• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Cover to Justice League #2!

16 posts in this topic

I have permission from the seller to post and this cover is too phenomenal not to share. As the story goes, the brother of the current owner took a tour of DC in 1962 and at the end of the tour, Julius Schwartz GAVE this cover to him! The cover was eventually put in a box where it sat in a closet for 40+ years!

The person negotiating the sale is Richard Howell (I don't know him) and his e-mail is:

RHOWELL@nj.rr.com. Bidding is already well into the mid to upper five figures so please only contact him if you are seriously interested.

I have no hand in this sale -- just wanted to share because I think this cover is awesome and one that I would have loved to have owned!

JLA.jpg

Very nice but there's a piece in serious need of reproduction stats! If I were the one selling it I'd spend a couple of bucks before shopping it around and have the stats recreated and a little conservation work done. For the money it would cost on a piece this valuable I definitely think it's worth it and would really help the final price.

In the end I'm sure whatever dealer winds up with it will have the work done themselves and then put it up for sale at double the price.

Very nice but there's a piece in serious need of reproduction stats! If I were the one selling it I'd spend a couple of bucks before shopping it around and have the stats recreated and a little conservation work done. For the money it would cost on a piece this valuable I definitely think it's worth it and would really help the final price.

In the end I'm sure whatever dealer winds up with it will have the work done themselves and then put it up for sale at double the price.

I think the problem when people create new stats is that they don't tell the buyers. I prefer to have everything preserved in the original condition. It's one thing to have an overlay created that can supplement the piece. But if new stats are created and pasted directly onto the actual art, I think you've done something similar to restoring an old comic. I've never had any restoration work done, but I'm personally against modifying or manipulating any original work.

I couldn't disagree more. So long as the buyer knows what they're buying there's no issue. This was originally a throwaway byproduct of the comic book production process. If you want to consider it art, I think making it appealing so it would look better hanging on the wall is absolutely no problem. If you are a fan of the comics medium (which most of us are) why wouldn't you want it to look the way the artist intended with the stats the artist and editor envisioned as the final product.

Your point of view makes more sense to me if you consider this a historical artifact to be preserved rather than a piece of art to be viewed and admired

BTW, having the work conserved would stabilize the paper which is obviously under duress from the non-archival storage, elements, time and supplies that were used at the time of production. Fortunately for us bristol board is very durable. Having stats recreated and even (gasp!) having them directly applied to the board in modern times by someone that knows what they are doing would cause LESS damage to the cover than leaving it in it's current state.

On a high profile piece like this one, it will be obvious if replacement stats are added, so that is almost a non issue.

But there are hundreds of covers on ebay with replacement stats or with cleaning or restoration. With no disclosure and no mention of the improvements in the ebay descriptions whatsoever.

So while there is no doubt these restored pieces will display better on the wall, if the potential buyer does not email the dealer prior to purchase, then he might not be buying what he thought he was buying. I personally have no problem with replacement stats or with cleaning or restoration, but I still want to know what I'm getting.

Wow! Very cool!

I wouldn`t be surprised if this ends up in ER`s collection.

I'll take the other side of that trade (as usual :baiting: ). I'm with Ruben - some dealer will buy it and mark it up 100% on their website where it will either sit for an eternity or eventually "sell" in a deal where there is less than meets the eye. :doh: