• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

white mountain vs curator

135 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure the WM Hulk 1 is a 9.2....and sold several years ago either at Heritage or Clink. 50 K comes to mind. GOD BLESS...

Given that the Northland 9.2 copy sold in 2004 for $75K and again on ComicLink for $117K (it's on their home page), I'm thinking you're off. This article on Schmell's site also says the WM Hulk 1 is an 8.0:

http://www.pedigreecomics.com/article.php?article_id=6

I always hear "bone white pages" for the Curator Pedigree. Well I own only one Curator Pedigree book and it has OW/W pages according to CGC.

You hear that because the books were stored in the absolute ideal environment for 35-40 years in a museum vault and the pages should be the same color as of the late 1990s that they were in the early 1960s. I'm sure some have yellowed slightly since they were broken out, and as we've all seen, CGC's evaluation of page quality varies--hard to say when the last time the light bulb was changed in the grading lamp used when your book went through. :boo:

More interesting trivia.

The main reason that caused the curator to sell his books was that the museum that he was storing his books in was going to be renovated forcing him to move them out of there.

As far as page quality goes, it really is relative as nobody has a time machine to go back and compare PQ to a new copy.

Until recently the Church books were the rule that all others were measured by when it came to white pages. We've since seen Pedigree books like the small Vancouver collection that have pages that were even more white than many Church books.

R.

I'm pretty sure the WM Hulk 1 is a 9.2....and sold several years ago either at Heritage or Clink. 50 K comes to mind. GOD BLESS...

Given that the Northland 9.2 copy sold in 2004 for $75K and again on ComicLink for $117K (it's on their home page), I'm thinking you're off. This article on Schmell's site also says the WM Hulk 1 is an 8.0:

Definitely an 8.0.

I know one of the previous owners who had it as a CGC 8.5 and the book was unfortunately resubbed and consequently downgraded to an 8.0.

People always wonder what the risks are of playing the resub game and there is a very, very expensive example showing that it is not all win.

It may have been the Northland I was thinking about. I do seem to remember seeing the WM Hulk in an ad or something. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Definitely an 8.0.

I know one of the previous owners who had it as a CGC 8.5 and the book was unfortunately resubbed and consequently downgraded to an 8.0.

People always wonder what the risks are of playing the resub game and there is a very, very expensive example showing that it is not all win.

Roy, are you sure its not the Pacific Coast Hulk #1 you're thinking of?

Definitely an 8.0.

He probably is. The WM has chipping issues.

Definitely an 8.0.

He probably is. The WM has chipping issues.

You guys are both correct.

doh!

I was typing a little too early this morning and was not thinking clearly. It is the PC copy.

(thumbs u

I've always thought it was a shame CGC hasn't recognized the Golden States. I think they're far nicer that a lot of the pedigrees they do recognize.

I agree, but it's not their fault, Greenhalgh didn't keep enough records to identify most of the books. He regretted that and made sure he did keep better records when he found the Winnipegs. I've heard him say that Golden State was the best bunch of books he's ever had though...does anyone know if one of the two FFs, the 9.4 and 9.6, in the Pedigree Comics vault is a Golden State copy?

I understand CGC's reasoning for nor recognizing the Golden States, but I still think they could have. I bought hundreds of GS books directly from Dan and got a receipt with the books.

I'm pretty sure the Dan had the Winnipeg collection before he got the Golden States. It's too bad he didn't create certs for the GS books too.

I doubt that one the two FF #1 in the Pedigree vault is the Golden State. I don't think the collection got really nice until 1964 or 1965.

I understand CGC's reasoning for nor recognizing the Golden States, but I still think they could have. I bought hundreds of GS books directly from Dan and got a receipt with the books.

It seems tough for them to evaluate the overall quality of the collection like that though. If you were able to locate a lot of the rest of the collection and let CGC evaluate all of it, they could change their mind...seems like a big pain in the patookus to do at this point though.

I doubt that one the two FF #1 in the Pedigree vault is the Golden State. I don't think the collection got really nice until 1964 or 1965.

I think it went back a bit further. I bought this from Bob Storms when he sold off his collection, and he told me it's a Golden State. I'll eventually resub this, as it's the most undergraded 9.4 I've ever owned.

ff16.jpg

I've always thought it was a shame CGC hasn't recognized the Golden States. I think they're far nicer that a lot of the pedigrees they do recognize.

I agree, but it's not their fault, Greenhalgh didn't keep enough records to identify most of the books. He regretted that and made sure he did keep better records when he found the Winnipegs. I've heard him say that Golden State was the best bunch of books he's ever had though...does anyone know if one of the two FFs, the 9.4 and 9.6, in the Pedigree Comics vault is a Golden State copy?

I'm pretty sure the Dan had the Winnipeg collection before he got the Golden States. It's too bad he didn't create certs for the GS books too.

Barton,

Do you think that since the GS collection continues well into the modern age ( I just purchased two late copper/modern UXM's from Stephen) and that most of the other ped's seem to be exlcusively SA/early BA that might have hurt it's chances? I noticed CGC did something sort of similar with the later Winnipeg's. If so than that is truly a shame cause there is nothing I find more impressive than a collector who maintans a collection for so long and with such breadth.

Curator by a mile. Curator has the best examples of Silver Age comics, period. The closest to Curator would be the Pacific Coast Pedigree. Despite having books such as AF 15 9.4, White Mountain isn't even a Top 3 Pedigree.

Sorry, refresh my memory as to which mega-keys are in the Curator and PC collections again?

It all goes down hill from there...in regards to the WM.

Barton,

Do you think that since the GS collection continues well into the modern age ( I just purchased two late copper/modern UXM's from Stephen) and that most of the other ped's seem to be exclusively SA/early BA that might have hurt it's chances? I noticed CGC did something sort of similar with the later Winnipeg's. If so than that is truly a shame cause there is nothing I find more impressive than a collector who maintains a collection for so long and with such breadth.

I know it happened with the Mass books. Once you get out of the Bronze Age, CGC will not recognize the pedigree.

It seems tough for them to evaluate the overall quality of the collection like that though. If you were able to locate a lot of the rest of the collection and let CGC evaluate all of it, they could change their mind...seems like a big pain in the patookus to do at this point though.

I think it went back a bit further. I bought this from Bob Storms when he sold off his collection, and he told me it's a Golden State. I'll eventually resub this, as it's the most undergraded 9.4 I've ever owned.

ff16.jpg

Killer book. Just another example of why the collection deserves pedigree status. I'd guess that it's too late for CGC to change their minds. I think the collection is pretty well-dispersed by now.

But here's the ASM #28:

ASM28.jpg

Barton,

Do you think that since the GS collection continues well into the modern age ( I just purchased two late copper/modern UXM's from Stephen) and that most of the other ped's seem to be exlcusively SA/early BA that might have hurt it's chances? I noticed CGC did something sort of similar with the later Winnipeg's. If so than that is truly a shame cause there is nothing I find more impressive than a collector who maintans a collection for so long and with such breadth.

I think it was just the lack of certificates or record keeping that hurt the GS collection with CGC. I think Steve B. or Mark H. have even said that.

I own at least 1 copy of every Silver Age pedigree except a Curator copy. I only collect FF, and God only knows where those copies exist. I've seen images of other board members Curator copies and they're extremely nice. My Nothlands (FF 63 & 88), Mass. copies (FF 32 & 58)and PC's (70, 99 & Ann 4) are all extremely nice and I would have difficulties evaluating them against each other.

But, I must state I care about the WM's the most. I know many do not like the date stamps and writing, but thats what makes them special. Why the stamps and/or writing are so special is that WM's can truly be identified. You crack a case on a Curator or PC and sell it raw, there is no possible way of identifying the book without having proof of purchase and/or the ownership history. I own 6 WM copies and every copy have brilliant glossy colours and PQ that is either white or OW-W. Even my lower graded WM covers are more brilliant than any of my other 9.6's.

Kerry

I own at least 1 copy of every Silver Age pedigree except a Curator copy. I only collect FF, and God only knows where those copies exist.

A few people know who owns the Curator FFs, but they don't share who it is because he's a well-known comics creator and he'd get bugged about selling them if it were generally known. I know at least one of the major Silver collectors already bugged him about it. I found out who it is while interviewing Hauser for an article, but I'd never share it even privately, as the info would spread like a virus via Google indexing and searching since it adds to the Curator mystique, much like the transgender surgery bit did.

I own at least 1 copy of every Silver Age pedigree except a Curator copy. I only collect FF, and God only knows where those copies exist.

A few people know who owns the Curator FFs, but they don't share who it is because he's a well-known comics creator and he'd get bugged about selling them if it were generally known. I know at least one of the major Silver collectors already bugged him about it. I found out who it is while interviewing Hauser for an article, but I'd never share it even privately, as the info would spread like a virus via Google indexing and searching since it adds to the Curator mystique, much like the transgender surgery bit did.

I know

I know
:popcorn: