• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do Anti-Pressers HATE pressing?

1,017 posts in this topic

has any headway been made in this discussion over the last ten years ?

Absolutely. I gave up on collecting runs of high grade SA Marvels that hadn't been pressed, and sold off my entire SA collection. As we've learned, several other hobbyists did, too. :acclaim:

I stumbled across this thread a while ago and had to give up after i read the first 20pages from 2016. Not much has changed as far as opposite opinions go. I actually thought that this topic had finally succumbed to the back pages of comic history and pressing had simply become an accepted reality.

Seems that is still not the case. Was there anything in the last 25 pages that would be worth reading?? hm

Pressing has become an accepted reality. I don't see anyone here talking as if there's a way to stop it, or telling other people they shouldn't do it.

For the noobs: before you start humping buttons, I'm friends with Roy and RMA, so no one's fighting here. Put on your big-boy pants.

If anyone imagines there is conflict going on here, they are mistaken. This is a discussion between grown men, which requires sober judgment and critical analysis. That doesn't mean there is conflict.

Which can even happen when the people in the discussion aren't friends. That's another thing some people need to learn, and not just blame it on "contentious posting" or "contentious posters".

(thumbs u

-slym

For the noobs: before you start humping buttons, I'm friends with Roy and RMA, so no one's fighting here. Put on your big-boy pants.

If anyone imagines there is conflict going on here, they are mistaken. This is a discussion between grown men, which requires sober judgment and critical analysis. That doesn't mean there is conflict.

Which can even happen when the people in the discussion aren't friends. That's another thing some people need to learn, and not just blame it on "contentious posting" or "contentious posters".

(thumbs u

-slym

contentious post. Mods notified

But, you didn't. That's the problem.

And I'm not being snide; the reality is, this market pays more for the number. Would you pay the $4300 this exact book sold for in 2014 if that was still the 9.2 that it sold for for $1750 in 2011?

The 9.2 may have been more appealing to you....but no one was willing to pay $4300 for it until it was in a case that said 9.6.

Same book.

And until and unless that changes....and it doesn't seem all that possible, much less likely...then this will continue forever.

Your post neglects the point that the pressed and shrunken version of the JIM #93 should never have been graded higher than the unpressed version. The latter is a nicer comic, a point most everyone agreed with in the original thread on the poor pressing of the Cole Schave collection.

One of the engines that keeps the pressing train rolling is the grading company ignoring twisted and shrunken covers, arrival dates turned into ink stains, staple impactions made larger, relocated spines, horizontal top and bottom edge creases, vertical creases along over pressurized spines, fuzzy staples from where the cover was pulled away, and the other overt defects introduced all too often by the pressing process. And which are especially common on pressed early SA Marvels.

I understand from reading in the thread about the new holders that there may also be a problem with some pressed comics suffering cover damage in the form of long vertical lines of color loss near the right edge, possibly from underlying micro chamber paper. Consistent punishing of these instances of pressing-induced damage with lower grades would go a long way toward forcing pressers to maintain the highest levels of care and expertise, and dis-incentivize the loss of the high grade unpressed early SA Marvel from the comic marketplace. So would an acceptance by the grading company that gentle bending of the cover overhang is a natural phenomenon, and need not be pressed out to look like an over starched shirt at the dry cleaners in order for an early Marvel comic to receive a NM+ or higher grade.

If I want pancakes I go to IHOP... :censored:

I've been following this whole thread. I feel so dirty.

Nothing that a dry clean and press wouldn't fix up.

do you make house calls. :wishluck: I can't go out in public like this.

But, you didn't. That's the problem.

And I'm not being snide; the reality is, this market pays more for the number. Would you pay the $4300 this exact book sold for in 2014 if that was still the 9.2 that it sold for for $1750 in 2011?

The 9.2 may have been more appealing to you....but no one was willing to pay $4300 for it until it was in a case that said 9.6.

Same book.

And until and unless that changes....and it doesn't seem all that possible, much less likely...then this will continue forever.

Your post neglects the point that the pressed and shrunken version of the JIM #93 should never have been graded higher than the unpressed version. The latter is a nicer comic, a point most everyone agreed with in the original thread on the poor pressing of the Cole Schave collection.

