• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of those head-scratchers...!?!

23 posts in this topic

First, look at this Human Torch # 6 .

Then this Human Torch 6

One with "small amount of CT on cover", another with "very minor amount of CT on cover", yet one is a Blue Label, the other a PLOD. I know this whole issue has been rehashed several times, with more prominent examples (The Mile High More Fun 52), but I still find it to be a very subjective criteria and I don't know how it benefits the hobby.

I wonder if there has ever been a Silver Age book with a blue label and a "very minor amount of CT on cover" notation? Somehow, I don't think so....893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Can't add much to what I've said about this anomaly - either it was an arbitrary decision, or CGC allows FN+ or lower G.A. books to have very minor amounts of C.T. as it falls within the grade parameters. Could be one pre-graders definition of "minor" is different to another. God knows.

Then this Human Torch 6

One with "small amount of CT on cover", another with "very minor amount of CT on cover", yet one is a Blue Label, the other a PLOD. I know this whole issue has been rehashed several times, with more prominent examples (The Mile High More Fun 52), but I still find it to be a very subjective criteria and I don't know how it benefits the hobby.

I wonder if there has ever been a Silver Age book with a blue label and a "very minor amount of CT on cover" notation? Somehow, I don't think so....893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"Very Minor" is reserved for GOLDEN AGE books with a tiny amount of color touch. "Small" is PLOD. I believe they've been very consistent with that wording. Also, they MAY have an objective definition of what "very minor" means- they just aren't telling us smile.gif. As for the rest, Steve explained the reasoning in detail somewhere here. Someone else must have a link. It's truly been done to death.

"Very Minor" is reserved for GOLDEN AGE books with a tiny amount of color touch. "Small" is PLOD. I believe they've been very consistent with that wording. Also, they MAY have an objective definition of what "very minor" means- they just aren't telling us smile.gif. As for the rest, Steve explained the reasoning in detail somewhere here. Someone else must have a link. It's truly been done to death.

There was one added nugget about this lately though, and that was Steve commented that this policy applies to books before "about 1950" (stated in so many words).

Then this Human Torch 6

"Small" is PLOD. I believe they've been very consistent with that wording. Also, they MAY have an objective definition of what "very minor" means- they just aren't telling us smile.gif. As for the rest, Steve explained the reasoning in detail somewhere here. Someone else must have a link. It's truly been done to death.

Sorry...been away for a while.

What's PLOD? Pretty Low-grade Overstreet Disaster?

If you get a raw book back from GCG with a PLOD, why wouldn't you just de-slab it and try to sell it raw?

893naughty-thumb.gif Because that is dishonest and would make you no better than "you-know-who"!!!

Chris

If you get a raw book back from GCG with a PLOD, why wouldn't you just de-slab it and try to sell it raw?

893naughty-thumb.gif Because that is dishonest and would make you no better than "you-know-who"!!!

Chris

Not if you disclose the restoration.

I asked Matt Nelson about this and his experience with CGC's qualitative restoration descriptions is that they roughly correlate to quantitative amounts, so "Very small"/"Very minor" is less than "small" is less than "moderate" is less than "heavy." When CGC lists books with a "very minor" amount of restoration as universal label, Steve has said that they give the book the grade it would get if the restoration were to be removed and that a "very minor" amount of restoration has little or no effect on grade were it to be removed.

Here are my current guesses as to how much the various color touch descriptions would lower grade if it were to be scraped off--"very small"/"very minor" translates to 0 to 2 notches and "small" translates to 2 to 5 notches. Beyond that I'm not sure because I don't look at and don't hear others describe much about books with moderate or heavy CT since it's rare to find that much work on Silver Age books.

don't hear others describe much about books with moderate or heavy CT

I've got a copy of Superman #2 that has SO much color touch......

{all} - How much color touch does it have???

-Without the color touch, there would be no front cover at all.

-I put it under a black light and the reflection gave me skin cancer.

-The front cover color touch actually bleeds through...to the BACK cover.

-I'm scared to let my 8-month old daughter near it because of the paint chips.

I'll be here all week.

Do you have a scan of that Spidey 58 you could post here where the label text is visible? If you don't know how to post pictures, e-mail it to me at ruddj@comcast.net and I'll post it here for you. I collect scans of unique CGC and raw books like yours; I've never seen a label before that said "one dot." I may eventually put up a gallery of images useful in learning grading or reverse-engineering CGC's standards.