• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigrees - Rank'em

62 posts in this topic

I enjoyed reading all the info in the white mountain vs curator thread so...

Just curious on peoples opinions on all the different pedigrees and collections out there

Which have the whitest pages?

Which have the best colours?

Do certain ones have a certain smell? (everyone says Church books have a smell)

Which have the most supple pages etc etc etc

Post pics too. Threads like this are a little stale without pics. If you have a raw ped lets see those inside pages.

Which have the whitest pages?

Curator, far and away.

Which have the best colours?

Personally, I'm partial to Western Penns. The Marvels and DCs that I've owned uniformly had covers that positively dripped. You had to wear sunglasses to look at the B&B 34 with its brilliant blue cover. But I was never that impressed with the page quality, even the books that CGC ended up grading as OW-W.

The David Toth books look incredibly fresh too, and the back covers are these amazing expanses of unmarred, unsmudged whiteness. :cloud9:

Other popular choices will be Curator, PC, Boston, Golden State and Rocky Mountain.

1 of the great things about Pedigree books especially the high end, more widely recognized ones are that they have very distinctive characteristics of being stored together in the same manner. Its what makes collecting Pedigreed copies of books that much more fun and why different Pedigrees appeal to different people (in addition to the story behind them).

From personal experience and following up what Tim said Ive found in the Mass books I had they also had great cover inks (though Id give the nod to the Western Penns over them). However when you are talking structure and centering nothing comes close to Pacific Coasts. The 1st time I got my hands on one many years back I was in shock at how structurally perfect the book was.

However when you are talking structure and centering nothing comes close to Pacific Coasts. The 1st time I got my hands on one many years back I was in shock at how structurally perfect the book was.

Great point. If you`re into QP, then PC is the collection for you. The OO clearly was selecting based on QP when he picked books off the stand.

Western Penn snow white pages,bright colors.I dont for the life of me know how this is only a 9.0,looks like a 9.6

Scan10066-1-1.jpg

Probably the entire right edge of the book? (shrug)

Slammin my sh :censored:t :mad: the covers right side is just fine,it just looks that way through the scan rantrant

I'm partial to the Western Penn. I've owned a few PC's and Boston so I can't really relate to the others being discussed.

There's nothing like seeing runs of HG books that look as though they were just purchased off the newstand.

When I saw what remained of the collection there were multiples of all the Marvel Keys as the founder was a Marvel Collector. I never held that against him!

I walked into the "Comic Room" and what I saw was awesome. The outcast DC's were stacked on a table. What comes to mind were the 10 or so Metal Men #1's that I saw. He then said "If you want one, take one, you can have it."

The Marvel runs: ASM, Avengers, FF, ST, TOS, TTA were all in mylars with duplicates of the #1's and later issues. I have never seen a nicer AF 15.

The Showcase 22, 23 and 24 sold for 1K before I saw the books but I did end up buying GL 1 and some of the GL Run along with some crappy Flash and JLA books. Over the years he ended up sending me some B & B and Showcase books because he knew I was putting those runs together.

Before you ask, No I don't have any of those books left and the few I have aren't for sale at this time!

There was a near complete run of Fanzines from the beginning of Fandom which I had the oppurtunity to catalog.

Most of the GA books had been sold, to recoup the payment for the collection, but what was left were stunning. I was told that a few dealers had purchased some of the GA material and were passing them off as Mile High's. I have no reason to doubt what I was told from what I saw and the relationship we still have after 20+ years.

I was offered the FF run for $4K, who would want that stuff when you're focused on the ultimate comic book publisher DC?

If the collection came to market in this day and age I can't even fathom what it's market value would be but that's really not the issue here it's about ranking the books.

That's why I would rank it #1. But I'm partial so you guys can take for what it's worth.

Tom

Western Penn snow white pages,bright colors.I dont for the life of me know how this is only a 9.0,looks like a 9.6

Scan10066-1-1.jpg

Probably the entire right edge of the book? (shrug)

Slammin my sh :censored:t :mad: the covers right side is just fine,it just looks that way through the scan rantrant

Calm down. I'm not slamming anything. You asked a question, I answered it based on what I saw in the scan. There was no malicious intent. :eyeroll: