• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Spotlight 5... after 9 years a 9.8. What's left?

194 posts in this topic

I haven't checked the census, but I believe...

Marvel Premiere #1

Beware! #1

Demon #1

are also amongst Bronze keys and/or #1's that have not achieved a 9.8 grade as of yet.

Any others? I'm guessing there are some horror #1's/keys that would make the list too.

Beware! #1

Demon #1

Green Lantern #76

Marvel Premiere #1

Werewolf #32

House of Secrets #92 has 6 in 9.6, zero in 9.8

Star Wars #1 35 cent variant, has 3 copies in 9.4, zero in 9.6 zero in 9.8

DC 100 page Super Spectacular #5 1 in 9.4, zero in 9.6, zero in 9.8

Those three books would sell for some serious coin if a 9.8 would hit the market.

I have been looking for a copy of a high grade DEMON #1 for awhile now, i would pay good money for a nice 9.4-9.6 copy of it.

I recently *finally* won a 9.6 for less than I lost the same book to the same buyer (now seller) about a year previous. I have a very nice 9.4 available. This is a tough book in grade... or to find graded.

I only ever recall that 1 9.6 (sold twice) on the open market. The others... never saw them. Not very available at all.

I'll post a scan of the 9.4... it's pretty nice.

I've noticed the "black ink coming off on your fingers" thing a lot... it sucks. I can't really recall having had that problem on other colors, but maybe it's more noticeable on black.

Interesting theory about the mixing, etc... way way way out of my league to speak about intelligently tho.

I have noticed that some older bronze black covers "seem to" have less of a glossy feel and appearance to them. The mystery remains unanswered.

(shrug)

I haven't checked the census, but I believe...

Marvel Premiere #1

Beware! #1

Demon #1

are also amongst Bronze keys and/or #1's that have not achieved a 9.8 grade as of yet.

Any others? I'm guessing there are some horror #1's/keys that would make the list too.

Beware! #1

Demon #1

Green Lantern #76

Marvel Premiere #1

Werewolf #32

House of Secrets #92 has 6 in 9.6, zero in 9.8

Star Wars #1 35 cent variant, has 3 copies in 9.4, zero in 9.6 zero in 9.8

DC 100 page Super Spectacular #5 1 in 9.4, zero in 9.6, zero in 9.8

Those three books would sell for some serious coin if a 9.8 would hit the market.

House of Secrets 92... excellent!

Not sure I'd personally include any variants as there is a far lower amount of copies to start with. It's not quite the same.

Beware! #1

Cerebus #1

DC 100 page Super Spectacular #5

Demon #1

Green Lantern #76

House of Secrets #92

Marvel Premiere #1

Werewolf #32

The 9.8 copy offered is a white bordered, slightly angled copy (which would almost be necessary) to assure a NM/M copy.

*ignorant*

elaborate on that, please?

Its far more likely to achieve higher grades on books that have 1/16" to 1/8"+ miswraps at the spine. Specifically, comics that have white back covers. Most do, but some modern books had ads with dark/black backgrounds which makes them "harder" to find in high grade conversely.

The point is, the absence of ink/color along the spine eliminates a large, highly vulnerable area where spine stresses would otherwise be far more visible as they break color. When there is "no ink" on the surface of the paper to damage, many of the lighter, more subtle stresses are much less visible to the (grading) eye... even though they break paper fibers.

Books like that also have more "potential" from a pressing perspective as even though there may be some light, visible stresses along a white spine, they can often be "minimized" during that process. Only the indent (crease in the paper) needs to be addressed as there is no color breaking areas that would still be visible after the indent was flattened out.

Oh, you have NO idea how nice it is to read this from you. I've been saying this for years, but no one listens.

You have made my day. Yet another hole in the "black covers are rarer in high grade" myth.

:cloud9:

Thanks, but although I was impressed with a theory put forth by some poster on the topic of the "Black Cover Myth"... I'm still of the opinion that there is substance to it to some degree. I don't recall the poster's name, nor the thread, but was impressed with his argument that suggested that large areas of solid color in general were much easier to notice flaws on... as opposed to busy, graphic-intense covers that distract the eye.

:hi:

That poster, unless I'm smoking crack, was me.

Besides, if you're gonna pick an idol, might as well go with the best, eh?

You could do much, much worse than the Godfather. But licking even the finest of boots leaves one with naught but polish on the tongue.

Mmmm...boot leather.... :cloud9:

But no, no toadying involved. Bruce is one of the most respected people here, so having him agree, even if only in part, to my Black Cover Myth, is like having Bill Clinton write a cover blurb for your book "How To Pick Up Slutty Chicks In DC", so I thought I'd say so.

You're just not used to people being earnest...you jaded cynic, you...

The 9.8 copy offered is a white bordered, slightly angled copy (which would almost be necessary) to assure a NM/M copy.

*ignorant*

elaborate on that, please?

Its far more likely to achieve higher grades on books that have 1/16" to 1/8"+ miswraps at the spine. Specifically, comics that have white back covers. Most do, but some modern books had ads with dark/black backgrounds which makes them "harder" to find in high grade conversely.

The point is, the absence of ink/color along the spine eliminates a large, highly vulnerable area where spine stresses would otherwise be far more visible as they break color. When there is "no ink" on the surface of the paper to damage, many of the lighter, more subtle stresses are much less visible to the (grading) eye... even though they break paper fibers.

Books like that also have more "potential" from a pressing perspective as even though there may be some light, visible stresses along a white spine, they can often be "minimized" during that process. Only the indent (crease in the paper) needs to be addressed as there is no color breaking areas that would still be visible after the indent was flattened out.

Oh, you have NO idea how nice it is to read this from you. I've been saying this for years, but no one listens.

You have made my day. Yet another hole in the "black covers are rarer in high grade" myth.

:cloud9:

Thanks, but although I was impressed with a theory put forth by some poster on the topic of the "Black Cover Myth"... I'm still of the opinion that there is substance to it to some degree. I don't recall the poster's name, nor the thread, but was impressed with his argument that suggested that large areas of solid color in general were much easier to notice flaws on... as opposed to busy, graphic-intense covers that distract the eye.

:hi:

That poster, unless I'm smoking crack, was me.

Sorry... I suspected as much, but I'm not here that much and my short-term is soooo bad.

:headbang:

Nothing?

Nothing at all, huh?

Not a thing...

:whistle:

#11 I could buy as only "semi-key", but #14is a tad more "semi-key".....certainly more key than Beware #1, or even 100 Page #5....

I'll agree on the Beware 1, for sure.

100 pg 5 has notoriety that beware 1, conan 11, 14 do not have.

Conan only has one key issue as far as I'm concerned. I mean come on... I betcha half the people on the boards couldn't even identify #14 as first elric, let alone care..

I will wholeheartedly agree that no one gives a krep about Beware 1 either... 100 pg 5 though is at least on some want lists even if most of those people wear short shorts. Don't think I ever heard of anybody wanting conan 14 that didn't also want 1-13 and 15-24 ie not key ;)

Conan 11 is not even worth discussing really IMO although again, same with Beware 1.

meh.

I betcha there are far more people looking for a Conan #14 in 9.8 (it surprises me there are none) than 100 Page #5...

hm

I mean, come on...what would be cooler than a #1-24 run in 9.8? It's likely the only early Bronze run one could put together for under....say....$30K...if those two ever show up.

Forget the Adams GL run.

It is, of course, all conjecture, but #14 was a key long, long ago, and even if it doesn't have the love it once did, it's still a more important book than 100 #5.

It is, of course, all conjecture, but #14 was a key long, long ago, and even if it doesn't have the love it once did, it's still a more important book than 100 #5.

:screwy: