• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil "Echo" David Mack storyline

15 posts in this topic

Seems discussed enough that it should have a thread.

Mr. Mack bears the unfortunate fallout of an editorial decision about Echo that makes him the target of a lot of negative feedback. The "Echo" storyline was supposed to be an experimental, art-driven one-shot GN, but JQ decreed that it should be contained in the Daredevil title itself instead (so Bendis could take a break).

As a result, some brilliant artwork and unusual character writing got turned into what many fans considered an "interruption" in the cool Bendis storyline, sparse on action, oddly rendered, and alien to the general styles of the genre. "What is thus stuff?" was most peoples' reactions.

Personally, I think Mack is an art god. In fact, I'm working on purchasing some original Echo storyline paintings. But I agree that the style of the 5 issues didn't fit into the Daredevil proper comic.

I regret that Mack has to endure all kinds of snide comments online in newsgroups about his work, since he's obviously poured a lot of thought and feeling into it (and his work is quite fine), but I can also understand the baffled reaction of many fans.

Yesterday my local comic shop told me DD dropped from a 100-issue selling book to 20 or fewer.

Well, maybe that means these issues will be rarer...

Obviously Joe Quesada made a poor choice to shoe-horn the Mack storyline into the regular title... and he's paid for it by a significant loss of sales on Daredevil, just to buy Bendis a break.

I agree with you that Mack is a talented artist, and I'm sure that people will come to respect the work when it finally sees print in the format it was designed to be in. Mack is, indeed, an "art god" and one of the nicest human beings you will meet in this industry (surpassed only by Andy Lee).

However, when you have a significant group of readers hooked on Bendis' hardboiled crime fiction you don't bring everything to a screeching halt by presenting a 5-issue storyarc of abstract work.

Kev

I enjoyed the story very much, although I will say I'm happy Bendis is back (as I like his writing better). One of the employees at my LCS was raving about the "Echo" story as the best story he read last year. Really liked it.

Mack's art is fantastic. Just not what people are used to seeing. Reminds me of McKean's Sandman covers. cloud9.gif

And, Kev is right about Andy Lee! Nicest guys you'll ever meet!

Chris

Good topic!

I enjoyed the storyline & I have already ordered the TPB for my daughter, who is 1/2 Native American. I'm curious to see what she thinks, as she enjoys all kinds of stories & has very proud feelings about her heritage.

The story really did feel like a jolt in the DD run - and if you hadn't read about Echo previously, I'm sure it was even *more* annoying/confusing/boring/whatever.

I didn't mind the 'break,' though from the Bendis stories & I'm really, really eager to get back into the 'regular' stuff.

I was entertained by the storyline & I give Mack lot of credit. Plus, it's hard to interrupt one of the best dang storylines in modern comics reading & not take some heat!

One of the most interesting aspects for me was that comics are a totally visual medium. You don't need any other senses to experience a comic. Echo's world is even more visual than that of a "regular" (re: you and me) person. Her story could only exist in the comics medium. Mack's art really demonstrates that.

Does that make sense? confused.gif

Chris

One of the most interesting aspects for me was that comics are a totally visual medium. You don't need any other senses to experience a comic. Echo's world is even more visual than that of a "regular" (re: you and me) person. Her story could only exist in the comics medium. Mack's art is really demonstrates that.

Does that make sense? confused.gif

Chris

Makes perfect sense to me, Chris. Excellent way of putting it. thumbsup2.gif

Sorry, but I'm one of those who jumped off the Mack truck. Just picked up the new DD today(Bendis' storyline is still one of the top comics of the 2003/2004). The extended break did fit well into the timeline(continuity) aspect of the new book. No secrets revealed!!

However, when you have a significant group of readers hooked on Bendis' hardboiled crime fiction you don't bring everything to a screeching halt by presenting a 5-issue storyarc of abstract work.

Kev

Similar to having Risso/Azzarello follow Loeb/Lee 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How about the further decline of that title... Azzarello/Risso to be followed up by Judd Winick and Dustin Nguyen?

It's fairly obvious that DC doesn't exactly understand just why Batman was such a hit. It wasn't just that Jim Lee drew it and Jeph Loeb wrote it... it was the combination of three industry heavyweights... Loeb, Lee AND Batman.

Now we get the Vertigo posterboys doing an adequate job but clearly, these guys are doing Batman Vertigo style... next we get Batman Wildstorm-style... still not right.

I was at least semi-excited about David Lapham and Bill Sienkiewicz.

Kev

I think a person either loves or hates David Mack's Daredevil. I don't think there is anything inbetween. I personally couldn't stand it. Should have been printed in a GN if anywhere at all. On a positive note it did make me appreciate Bendis that much more.

Just noticed in the latest "Marvel Previews" that they are going to make a TPB out of this storyline. With as many bad vibes that this storyline got here, I can't imagine them selling a whole lot of copies of it. Especially since Daredevil only appears in 4 or 5 panels throughout the story.

foreheadslap.gif