your vast knowledge of D and D (both basic and advance levels), You and Erica live in your mothers basement?

Jim

Answers to your questions:

1. Absolutely NO POGS! A rediculous game that should have never been invented!

2. D+D, yes, along with Robotech :grin:. I still have all my original manuals and compendiums, but its been almost 20 years since ive played :eek: .

3. Well, i practically live in MY basement, seeing as how its my mancave and all :headbang: ; Erica is allowed entry ONLY for special occasions (and Facebook-ing of course lol )

2. D+D, yes, along with Robotech :grin:. I still have all my original manuals and compendiums, but its been almost 20 years since ive played :eek: .

3. Well, i practically live in MY basement, seeing as how its my mancave and all :headbang: ; Erica is allowed entry ONLY for special occasions (and Facebook-ing of course lol )

lol Me Too.

I still have all the original modules and books and sets, and a ton of modules still in shrink wrap for the original D&D. Have not played that stuff since I was 14. Ahh memories....

I just moved 2 giant storage containers of that stuff into my storage space.

This will only mean something to Brad....I still have a minty fresh Deities and Demigods with the Cthulu and Elric Mythos included. :headbang:

What I want to know is what the card does for you...I mean does it add Magic to your Gathering of druids, orcs, and lesser imps?

I don't get it.

It does one thing for you - speed. If you have that card in your opening draw, chances are you can hit the other guy before he hits you and an early advantage often means an eventual win.

having never played magic, presumably you cant lose the card (like flipping baseball cards)? I would be quite annoyed to have another player take that form me.

If you can manage to find a "Type 1" tourney anywhere nowadays (shrug) and have the slabbed card onhand, usually they will let you proxy the card (thumbs u (use a stand in, usually a land). I still have the majority of my collection, about 200k cards from back when it started in 1993. And yes, the Alpha Black Lotus is now more desirable than the Beta because it can be played in Type 1 legal tournaments with a COLORED SLEEVE(cant tell the difference in the rounded corners with colored sleeves on your deck).

Bradley: I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and your family and consider you a super close friend but I really wish I didn't know that you know all this stuff. Any other "stereotypical" facts that I'm going to learn about you in the coming years...pog collection? Your vast knowledge of D and D (both basic and advance levels), You and Erica live in your mothers basement?

Jim

Oh God...why did I ask??? doh!

The fact you scored Erica is a near miracle

:foryou:

Jim

Jim

Hey Don't rip on Brad, (tsk)

When you were a 10-14 year old kid in the 80's it was perfectly acceptable to play D&D.

Hell this was pre arcade for me, pre-VCR, pre playstation, pre-lots of things that would eventually replace D&D.

If you play any role playing style game on PS3 or Wii or X-box or on the PC (including Super Hero games) you aren't allowed to pick on what Brad played when he was a teen.

:sumo:

Personally, I quit once I discovered pocket pool.

Here I am 25 years later, married to a lovely woman with 2 great kids. You can recover from paper and dice RPG's...Brad and I are examples. :angel:

This will only mean something to Brad....I still have a minty fresh Deities and Demigods with the Cthulu and Elric Mythos included. :headbang:

God I hope not :wishluck:

Jim

lol Me Too.

I still have all the original modules and books and sets, and a ton of modules still in shrink wrap for the original D&D. Have not played that stuff since I was 14. Ahh memories....

lol I pickt up a nice 1st edition of this in FLA last year for $5. I now have 3 i think... :insane:

Jim

Think Editors Variant/Recalled Version of Sandman #8 in CGC 9.8...same concept.

And just so you know...only on the CGC board is it ok for guys to who collect comics, that you can't read, neatly encased in plastic containers to make fun of guys who played D&D when they were 14. :P

Jim

Hey Don't rip on Brad, (tsk)

When you were a 10-14 year old kid in the 80's it was perfectly acceptable to play D&D.

Hell this was pre arcade for me, pre-VCR, pre playstation, pre-lots of things that would eventually replace D&D.

If you play any role playing style game on PS3 or Wii or X-box or on the PC (including Super Hero games) you aren't allowed to pick on what Brad played when he was a teen.

:sumo:

Personally, I quit once I discovered pocket pool.

Here I am 25 years later, married to a lovely woman with 2 great kids. You can recover from paper and dice RPG's...Brad and I are examples. :angel:

Born in 1971, so I know exactly where you're coming from. I just skipped over D and D, and went straight to sports and chicks. Went straight from comics, Star Wars and my Atari 2600 to lead a somewhat normal highschool years.

BTW I choose not to play any videogame that isn't based on a scoring system and being able to last the longest on a three life system. :sumo:

Jim

lol Me Too.

lol I pickt up a nice 1st edition of this in FLA last year for $5. I now have 3 i think... :insane:

There goes Brad combing the back woods for the unknowing and unwitting. (tsk)

She was a blind grandmother for God Sakes Brad, she could not even see Cthulu much less know how valuable he was had she seen him. :devil:

OK, why is this an important card?

It is the fact that it is a 10?

Or is there really only one black lotus?

and, out of interest, do people press cards? Does it cause as much of a ruckus as pressing comics does?

BGS 10s are fairly hard and to answer your question people trim cards more than press them. Most people are in the dark about it and think (many) trimmed cards are not graded by the big 3 companies. The truth is that tons are and many, many high grade cards are trimmed.

I don't get it.

You can remember all that but you can't find an Avengers 195? (shrug)

Your opponent can at any time during the match ask you to de-sleeve your deck. All cards must be legal and in playable condition. Playing with a colored backed sleeve is irrelevant.

Jim

And just so you know...only on the CGC board is it ok for guys to who collect comics, that you can't read, neatly encased in plastic containers to make fun of guys who played D&D when they were 14. :P

I was talking video games with one of my law partners' 14 year old son the other day. He was talking about Halo and I was explaining Oblivion (an RPG) to him. My law partner overhears the conversation and goes on a 10 minute tirade about D&D and asks me if I dress up when i play Oblivion. I say no, of course not. :whistle:

But I did tell him that a couple of the kids I played with when I was a teenager had made some pretty sweet scale models of their characters. He could not have been more disgusted that I had played D&D as a youth. It would have better recieved if I had told him that I worshipped Shuma-Gorath or fornicated with spiny anteaters.

Jim

I was talking video games with one of my law partners' 14 year old son the other day. He was talking about Halo and I was explaining Oblivion (an RPG) to him. My law partner overhears the conversation and goes on a 10 minute tirade about D&D and asks me if I dress up when i play Oblivion. I say no, of course not. :whistle:

But I did tell him that a couple of the kids I played with when I was a teenager had made some pretty sweet scale models of their characters. He could not have been more disgusted that I had played D&D as a youth. It would have better recieved if I had told him that I worshipped Shuma-Gorath or fornicated with spiny anteaters.

Why was he so upset?

fundamentalist?

Jim

Why was he so upset?

fundamentalist?

Nerd-Hater. He was the prototype for Ogre in ROTN. It took him years to get over the comics. I had to show him the values to get any respect.

oh, i wouldn't go that far.

If you want to get rid of those modules let me know. Esp. if you have any of the City State of the Invincible Overlord stuff, Judge's Shield supplements, Alarums and Excursions or Arduin Grimoire. Also any of the basic modules like the A series 1-5 or the rest of the B series past B2. :D

I'm about to start an AD&D 1st edition campaign with a group of friends. All of us haven't played the game in like 15 years or something.