• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10 years on eBay.

130 posts in this topic

So anybody have any good stories to tell about eBay?

Well - the board has been involved in a few.

rustysstarwars (this wasn't so good)

jgreen

daddyslittlegirl

I came on to eBay and just missed the daddyslittlegirl collection but I did end up talking to the seller. It was a guy named Youngblood and I think him and his brother were involved in a very long, very elaborate scam.

Unless FF chimes in with some credible info, I believe that even the final bidder on the daddyslittlegirl collection was involved with the scam and was simply trying to build credibility for the scam.

From my recollection these guys were offering a large SA collection for sale and wanted several $1K for it. The told me how they were the ones that sold (or bought, can't remember) the daddyslittlegirl collection recently and these were more of the same books.

I'm betting that they were simply salting the mine with the daddyslittlegirl sale using a shill bidder and then trying to resell the books a 2nd time as a different collection using that credibility.

The guy was a really good con man. Really good at working angles and posturing to get a desired response. We played telephone tag for weeks but I never bit as I caught on to his game pretty early that he was trying to play me.

Anybody else have a 10 year eBay anniversary this year?

I am coming close mine is April 2010...

It's kind of weird but ebay has lost a lot of it's luster for me.

I recently crossed the Big 500 feedback with a purple star and all

and honestly I don't think I really care.

Maybe it's all the fees, maybe it all the changes, who knows

but I don't buy my books from there too often since the boards started selling

with people that can friggin' grade for pete sake.

Anyway sorry to pizz on yer parade...

Congrats! I guess...

:)

Congrats Norrin...next June marks 10 years on eBay for me.

Despite all its warts and changes for the worse, no other site comes remotely close to offering the massive scope and depth of available comics for sale, nor the sheer volume of potential customers and site traffic. :sumo:

The big changes off the top of my head:

1. You could leave feedback to anyone for any reason, even if you didn't have a transaction with them.

2. Method of payment was decided by buyer and seller and was always done through snail mail. Checks, money orders, and cash were all valid options. Due to this, there was a lot more correspondence between buyers and sellers.

3. EBay didn't have a photo hosting service, you had to include photos in your auctions through an independent host.

4. All listings were auctions, there were no "Buy It Now" listings or eBay stores.

5. You could use your e-mail address as your eBay ID, and many people did.

6. All bidding activity was visible in every auction, and bidder's IDs were not masked. You could even search by specific user names to see what they were bidding on.

7. The comic book chat board on eBay was vibrant and full of useful information. In fact, back in the early days it was much like the CGC boards are now. It was used to expose fraudulent sellers and auctions, and to discuss every aspect of the hobby.

8. You were allowed to make 1 bid on each of your auctions. :o

stfu-noob.jpg

I knew you'd chime in. When did you start, '96?

I've been on since late '97.

Official Member since: Aug-07-97

but was on when it was still AuctionWeb.

9. You could scroll through ALL the comics listings in about 10 minutes every morning. Missed nothing.

Joined August 11, 1999.

Hard to believe there are so many people here that been an eBay member that long. All started out selling comics on eBay? :)

I went from Pokemon cards (bought and sold for my kid's collections which I still have) to Barbies, to comics (and jewelry too).

From Wikipedia:

The online auction website was founded as AuctionWeb in San Jose, California, on September 3, 1995, by French-born Iranian computer programmer Pierre Omidyar as part of a larger personal site that included, among other things, Omidyar's own tongue-in-cheek tribute to the Ebola virus. In 1997, the company received approximately $5 million in funding from the venture capital firm Benchmark Capital.

The very first item sold on eBay was a broken laser pointer for $14.83. Astonished, Omidyar contacted the winning bidder to ask if he understood that the laser pointer was broken. In his responding email, the buyer explained: "I'm a collector of broken laser pointers." The frequently repeated story that eBay was founded to help Omidyar's fiancée trade Pez Candy dispensers was fabricated by a public relations manager in 1997 to interest the media. This was revealed in Adam Cohen's 2002 book, The Perfect Store, and confirmed by eBay.

Meg Whitman was hired as eBay President and CEO in March 1998. At the time, the company had 30 employees half a million users and revenues of $4.7 million in the United States. eBay went public on September 21, 1998, and both Omidyar and Skoll became instant billionaires. eBay's target share price of $18 was all but ignored as the price went to $53.50 on the first day of trading.

stfu-noob.jpg

I knew you'd chime in. When did you start, '96?

I've been on since late '97.

Official Member since: Aug-07-97

but was on when it was still AuctionWeb.

9. You could scroll through ALL the comics listings in about 10 minutes every morning. Missed nothing.

one time back in `97 I calculated I had something like 2% of all comic auctions at that moment -- and it was something like 200 that i had listed --

From Wikipedia:

The online auction website was founded as AuctionWeb in San Jose, California, on September 3, 1995, by French-born Iranian computer programmer Pierre Omidyar as part of a larger personal site that included, among other things, Omidyar's own tongue-in-cheek tribute to the Ebola virus. In 1997, the company received approximately $5 million in funding from the venture capital firm Benchmark Capital.

The very first item sold on eBay was a broken laser pointer for $14.83. Astonished, Omidyar contacted the winning bidder to ask if he understood that the laser pointer was broken. In his responding email, the buyer explained: "I'm a collector of broken laser pointers." The frequently repeated story that eBay was founded to help Omidyar's fiancée trade Pez Candy dispensers was fabricated by a public relations manager in 1997 to interest the media. This was revealed in Adam Cohen's 2002 book, The Perfect Store, and confirmed by eBay.

Meg Whitman was hired as eBay President and CEO in March 1998. At the time, the company had 30 employees half a million users and revenues of $4.7 million in the United States. eBay went public on September 21, 1998, and both Omidyar and Skoll became instant billionaires. eBay's target share price of $18 was all but ignored as the price went to $53.50 on the first day of trading.

Very interesting. (thumbs u

Andy