• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is a damn strange Ebay auction.

12 posts in this topic

I'm not usually one to post strange auctions, but this one is just friggin off the planet!

The title just says 'Captian America'.

The cover shown is for #44.

But the description is this:

CAPTAIN AMERICA ..... ... 10 pages total, of golden age, and silver age and reprint pages of miscellaneous comics incomplete stories you will get everything in the scan, ...condition come's as is.. The cover front of captain america #44, is not original , the pages are lose, pages are brown to cream, very worn & very rough with tears and bits missing, print is good and color is good.

So you'll basically get a color photo-copy of the cover, then ten pages of basically unrelated sh it!

WTF! :screwy:

(I took another look and found several similar listings from the same seller. The title just changes. eg. One shows the cover of an early Detective.)

I know without looking that the seller is "grassrootscollectibles". He's done this stunt for years. A total nut. And I've clicked into his auctions for years, if only to marvel at the sheer chutzpah of them. :screwy:

Someone who is trying to scam money from an unwary buyer by hiding details in the description, I can sort of understand. But this guy comes straight out as says "Hey! I'm selling sh it ! Bid on it."

Amazingly, after years of running this scam, this seller still gets bids for this garbage and has eked out a 98.7% positive feedback.

If you read the feedbacks, they usually seem to be from bidders who weren't that pleased what they received (for obvious reasons), but probably figured it wasn't worth escalating over ten bucks or whatever. But occasionally, he's gotten a neg or neutral from someone who paid a silly amount for this stuff and couldn't get him to refund their bid price.

He often describes the reprint covers as being "in fair condition", too. I'm always kind of tickled by that. lol

Does still use his own "nickel grade" grading scale? - which was impossible to decipher even if you cared.

I will say that reading the descriptions, it's pretty clear what you're (not) getting - so anyone who paid a high prace for this is a fool.