• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone wrote a book, or been involved in writing one? Submitted one?

75 posts in this topic

I've been an editor on a few books, and I've got a story published in an anthology or two. I'm actually a professional editor, so I know a thing or two about the business.

Honestly, the key for new writers is to just keep writing. Sign up for contests. Show your work around. Go to cons. Meet artists if you're working on comics. Self-publish if you need to, just to get something in the hands of editors. If you're a good writer and you know some people who can help, you'll be "discovered."

Established properties like Star Trek, well, those are pretty much for established writers. Once in a blue moon an unknown might land a gig writing an owned property, but those are rare, and in most instances would fall into the "it's who you know" category.

Either way, just keep writing and telling the stories you like telling.

Listen to the man.. He knows of what he speaks! Very intelligent and friendly

You know, I don't think I ever announced that you'll be in my next book. I wonder if now's a good time to tell everyone. hm

:acclaim:

Sorry I should have been more clear. I am specifically trying to learn about the comic writing process. I know a little bit about the process of writing novels/storys, but im more interested in what you have to do to get a comic book done. Thank you all for the advice so far!

I've written Spawn 19 & 20, 1/3 of the first Spawn bible, Daring Escapes 1-4, and a bunch of short stuff for places like Last Gasp.

Some rules for trying to write comics:

1) Get used to rejection.

2) See #1

3) Become friends with the people you want to work for without sucking up to them in an obvious way but still being so cool that they want to hang out with you.

4) If you want to work at Vertigo, silver PVC pants help, as does being British. For DC you just have to be part of the club. At Marvel the friend thing helps A LOT. Move to New York and bring them bagels every day.

5) See Rules #1 and #2

Conversely, you can attach yourself to an artist (or become one which is even better) and then self-publish your comics. Pimp the HELL out of yourself. Go to every Con within 500 miles, set up a table, and sell your comic to any and all who will buy. You will still get rejection but it will be directly from the consumer not some gatekeeper standing between you and success. Keep at it. It is THANKLESS.

Then, eventually, come to your senses and either a) get a real job or b) if you're young enough and can play people off each other deftly enough, go to Hollywood and start writing scripts: that's where the money is.

Comics pay mess money for horrible headaches. And for what? So you can rack next to Spiderman in a comic shop for a month--if Diamond even distributes your issue!

Try working at the Post Office and save yourself the trouble.

Now, if ALL of THAT doesn't discourage you properly, then go the route of writing, editing, re-writing and editing some more of your best ideas and get them into a publishable form.

Mentors in the industry could help if you know someone working in comics. Read as many comics as you can get your hands on. See what works and what doesn't. Read Eisner's book. Read Scott McCloud's books. Rinse. Repeat. If you can't draw find someone who can and just work through all the you will produce until you get to the good stuff that follows. Don't stop for anyone or anything.

Stephen King said something once along the lines of, 'Everyone has a million bad words in them. The trick to writing is getting to a million and one."

Here are some more specific questions, and some of my thoughts.

What is a good average number of pages in/for an indy book?

Once I know page count, I can figure # of books it will take to complete the story.

I havent been thinking about the number of books, and really dont have an idea of where i would be for that matter. Im just writing until i get what i want to get on paper.

Ive been writing my comics like a play/movie -script, Is that the way to go?

Once I know what I want on each page, should I make rough (and I mean rough...) sketchs of what I would like to see - or just descriptions and let it flow from the artist? Or should it be a little of both - example something i know I would like to see a certain way, etc ?

I know that I'll have more questions...

What is a good average number of pages in/for an indy book?

Standard comic is 22 pages. Use that as your base; 1 issue = 22 pages.

Ive been writing my comics like a play/movie --script, Is that the way to go?

Probably more of a "writer preference" than anything else. Depends on how much "control" of the story you want.

Jack Kirby basically "wrote" the FF's he ande Stan did back in the SA. Stan just added the words/dialogue. Alan Moore's scripts contain every single minute detail for the artist (a "panel by panel" breakdown of his vision).

But, I think writing it like a play/movie -script is pretty close to "standard".

One of the Swamp Thing trades has an Alan Moore "-script" in it. It's a few pages long, but only contains the first "page" of the book. Might be worth checking out. Also, one of the Sandman trades has Gaiman's -script (for Caliope, I think) in it. Worth checking out as well.

I wrote a Iron Man story that seen print in TOS #65. The story of Tony Stark's old golden Iron Man suit being stolen. He battles the guy wearing it in the climax of the story. I only got a thanks from Stan Lee and a "No-prize" for it. But it was a thrill to see my story drawn out and see print.

Over the years I've written a lot of articles that have gotten printed. Today I'm working on a "work procedure" instructions book for a company. Kind of boring, but as always looking forward to seeing it in print.

My daughter is a designer for a magazine. She sets up how the magazine pages will look. She gets to travel a lot for the company. This year we were lucky enough to hook up with her at Lake Tahoe. I was on vacation there and she had a assignment there at the same time. I love seeing her work. She always shows me the cool pages she's working on before they go to print. She does that just to hear my opinion.

I suggest if you write, let someone else read it over for feedback. Rearranging and re-writing will lead to a well written story.

How did the Iron Man story come about? It sounds like a great story.

i'm currently writing the final draft of my debut novel. i have a story or two being published later this year/early next year.

1. listen to reno, he knows his chit. he is good at what he does. i pm'd him a few months ago with a few questions, he answered and gave me a possible resource as well. just sayin' may want to give him a shout.

2. scripting for comics is difficult to get a handle on if you have been writing standard stories. what i've done with the few -script pages i have written so far, is i imagine what i want the art to look like.

3. if you don't know an artist who will do the art for you cheap, you probably will not make money on the project if you are just starting out.

4. NO FAN FICTION, EVER. editors and publishers will not accept fan fiction, they also look at the work as a poet lauret (Editor! spell check!) would look upon a 13 year old's poem.

5. don't force it, let it flow.

j

disclaimer i am in no way a professional writer....yet. just a semi-pro writer.

You are incorrect about how you titled your header. You need to check your spelling also.

These are essential basic elements if you want to write, and submit stories.

Better you hear it from forumites, than a editor. And I wish you good luck on your

submission. :)

I believe that can go either way, but I believe 'wrote' is correct here. A better way would have been "Has anyone ever written a book?" English grammar... eek.

You are incorrect about how you titled your header. You need to check your spelling also.

Better you hear it from forumites, than a editor. And I wish you good luck on your

I believe that can go either way, but I believe 'wrote' is correct here. A better way would have been "Has anyone ever written a book?" English grammar... eek.

Irony folks. In circles forever.

:D

...and on so many levels. You said "a editor"...should be "an editor"...not that I really care...just chock full of goodness this thread is.

:whee:

It's fun to walk into the local Barnes & Noble and see your books on the shelf...

cover.jpg

balboabk2.jpg

Are you kidding your THAT JEFF DELANEY! I have the Newport Beach post cards book :applause:

on the cover of the second book, whats that woman doing??? it looks like shes holding his head on...

I stand corrected. I thought I was using the correct Noun Marker.

The editing will come later; for now, just let your ideas flow onto paper.

...and on so many levels. You said "a editor"...should be "an editor"...not that I really care...just chock full of goodness this thread is.

:whee: