• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Spotlight 5... after 9 years a 9.8. What's left?

194 posts in this topic

Figured I'd contribute a little. :whee:

There is now a 9.8 Marvel Spotlight 5 in the shortly upcoming ComicLink auction. I thought my soon to be resub'd copy would be the first... not. The 9.8 copy offered is a white bordered, slightly angled copy (which would almost be necessary) to assure a NM/M copy. Marvel Spotlight 5 9.8... yeah... 9.8.

Off the top of my head... that leaves Werewolf 32 amongst the last of the major/semi-major Bronze keys to attain this level.

Aside from Moon Knight's first appearance (WW 32)... what other bronze beauties (besides GL 76) have not been found in perfect condition to date? And, what do we think this copy will garner? Is 15-20K+ out of the question?

The 9.8 copy offered is a white bordered, slightly angled copy (which would almost be necessary) to assure a NM/M copy.

*ignorant*

elaborate on that, please?

Its far more likely to achieve higher grades on books that have 1/16" to 1/8"+ miswraps at the spine. Specifically, comics that have white back covers. Most do, but some modern books had ads with dark/black backgrounds which makes them "harder" to find in high grade conversely.

The point is, the absence of ink/color along the spine eliminates a large, highly vulnerable area where spine stresses would otherwise be far more visible as they break color. When there is "no ink" on the surface of the paper to damage, many of the lighter, more subtle stresses are much less visible to the (grading) eye... even though they break paper fibers.

Books like that also have more "potential" from a pressing perspective as even though there may be some light, visible stresses along a white spine, they can often be "minimized" during that process. Only the indent (crease in the paper) needs to be addressed as there is no color breaking areas that would still be visible after the indent was flattened out.

I haven't checked the census, but I believe...

Marvel Premiere #1

Beware! #1

Demon #1

are also amongst Bronze keys and/or #1's that have not achieved a 9.8 grade as of yet.

Any others? I'm guessing there are some horror #1's/keys that would make the list too.

Beware! #1

Demon #1

Green Lantern #76

Marvel Premiere #1

Werewolf #32

Figured I'd contribute a little. :whee:

There is now a 9.8 Marvel Spotlight 5 in the shortly upcoming ComicLink auction. I thought my soon to be resub'd copy would be the first... not. The 9.8 copy offered is a white bordered, slightly angled copy (which would almost be necessary) to assure a NM/M copy. Marvel Spotlight 5 9.8... yeah... 9.8.

Off the top of my head... that leaves Werewolf 32 amongst the last of the major/semi-major Bronze keys to attain this level.

Aside from Moon Knight's first appearance (WW 32)... what other bronze beauties (besides GL 76) have not been found in perfect condition to date? And, what do we think this copy will garner? Is 15-20K+ out of the question?

OW pages and mis wrap or not, I'd be surprised if it didn't hit $15-20K. One and only 9.8 of a major bronze key, took hudreds of submissions to get a 9.8 and it may be a while before another comes up. I'd say that's a recipe for crazy money being thrown at it. What did the first Avengers 57 in 9.8 go for? $30+K?

The 9.8 copy offered is a white bordered, slightly angled copy (which would almost be necessary) to assure a NM/M copy.

*ignorant*

Its far more likely to achieve higher grades on books that have 1/16" to 1/8"+ miswraps at the spine. Specifically, comics that have white back covers. Most do, but some modern books had ads with dark/black backgrounds which makes them "harder" to find in high grade conversely.

The point is, the absence of ink/color along the spine eliminates a large, highly vulnerable area where spine stresses would otherwise be far more visible as they break color. When there is "no ink" on the surface of the paper to damage, many of the lighter, more subtle stresses are much less visible to the (grading) eye... even though they break paper fibers.

Books like that also have more "potential" from a pressing perspective as even though there may be some light, visible stresses along a white spine, they can often be "minimized" during that process. Only the indent (crease in the paper) needs to be addressed as there is no color breaking areas that would still be visible after the indent was flattened out.

Oh, you have NO idea how nice it is to read this from you. I've been saying this for years, but no one listens.

You have made my day. Yet another hole in the "black covers are rarer in high grade" myth.

:cloud9:

Besides, if you're gonna pick an idol, might as well go with the best, eh?

You could do much, much worse than the Godfather. But licking even the finest of boots leaves one with naught but polish on the tongue.

*ignorant*

Oh, you have NO idea how nice it is to read this from you. I've been saying this for years, but no one listens.

You have made my day. Yet another hole in the "black covers are rarer in high grade" myth.

:cloud9:

Thanks, but although I was impressed with a theory put forth by some poster on the topic of the "Black Cover Myth"... I'm still of the opinion that there is substance to it to some degree. I don't recall the poster's name, nor the thread, but was impressed with his argument that suggested that large areas of solid color in general were much easier to notice flaws on... as opposed to busy, graphic-intense covers that distract the eye.

That said, I'm under the impression, as stated in that thread and as been discussed here at other times, that "black" ink in particular was often composed of the left overs of many other colors which were mixed together. It was suggested long ago by a poster (perhaps Dicex?) who worked in the print industry that "fake black" ink was not as stable and durable. I don't recall the science behind it. Maybe it needed to cure longer or something? Just a guess.

Supporting this thought, have been a few collectors who recalled from personal experience... that many comics with black covers tended to transfer onto hands and fingers when handled and that other colors did not do so.

So... I still believe there is some merit to the idea that comics with Black Covers (mixed ink black) could be less durable... even considering the above mentioned theory I thought had merit too. I think black cover books (like any) have a far better chance at attaining high grades if the spine is miswrapped so only white is exposed.

Until someone can convince me otherwise that "fake, mixed black ink" is just as durable as true black or any other solid color.... I lean towards there being some truth in it. Perhaps there is actually some truth to both theories? Where's a scientist/printer when you need one?

I've noticed the "black ink coming off on your fingers" thing a lot... it sucks. I can't really recall having had that problem on other colors, but maybe it's more noticeable on black.

Interesting theory about the mixing, etc... way way way out of my league to speak about intelligently tho.