• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Spotlight 5... after 9 years a 9.8. What's left?

194 posts in this topic

It is, of course, all conjecture, but #14 was a key long, long ago, and even if it doesn't have the love it once did, it's still a more important book than 100 #5.

:screwy:

I agree...100 Page SS #5 is much more desireable, in my opinion, than Conan #14. Outside of Conan #1 and #24, the other issues, while they have a small fanbase, aren't what they used to be.

The Conans overall, while maybe a fantastic read are not the collectible force they once were. Conan #1 gets the nod as, possibly the beginning of the BA, and #24 with the introduction of Red Sonja but most everything in-between is for the hardcore Conan collectors to fawn over.

Jim

Demon 1 9.4... available

(sorry if "pimping" an available book in a non-sales thread is offense to anyone... it wasn't a plan)

This issue is the one that's so surprising considering the number of higher grade copies out there. Beware #1 not being far behind. I wasn't aware Demon #1 didn't have any 9.8s on the census and am really surprised...

Maybe it's because no one has really thought to submit one due to an impression of it not being worth it?

Jim

It is, of course, all conjecture, but #14 was a key long, long ago, and even if it doesn't have the love it once did, it's still a more important book than 100 #5.

:screwy:

I agree...100 Page SS #5 is much more desireable, in my opinion, than Conan #14. Outside of Conan #1 and #24, the other issues, while they have a small fanbase, aren't what they used to be.

The Conans overall, while maybe a fantastic read are not the collectible force they once were. Conan #1 gets the nod as, possibly the beginning of the BA, and #24 with the introduction of Red Sonja but most everything in-between is for the hardcore Conan collectors to fawn over.

Jim

Yeah, the BWS art is sweet in this little run, with #24 being exemplary. :cloud9:

Demon 1 9.4... available

(sorry if "pimping" an available book in a non-sales thread is offense to anyone... it wasn't a plan)

This issue is the one that's so surprising considering the number of higher grade copies out there. Beware #1 not being far behind. I wasn't aware Demon #1 didn't have any 9.8s on the census and am really surprised...

Maybe it's because no one has really thought to submit one due to an impression of it not being worth it?

Jim

I have no evidence to support this, at all, other than all of the copies I have looked at. I think there might have been something wrong with the Demon 1 print run. Bad paper, bad ink, I don't know. Every copy I've ever seen is completely smushed (Don't say it!). Ink reflectivity is universally bad and the corners flake, crack and chip if you look at them hard.

I haven't checked the census, but I believe...

Marvel Premiere #1

Beware! #1

Demon #1

are also amongst Bronze keys and/or #1's that have not achieved a 9.8 grade as of yet.

Any others? I'm guessing there are some horror #1's/keys that would make the list too.

Beware! #1

Demon #1

Green Lantern #76

Marvel Premiere #1

Werewolf #32

House of Secrets #92 has 6 in 9.6, zero in 9.8

Star Wars #1 35 cent variant, has 3 copies in 9.4, zero in 9.6 zero in 9.8

DC 100 page Super Spectacular #5 1 in 9.4, zero in 9.6, zero in 9.8

Those three books would sell for some serious coin if a 9.8 would hit the market.

House of Secrets 92... excellent!

Not sure I'd personally include any variants as there is a far lower amount of copies to start with. It's not quite the same.

Beware! #1

Cerebus #1

DC 100 page Super Spectacular #5

Demon #1

Green Lantern #76

House of Secrets #92

Marvel Premiere #1

Werewolf #32

There are no 9.8's of DC 100 page Super Spectacular #4 either (nor are there any 9.6's for that matter), and the last 9.4 to sell sold for more than the 9.4 DC 100 page Super Spectacular #5 did. It's the 1st 100 pager, has a killer Wrightson cover, and has all black front and back covers, making it really tough in grade! :o

Demon 1 9.4... available

Jim

I have no evidence to support this, at all, other than all of the copies I have looked at. I think there might have been something wrong with the Demon 1 print run. Bad paper, bad ink, I don't know. Every copy I've ever seen is completely smushed (Don't say it!). Ink reflectivity is universally bad and the corners flake, crack and chip if you look at them hard.

Maybe that's it, I don't know since I really haven't looked at them that critically, but I've seen many a longbox, especially in the 80s, where dealers would have dozens of this issue in higher grade for sale.

Jim

Marvel Premiere #1

Beware! #1

Demon #1

are also amongst Bronze keys and/or #1's that have not achieved a 9.8 grade as of yet.

Any others? I'm guessing there are some horror #1's/keys that would make the list too.

Beware! #1

Demon #1

Green Lantern #76

Marvel Premiere #1

Werewolf #32

House of Secrets #92 has 6 in 9.6, zero in 9.8

Star Wars #1 35 cent variant, has 3 copies in 9.4, zero in 9.6 zero in 9.8

Those three books would sell for some serious coin if a 9.8 would hit the market.

House of Secrets 92... excellent!

Not sure I'd personally include any variants as there is a far lower amount of copies to start with. It's not quite the same.

Beware! #1

Cerebus #1

DC 100 page Super Spectacular #5

Demon #1

Green Lantern #76

House of Secrets #92

Marvel Premiere #1

Werewolf #32

There are no 9.8's of DC 100 page Super Spectacular #4 either (nor are there any 9.6's for that matter), and the last 9.4 to sell sold for more than the 9.4 DC 100 page Super Spectacular #5 did. It's the 1st 100 pager, has a killer Wrightson cover, and has all black front and back covers, making it really tough in grade! :o

I'm a little embarassed...#4 is the issue I was referring to before. #5 is the love comic. :frustrated:

Either way, both issues trump Conan #14...

Jim

Nothing?

Nothing at all, huh?

Not a thing...

:whistle:

#11 I could buy as only "semi-key", but #14is a tad more "semi-key".....certainly more key than Beware #1, or even 100 Page #5....

I'll agree on the Beware 1, for sure.

100 pg 5 has notoriety that beware 1, conan 11, 14 do not have.

Conan only has one key issue as far as I'm concerned. I mean come on... I betcha half the people on the boards couldn't even identify #14 as first elric, let alone care..

[font:Arial Black]I will wholeheartedly agree that no one gives a krep about Beware 1[/font]either... 100 pg 5 though is at least on some want lists even if most of those people wear short shorts. Don't think I ever heard of anybody wanting conan 14 that didn't also want 1-13 and 15-24 ie not key ;)

Conan 11 is not even worth discussing really IMO although again, same with Beware 1.

Just call me nobody... love that cover.

:kidaround:

Demon 1 9.4... available

Jim

There's only (1) 9.6 Beware #1 as well Jim

As for Demon 1, if books like Kamandi 1 (426 subs) are sub'd to that degree... I don't see why Demon 1 (103 subs) has been overlooked. Especially considering it has greater sales potential (at least while HG numbers are low) than Kamandi. Demon 1 9.4s will outperform Kamandi 1 9.4's.

There appears to be some reason though judging from the disproportionate sub numbers. Maybe they are just harder to find above 9.4? No too much escapes the notice of submitters who make a living doing this.

some other #1s by DC from the BA that don't appear to have any 9.8 copies in the census as of today;

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love 1

Four Star Spectacular 1

Four-Star Battle Tales 1

Ghosts 1

Hercules Unbound 1

Korak, Son of Tarzan 1

Marvel Premiere #1

Beware! #1

Demon #1

Beware! #1

Demon #1

Green Lantern #76

Marvel Premiere #1

Werewolf #32

House of Secrets #92 has 6 in 9.6, zero in 9.8Star Wars #1 35 cent variant, has 3 copies in 9.4, zero in 9.6 zero in 9.8

a House of Secrets #92 would easily be a $20,000 dollar book at CGC 9.8!