• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peanuts? What is your all-time favorite syndicated comic strip?

74 posts in this topic

1. Calvin & Hobbes - I was like Calivin as a kid in soooo many ways. Huge imagination, love the outdoors, always played in creeks, daydreamed in school, made up my own games and hated my babysitters.

2. Foxtrot - I have a mom, dad, older brother and a sister in the middle (I'm the youngest FYI). My brother's name is Jason, my sister called herself Paige for a long time even though it's not her name and my parents were about to name me Peter before they went with Justin. The Fox family is so much like my family it's scary.

Calvin and Hobbes.

:sumo:

Definitely Calvin and Hobbes.

Really got into it during college. I'd go to one of the uptown bookstores looking for something interesting to read and would inevitably hit the C&H's spinner rack and grab another book. Best dern krapper reading material ever.

One of my all time favorite Watterson quotes: "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."

Here is an obscure strip from the early 60's....TALL-TALES by Mad artist Al Jaffee.

Take a little sampling from one of my favorite sites: Ger Apeldoorn's wonderful THE FABULOUS FIFTIES site...devoted to comic books and strips of the 50s!

Kind of reminds me of the FAR SIDE! take a peek...

http://allthingsger.blogspot.com/search/label/Al%20Jaffee

Enjoy.

Calvin and Hobbes. Brilliant and imaginative, right from the get go. Far Side would run a strong number two. Zits is also quite good and would probably be number three.

Loved Peanuts as a kid, but as I read the reprints being run now, I'm trying to remember what I saw in it. I suppose it was innovative in its day, and sometimes it gives me a chuckle. Maybe it's like I Love Lucy; after so many imitators, it's hard to recapture what it must have been like when it was fresh and new.

Calvin and Hobbes. Brilliant and imaginative, right from the get go. Far Side would run a strong number two. Zits is also quite good and would probably be number three.

Loved Peanuts as a kid, but as I read the reprints being run now, I'm trying to remember what I saw in it. I suppose it was innovative in its day, and sometimes it gives me a chuckle. Maybe it's like I Love Lucy; after so many imitators, it's hard to recapture what it must have been like when it was fresh and new.

I agree...Calvin and Hobbes was awesome...modern strip that is a close second for me is Zits...it gets the lunacy, intelligence and self-importance that many of us went through as teenagers... 2c