One of the engines that keeps the pressing train rolling is the grading company ignoring twisted and shrunken covers, arrival dates turned into ink stains, staple impactions made larger, relocated spines, horizontal top and bottom edge creases, vertical creases along over pressurized spines, fuzzy staples from where the cover was pulled away, and the other overt defects introduced all too often by the pressing process. And which are especially common on pressed early SA Marvels.

I understand from reading in the thread about the new holders that there may also be a problem with some pressed comics suffering cover damage in the form of long vertical lines of color loss near the right edge, possibly from underlying micro chamber paper. Consistent punishing of these instances of pressing-induced damage with lower grades would go a long way toward forcing pressers to maintain the highest levels of care and expertise, and dis-incentivize the loss of the high grade unpressed early SA Marvel from the comic marketplace. So would an acceptance by the grading company that gentle bending of the cover overhang is a natural phenomenon, and need not be pressed out to look like an over starched shirt at the dry cleaners in order for an early Marvel comic to receive a NM+ or higher grade.

If I want pancakes I go to IHOP... :censored:

The only kind of pancakes I make are the edible kind.

:D

That's your argument, not the one underpinning Roy's analogy. I'm saying the analogy, on its own merit sucks, and even adding your point, the argument still sucks because the absurd overvaluation doesn't exist in the car market. You can't just discount the profit motive, as I highly doubt that Roy, who makes a living selling comics, would press books for their "benefit" without the profit motive inherent to the absurd overvaluation of uber high grades.

The analogy still holds.

For a low or a mid-grade book (like a decent Toyota Camry) removing the dent may not increase the value of the car, but it would make it more appealing for pride of ownership.

Now if you have a low to mid-grade Vintage Ferrari, then removing a few dents would possibly even increase the value of the automobile.

And the dent analogy holds true because if the paint is chipped or damaged (the way paper fibers might be damage in a hard crease) then even the dent removal will not fix that defect in much the same way that a pressed crease will not eliminate the crease. Only minimize it.

And the repair would be apparent because of the 'tell signs'

But on the right subject, it would be totally invisible with no tells, short of a molecular analysis.

Now, take a very high end car. Like a Shelby Cobra or a 1984 Ferrari GTO (which might be worth several million dollars) and one small dent will likely significantly affect the appeal and value of the car. So instead of replacing the fender, you 'invisibly' press it out.

Voila, your car might be worth $500K more (or whatever - I have no idea).

So, much like comics there are many ways to use the technique and they add different forms of value, depending on the subject the dent removal is applied to and what the owner is trying to achieve.

My main point being, there is no disclosure mechanism in the automotive industry that I know of regardless of dollar values - unless you are replacing parts.

WOW! Some posts gave Roy a chance to talk about cars...I think he might be at the tilting point... :baiting::insane:lol

Two parting thoughts before I give up on this thread.

1. Not only has the pressing horse left the barn, he's crossed the field, gone up over the mountain, hopped a freight train, got off at a port, boarded a ship and is now cruising somewhere in the South Atlantic.

2. Down through the years there's been an awful lot of off-putting stuff that's happened in the hobby from shady practices by some of the largest dealers, to undisclosed color touch and glue on high-dollar books, to faking of pedigree marks on books, to auction shilling, to the abrupt turn the hobby took when CGC arrived and books went from being read to being sealed away in plastic forevermore.

With all these other issues, I find it curious that using a press to remove a bend or a ding or two from a book causes some people such angst.

Hobbies are like everything else--jobs, friendships, marriages--in being a mixture of good and bad. I guess it's for each of us to determine whether the bad has started to exceed the good and it's time to exit.

Still, despite having read through all the anti-pressing sentiments, it's puzzling that it would be this issue that has made some people draw back from the hobby.

You're wrong! Hobbies are about arguing!! :makepoint::sumo:

I've been following this whole thread. I feel so dirty.

Nothing that a dry clean and press wouldn't fix up.

do you make house calls. :wishluck: I can't go out in public like this.

:headbang: