• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

white mountain vs curator

135 posts in this topic

I own at least 1 copy of every Silver Age pedigree except a Curator copy. I only collect FF, and God only knows where those copies exist. I've seen images of other board members Curator copies and they're extremely nice. My Nothlands (FF 63 & 88), Mass. copies (FF 32 & 58)and PC's (70, 99 & Ann 4) are all extremely nice and I would have difficulties evaluating them against each other.

But, I must state I care about the WM's the most. I know many do not like the date stamps and writing, but thats what makes them special. Why the stamps and/or writing are so special is that WM's can truly be identified. You crack a case on a Curator or PC and sell it raw, there is no possible way of identifying the book without having proof of purchase and/or the ownership history. I own 6 WM copies and every copy have brilliant glossy colours and PQ that is either white or OW-W. Even my lower graded WM covers are more brilliant than any of my other 9.6's.

Kerry

Only collect FF. (worship)

I've always thought it was a shame CGC hasn't recognized the Golden States. I think they're far nicer that a lot of the pedigrees they do recognize.

I agree, but it's not their fault, Greenhalgh didn't keep enough records to identify most of the books. He regretted that and made sure he did keep better records when he found the Winnipegs.

Greenhalgh found the Winnipegs before he found the GS collection. He also found the Winnipegs long before CGC came on the scene. So he may have kept better records on the Winnipegs, but it wasn`t because GS was denied pedigree status by CGC.

And I agree that the GS books were gorgeous. On the other hand, the ones that I`ve seen were from the mid-1960s, and there are lots of books from the mid-1960s onwards that are gorgeous, some from pedigrees and some not.

I own at least 1 copy of every Silver Age pedigree except a Curator copy. I only collect FF, and God only knows where those copies exist.

A few people know who owns the Curator FFs, but they don't share who it is because he's a well-known comics creator and he'd get bugged about selling them if it were generally known. I know at least one of the major Silver collectors already bugged him about it. I found out who it is while interviewing Hauser for an article, but I'd never share it even privately, as the info would spread like a virus via Google indexing and searching since it adds to the Curator mystique, much like the transgender surgery bit did.

I know

(worship)

I doubt that one the two FF #1 in the Pedigree vault is the Golden State. I don't think the collection got really nice until 1964 or 1965.

I think this goes back to the standard debate as to what type of collection should be recognized as a pedigree. As NM and better SA Marvels from 1965 onwards are not all that rare, should any HG collection that is mostly made up of post-1964 books be given pedigree status?

My opinion is that it should not, no matter how high the average grade of all those post-1964 issues.

I think this goes back to the standard debate as to what type of collection should be recognized as a pedigree. As NM and better SA Marvels from 1965 onwards are not all that rare, should any HG collection that is mostly made up of post-1964 books be given pedigree status?

My opinion is that it should not, no matter how high the average grade of all those post-1964 issues.

I understand your thinking, but don't agree with it. Personally, I like that CGC recognizes recognizes some lesser pedigrees like Boston, Rocky Mountain, and Oakland. Are they as impressive as the PCs, Curators, and White Mountains? No, definitely not. But each collection has characteristics that may make it more or less desirable for certain collectors.

In my case, I'm a fan of Boston books. They usually have rich colors and fresh, supple pages. If I see Boston on the label, it helps me know what kind of book I'm getting.

There's definitely a drop-off in Silver Age pedigrees after the big boys like the Curators, PCs, White Mountains, Mass, and Northlands. But that's ok with me. Collectors can decide for themselves if certain pedigrees are worth the extra coin.

The other neat thing is that Marvel 9.4 and above post 1964 are so easy to get is that a Pedigree gives you a collecting challenge. I think it is pretty cool to get a run of books that were once owned by one collector.

I understand your thinking, but don't agree with it. Personally, I like that CGC recognizes recognizes some lesser pedigrees like Boston, Rocky Mountain, and Oakland. Are they as impressive as the PCs, Curators, and White Mountains? No, definitely not. But each collection has characteristics that may make it more or less desirable for certain collectors.

In my case, I'm a fan of Boston books. They usually have rich colors and fresh, supple pages. If I see Boston on the label, it helps me know what kind of book I'm getting.

There's definitely a drop-off in Silver Age pedigrees after the big boys like the Curators, PCs, White Mountains, Mass, and Northlands. But that's ok with me. Collectors can decide for themselves if certain pedigrees are worth the extra coin.

In general, I think the pedigree designation is less useful the further in years you move from 1963 but, at the same time, more info is good so I'm fine with the labeling that CGC does since it allows collectors the ability to choose.

Regarding the original question, I think I would be quite happy if I had a set of WMs for the early books and Curators for the later books. I would be guaranteed to have an awfully pretty set, even if the books in either collection wasn't the "top" copy.

I'd also need the Newsboys Showcase run because there's nothing in the list of Peds that would have Showcases as sweet as that set. :cloud9:

I did get a chance to see one or two of adamstrange's pre-superhero WMs in Baltimore. The page quality was excellent and the colors were very very nice.

It's very hard to find copies of pre-hero books that match the WMs for page quality, color and gloss.

But here's the ASM #28:

ASM28.jpg

Beautiful copy of my favorite Spidey! (worship)

I'm sorry I was distracted during my short trip to the NY Con as I had hoped to spend more than just a couple minutes chatting with you. :sorry:

:golfclap:

i was looking through some of my pacific coast pedigrees and noticed that some do not have the round sticker on the case but are still labeled and wanted to know who places them there cgc or the person who found the collection?

i was looking through some of my pacific coast pedigrees and noticed that some do not have the round sticker on the case but are still labeled and wanted to know who places them there cgc or the person who found the collection?

Robert Roter from the Pacific Comic Exchange is the guy who brought most of the collection to the market. He put the stickers on the cases. Many of the books were bought raw before CGC opened its doors. Chances are, those books never got the stickers after they were sent to CGC.

The WM stickers would be cool to see. Do you have any images of those stickers or know someone who might?

Kerry

Courtesy of Red Hook.

wm.jpg

Robert Roter from the Pacific Comic Exchange is the guy who brought most of the collection to the market. He put the stickers on the cases. Many of the books were bought raw before CGC opened its doors. Chances are, those books never got the stickers after they were sent to CGC.

Basically, if the PC books were slabbed directly by Robert Roter, then they likely have the PC sticker on them. If the PC books were slabbed directly by others (either by Tom Hanlin, who bought raw books directly from the PC OO, or by collectors who bought raw books from Roter), then they don`t have the PC sticker on them.

Basically, if the PC books were slabbed directly by Robert Roter, then they likely have the PC sticker on them. If the PC books were slabbed directly by others (either by Tom Hanlin, who bought raw books directly from the PC OO, or by collectors who bought raw books from Roter), then they don`t have the PC sticker on them.

My buddy has the FF 13 that he bought raw from Roter. It has the sticker on the mylar with another sticker that has Roter's numerical designation for grade and PQ....all for the princely sum of $ 600. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u