• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

closed

64 posts in this topic

thank you. Guys remember everyone is new at one time. We should be trying to get as many people on this site as possible, not upset people and drive them away. My intentions were not to upset anyone. I mentioned the press comment because the seller MENTIONED the comics were pressed. Thanks for the guys that helped me out and I won't make comments about topics in sales threads ever again.

Dennis

thank you. Guys remember everyone is new at one time. We should be trying to get as many people on this site as possible, not upset people and drive them away. My intentions were not to upset anyone. I mentioned the press comment because the seller MENTIONED the comics were pressed. Thanks for the guys that helped me out and I won't make comments about topics in sales threads ever again.

Dennis

Very True... WTTB!

what he said. the full disclosure should be applauded, even if it wasn't really necessary. we're a community here, so it's a polite thing to do.

not to hijack the thread, but i wonder if a bunch of those books didn't even benefit from the press. there are a million threads on the topic and you should read them, but many of the most prevalent defects are not going to get pressed out anyway.

i have a bunch of sharp BA books up in the forum. i can only envision 1 or 2 of them possibly getting a tiny bump from a press. i guess there's a lot of pressing going on, but then again, there are a lot of books out there. if only 5% of the high grade copies will benefit, that's a few copies in the small world of HG cgc slabs.

personally, unless you plan on cracking out every book you buy and getting them pressed (and incurring huge CGC grading fees in the process), it shouldn't really impact how you spend your money except to understand the market a little better.

Dennis

Very True... WTTB!

so now the new guy should spend a couple hundred bucks with spidey-tilt to make up for the inconvenience

Can someone please explain why pressed comics are even mentioned? I know what pressing means and obviously so does CGC. If it's really an issue how come they don't comment about it on their grades? Does pressing reduce the price of the comic? If so how come CGC does not make a press comment? It makes no sense to me.

I would really appreciate someone explaining this to me since I'm going to put around 30K into comics in the next couple of months.

It's a polite thing to do.

It's like noting if there is a small date stamp that's hard to see or small writing on the inside margin somewhere that doesn't effect the grade.

:signofftopic: When done professionally, CGC cannot detect pressing.

SOT is going to be taking a break from the boards, and I am considering NEVER to disclose pressing again unless someone privately asks me.

I wake up this morning seeing 4 new posts thinking to myself I will probably see atleast one :takeit: and be happy with one last sale.

What do I see but more posts on a topic that is not appropriate to discuss in a sales thread. I tried to ignore it and just be cool about it, but some of you guys just kept it going.

THIS IS WHY PEOPLE STOP DISCLOSING INFORMATION.

Thank you to the boardies who have bought something from me, and to the rest of you, well let’s say I have never been so PO on the boards as I am this morning.

TAKING A BREAK FROM HERE……………………….

John

weren't most of the posts applauding you for being such a good guy?

i wanted to emphasize to the new guy that a press may not even bump up a grade on a book and your 9.6ses may have been 9.6ses anyway.

the post got made by the new guy and 4 or 5 of us wanted to jump in and let him know there's nothing wrong with those books, you're a stand-up guy blah blah blah

don't be mad

SOT is going to be taking a break from the boards, and I am considering NEVER to disclose pressing again unless someone privately asks me.

I wake up this morning seeing 4 new posts thinking to myself I will probably see atleast one :takeit: and be happy with one last sale.

What do I see but more posts on a topic that is not appropriate to discuss in a sales thread. I tried to ignore it and just be cool about it, but some of you guys just kept it going.

Thank you to the boardies who have bought something from me, and to the rest of you, well let’s say I have never been so PO on the boards as I am this morning.

John..you did the right thing.

For those that can not go along with a simple request from the initiator of a thread....STAY OFF THAT THREAD .....thread crapping is rampant on here lately.

It seems that some folks on here are so full of information that they think the rest of us need to know their every thought....WRONG .

Sorry John,

don't let a few ignorant knuckleheads keep you off the boards, you are a good guy to have on here (thumbs u

I think the mayhem caused by disclosing is fun, John. A little mayhem is good for the soul. Don't ever let mayhem -- or anything or anyone -- come between you and comic books.

For me, comic books smash the living spoon out of all the hand-wringing, bed-wetting crybabies.

Let those sniveling weasels sit-up at night, worrying in a cold sweat over whether or not the books in their long boxes were pressed down in Texas long ago.

I'm talking about those weasels on both sides.

The pressers worry over the press crashing the nosebleed market they helped create.

The anti-pressers worry over the press creating a nosebleed market they can't afford to play in.

Those who call pressing restoration will agree with you that it can't be detected when done skillfully & that it beautifies a book.

Those who refuse to call pressing restoration worry over that term diminishing the value of their pressed comics.

When being honest with themselves, both sides will agree that restoration as used in this hobby is without formal definition & that there will never be a recognized version of Websters or the OED or some other similar learned treatise or universally recognized authority to give it one, not Overstreet, not CGC, not greggy.

There is only one way to kill this & reset all to its virgin state of all things being equal:

Press 'em all with a vengeance.

John

John, I applaud your proactive disclosure. This was just a newbie asking questions in the wrong place. He'll learn. I don't think anyone said that you shouldn't press or should disclose in some other manner. It would be no different if a noob had come on and asked why CGC would give X grade to that book with X defects. Wrong place. It takes a little while to learn the etiquette.

I, for one, think that your proactive disclosure had nothing at all to do with the thread getting derailed.

I agree. The guy was new, asked a question regarding pressing in a sales thread, which he apologized for I might add, and then there was a comment or two regarding pressing. I think you definitely are doing the right thing by proactively disclosing. Not that I really care, I don't play in the end of the pool where pressing really makes a difference monetarily, so I could give a rip about it. I know you're regarded as one of the "good" guys on the boards, so I hate to see you "chased" off. Hope you change your mind.

Johnny: Don't leave, you did the right thing with the proactive disclosure. It's what makes you one of the good guys, and why I call you my friend.

Jim

+1

I understand what John is saying. Sometimes it is hard to tell the newbies from the shills in this place. And all the thread crapping that has gone on in the past only makes the situation worse.

I can see the point of a newbie walking aimlessly into a minefield like the pressing topic, but it was the questions raised which were really poor form, and can totally understand where John is coming from. Sorry, but no matter how new someone is, most people should know better not to walk into a bakery, head straight to the front of a long line of people to ask the cashier out loud if the bread is fresh. If you don't think there is anything wrong with asking questions like that out loud, then you probably need to seriously consider taking the money you would have otherwise spent on buying comics, and use it toward developing the most civil and basic of all social checks known to civilized society.

Honestly if a question and a little banter make you angry, selling in a forum isnt for you. Its the cost you pay for having a fee-free transaction imo. Thick your skin up boy.